LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Is Seattle going to have cap casualties?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
I have a buddy who is a seahawks fan....I asked him today what he thought of FA....he wasn't happy. Particularly wasn't happy with some of the players who said they would stay for a discount and then jumped the first contract out of town.
Originally posted by Janitor:
I have a buddy who is a seahawks fan....I asked him today what he thought of FA....he wasn't happy. Particularly wasn't happy with some of the players who said they would stay for a discount and then jumped the first contract out of town.

That's only natural. Happens all the time. Players want to portray that they are humble, all about winning, not all about the money..etc. It helps their stock. I don't ever blame them for taking the best deal possible. They should take the money. Hate to break it to your friend, but players don't have an undying loyalty to your favorite team, or any team for that matter.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by SofaKing:

That's only natural. Happens all the time. Players want to portray that they are humble, all about winning, not all about the money..etc. It helps their stock. I don't ever blame them for taking the best deal possible. They should take the money. Hate to break it to your friend, but players don't have an undying loyalty to your favorite team, or any team for that matter.

yeah, but we are talking about Seahawks fans, who buy into the whole "I'm here for the fans and the team" lies their players constantly spew
yeah, but we are talking about Seahawks fans, who buy into the whole "I'm here for the fans and the team" lies their players constantly spew

Yeah that's what annoys me the most about them. The whole 12th man mantra where they put themselves up on this pedestal, like all players should feel honored to play for them or something. They should take less money to play for you....why exactly? I know they just won the SB, but last time I checked 48 SBs have been played, only 1 has been won by the Seahawks. So it's not like they monopolize the thing lol. The 12th man was stolen from A&M. Players have that type of loyalty to their alma mater. Professional sports is all about business, it isn't college.

I'll stop ranting now lol.

Me neither. Heck, I didn't even boo ARod

The only thing that's surprised me in FA, so far, is the contract that Browner got . . .
Not sure how much is guaranteed but, I sure didn't expect he would get 3 years.
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:
Me neither. Heck, I didn't even boo ARod

The only thing that's surprised me in FA, so far, is the contract that Browner got . . .
Not sure how much is guaranteed but, I sure didn't expect he would get 3 years.

You didn't even boo ARod!? Now THAT takes some tremendous willpower.

I'm also surprised Browner got the kind of money he did. I really don't see any of your losses as being a big deal. Everything hinged on bringing back Bennett IMO. Surprised he didn't get more, but I think it was a very fair deal considering he was a rotational player, albeit a dynamic one.

Though it stings a little watching players from the team I root for leave, I can not be mad at them. To be young and win a ring in your rookie contract, I would be looking for a payday too. I see a lot of you posters on here talk about your teams players with in depth knowledge. That shows me that you really get to know these guys and root them on for who they are as individuals too. I know a lot of these guys as well as your team players have families that they take care of. I can't be mad at a player in a sport where nothing is guaranteed to look out for themselves or their families. I know its all lip service when a player talks about a discount. In the end you have to look out for yourself and not the fans feelings.
I can see SEA getting multiple compensatory selections next draft as the bill comes due on Wilson and the back end of the defense. Just in time they should picking in double digits as we have the last couple seasons. I am referencing the pro football tall article on the comings and goings of the NFCW
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Stanley:
Geez, finally won something and now EVERYTHING Pete and John do from now on will be golden. I think Seattle fans will be in for a rude awakening next year. EVERYTHING went in their favor last year, good luck replicating that.

in the aftermath of winning a super bowl, they gonna believe they're repeating until their season ends next year. cant really blame them, its a believe it when i see it thing with every defending champion. remove your fandom and any real fan would tell you its highly unlikely to be replicated.

Yup. I am aware that even if the Hawks were able to keep their entire SB winning roster into this upcoming season. It is very difficult to get back to the Super Bowl, and then even on top of that, win. The difference between making playoffs and not making it entirely can come down to one game, and all it takes to ruin that is a bad play, an injury, I don't really like to complain about ref calls so I won't go there. The difference between HFA (which often is your biggest advantage to getting to the SB) and a #5/#6 seed again can be just one game.

Anyway, I'll have faith that this upcoming Seahawks team is CAPABLE of winning the SB again next season, but it's not like they are a clear-cut favorite. The odds are definitely not in their favor. Heck Niner fans prior to this last season all thought they'd get back to the Super Bowl (and win it) and what were the odds of a SB losing team getting back to the Super Bowl the next year? something like 20%? Getting to a SB is difficult, all you can do is root for your team and hope they play the way they are capable of playing. Sadly this isn't the NBA where you have best out of 7 to make up for a bad game (or even two).
Originally posted by zaghawk:
The difference between HFA (which often is your biggest advantage to getting to the SB) and a #5/#6 seed again can be just one game.

This is a very apt comment, and SF fans know it all too well. Had that New Orleans game gone the way it should have, the playoffs would have shaped up differently. With the way the Seahawks play at home, I can only hope that the number 1 seed is not determined by garbage officiating ever again.

Originally posted by 12thfan:
I think more than anything with Tate he was a victim of to much fat in the ranks. Kearse and Baldwin both bring comparable value to the team and both are much cheaper. Having three starter quality #2's is a nice but it also takes time off the field for someone and ties up a roster spot that could be used to find new talent and that is a big factor for Seattle because I don't believe they are done looking for a true #1. Rice may very well resign and that would help but he is not the long term solution. I expect the FO to probably draft one or two tall and fast receivers to compete for playing time. Last year we drafted a receiver in the 4th round and ended up releasing him because Kearse and another FA receiver (picked off waivers from AZ but lost his name) both beat him out. Sometimes to much competition can equate to not enough roster spots.
You really think Jermaine Kearse brings comparable value to Golden Tate? Give me a break.
Originally posted by Stanley:
Geez, finally won something and now EVERYTHING Pete and John do from now on will be golden. I think Seattle fans will be in for a rude awakening next year. EVERYTHING went in their favor last year, good luck replicating that.
Really though, there are fans like for any team. Look at people around here. We have people here that act like the draft swings from Baalke's nuts like a pendulum or something, even though 2012 was catastrophically bad.
You didn't even boo ARod!? Now THAT takes some tremendous willpower.

I'm also surprised Browner got the kind of money he did. I really don't see any of your losses as being a big deal. Everything hinged on bringing back Bennett IMO. Surprised he didn't get more, but I think it was a very fair deal considering he was a rotational player, albeit a dynamic one.

Re: ARod . . .
Indeed, he's about as insincere as they come.

Re: the rest . . .
- Yep. I think most fans felt Bennett was the most important piece to retain.
- Not only was I surprised Browner got three years (thought he'd get 2 at most) I was a bit surprised Thurmond got only one (thought he'd get 2 at least)
- Still a little sad about Big Red, he was on local radio recently and, apparently, they didn't even offer a restructure of any kind.
Champs lose FA's to other teams, same offseason other teams lose FA to other teams, and the same offseason other teams lose FA's to the Champs.

Name one team that returned all their players?

Every year teams are different from the year before. You would think only the Hawks are losing FA's by reading this thread. You win or lose with the team you have in the current year. Who is to say a team cannot get better by losing players and having talent step in? Isn't that the Niners "2012" draft strategy?
[ Edited by Brahn on Mar 17, 2014 at 10:59 AM ]
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by Brahn:
Champs lose FA's to other teams, same offseason other teams lose FA to other teams, and the same offseason other teams lose FA's to the Champs.

Name one team that returned all their players?

Every year teams are different from the year before. You would think only the Hawks are losing FA's by reading this thread. You win or lose with the team you have in the current year. Who is to say a team cannot get better by losing players and having talent step in? Isn't that the Niners "2012" draft strategy?

This is the hawks thread. Doh.
Share 49ersWebzone