There are 172 users in the forums

Is Seattle going to have cap casualties?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I do wonder how the Revis and Talib contracts will effect Richard Sherman's deal.
  • JoRo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I do wonder how the Revis and Talib contracts will effect Richard Sherman's deal.

I think it's good news honestly. Prior to FA I thought he was going to get $14m/yr. Revis barely got $12m for 1 year. I bet Sherman gets something like 5/$60m.
I don't think there's any way Sherman will settle for the same amount as Revis got. Granted Revis is essentially a one year rental for New England.

Really makes you wonder WTF Oakland was thinking giving Nnamdi $15 million per year about 5-6 years ago.
Sherman will get $11-13mill per but the dollar amount is pointless when you get that high in the $$$. Its more about the terms of the contract.
  • JoRo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
I don't think there's any way Sherman will settle for the same amount as Revis got. Granted Revis is essentially a one year rental for New England.

Really makes you wonder WTF Oakland was thinking giving Nnamdi $15 million per year about 5-6 years ago.

Revis could only get $12m for 1 year. Sherman would be getting it for 5. In addition I think pointing out that only 1 CB makes over $10m right now shows what the market is.
Originally posted by JoRo:

Revis could only get $12m for 1 year. Sherman would be getting it for 5. In addition I think pointing out that only 1 CB makes over $10m right now shows what the market is.

Seahawks are the only team that's going to pay him , and I don't think there going to offer as much as you think.
  • JoRo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Originally posted by JoRo:

Seahawks are the only team that's going to pay him , and I don't think there going to offer as much as you think.

I would be ecstatic if he got less than 5/60m.

In other news, Miller took a paycut, freed up $3m this year, $2m next year.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Clemons and Bryant were more important then Tate, by a long shot. Good luck stopping the run now.

I agree that the D loss has been far greater than the O loss . . . so far (especially Big Red, who was such an inspirational leader).
But, seems a bit early to assess "what's left" - think I'll at least wait till FA is over and the draft has been conducted - not to mention trades that may occur ;-)
[ Edited by LisaTwelve on Mar 15, 2014 at 1:25 PM ]
isnt their corner thurmond still out there looking for work too?
Thurmond signed in NY with the Giants, He was our slot guy last year but that is the only year he was productive. The previous three he spent injured. Originally brought in to replace Trufant who was getting long in the tooth, Thurmond was originally red shirted his first year coming out of college with a knee injury, Slotted as the starter his second year but got injured again and opened the door for Browner who never relinquished the outside spot. His third year again injured opened a door for Sherman and you know that story and finally in his last year served a 4 game suspension for pot that opened the door for Maxwell who also beat him out moving him to the slot.

I fully expected him to be gone. He is obviously injury prone and now facing a year long suspension if popped for a 4th time. Not someone you can rely on and has been beat out at every opportunity. Good player with a ton of potential but not worth investing cap and a roster spot in unless you are desperate.

McDonald played very well for us last year but it comes with a caveat. Every D-Lineman played above expected level last year. So you have to question the guy vs the environment he is playing in. Bennett, Avril, Mebane and our secondary created a ton of chaos that fed to the potential reason he was so productive, It's not like he has a history of such, in fact we cut him to start the season and then brought him back. He is another guy playing for a contract who got a very nice one elsewhere. It remains to be seen if the next man up could be as productive or maybe even more so if it is the system more than the man.

Big Red is one of my favorite Seahawks and will always have a place in my heart but that has more to do with how pivitol he was with a young defense still trying to learn its identity, The last couple years he has been less important as others have stepped up and replaced his leadership and performance. His playing time this season was significantly reduced as the year went on. He only played 18 snaps in the super bowl and if you paid attention our run defense and defense overall improved as the year went on and was at it's peak when Red was seeing his least amount of playing time.

There is a reason they didn't even make an offer to him. Great guy but he was phased out of our defense. He however will be a great addition to Gus Bradley and the Jags. Another team trying to establish a defense and could use guys like Bryant to help develop the talent around him. I wish him well and will follow his career but his departure is not a surprise.

Tate is a question mark for most. He can be a dynamic player, has sure hands and excellent YAC but is still lacking a little in his route running. If he could get the routes down and execute he could potentially be a #1 ala Steve Smith but after 4 years I think the FO decided he will never hit that level and that is why he is playing now for 6 mill a year instead of 10 or more.

I think more than anything with Tate he was a victim of to much fat in the ranks. Kearse and Baldwin both bring comparable value to the team and both are much cheaper. Having three starter quality #2's is a nice but it also takes time off the field for someone and ties up a roster spot that could be used to find new talent and that is a big factor for Seattle because I don't believe they are done looking for a true #1. Rice may very well resign and that would help but he is not the long term solution. I expect the FO to probably draft one or two tall and fast receivers to compete for playing time. Last year we drafted a receiver in the 4th round and ended up releasing him because Kearse and another FA receiver (picked off waivers from AZ but lost his name) both beat him out. Sometimes to much competition can equate to not enough roster spots.

Those are really the biggest departures that I can think of off the top of my head. I will miss them and helping us win the super bowl will etch all of them in my heart but if you want to sustain success you have to let people go and be ready to replace them. Right now we already have answers for each departure and we still have the rest of FA, cut downs (where Schneider does a ton of great things) and the draft before competition starts again.

They all will be missed but if the past is any indication since Pete and John took over they will all be replaced and upgrades overall would be absolutely no surprise.

This thread...
Originally posted by 12thfan:
Thurmond signed in NY with the Giants, He was our slot guy last year but that is the only year he was productive. The previous three he spent injured. Originally brought in to replace Trufant who was getting long in the tooth, Thurmond was originally red shirted his first year coming out of college with a knee injury, Slotted as the starter his second year but got injured again and opened the door for Browner who never relinquished the outside spot. His third year again injured opened a door for Sherman and you know that story and finally in his last year served a 4 game suspension for pot that opened the door for Maxwell who also beat him out moving him to the slot.

I fully expected him to be gone. He is obviously injury prone and now facing a year long suspension if popped for a 4th time. Not someone you can rely on and has been beat out at every opportunity. Good player with a ton of potential but not worth investing cap and a roster spot in unless you are desperate.

McDonald played very well for us last year but it comes with a caveat. Every D-Lineman played above expected level last year. So you have to question the guy vs the environment he is playing in. Bennett, Avril, Mebane and our secondary created a ton of chaos that fed to the potential reason he was so productive, It's not like he has a history of such, in fact we cut him to start the season and then brought him back. He is another guy playing for a contract who got a very nice one elsewhere. It remains to be seen if the next man up could be as productive or maybe even more so if it is the system more than the man.

Big Red is one of my favorite Seahawks and will always have a place in my heart but that has more to do with how pivitol he was with a young defense still trying to learn its identity, The last couple years he has been less important as others have stepped up and replaced his leadership and performance. His playing time this season was significantly reduced as the year went on. He only played 18 snaps in the super bowl and if you paid attention our run defense and defense overall improved as the year went on and was at it's peak when Red was seeing his least amount of playing time.

There is a reason they didn't even make an offer to him. Great guy but he was phased out of our defense. He however will be a great addition to Gus Bradley and the Jags. Another team trying to establish a defense and could use guys like Bryant to help develop the talent around him. I wish him well and will follow his career but his departure is not a surprise.

Tate is a question mark for most. He can be a dynamic player, has sure hands and excellent YAC but is still lacking a little in his route running. If he could get the routes down and execute he could potentially be a #1 ala Steve Smith but after 4 years I think the FO decided he will never hit that level and that is why he is playing now for 6 mill a year instead of 10 or more.

I think more than anything with Tate he was a victim of to much fat in the ranks. Kearse and Baldwin both bring comparable value to the team and both are much cheaper. Having three starter quality #2's is a nice but it also takes time off the field for someone and ties up a roster spot that could be used to find new talent and that is a big factor for Seattle because I don't believe they are done looking for a true #1. Rice may very well resign and that would help but he is not the long term solution. I expect the FO to probably draft one or two tall and fast receivers to compete for playing time. Last year we drafted a receiver in the 4th round and ended up releasing him because Kearse and another FA receiver (picked off waivers from AZ but lost his name) both beat him out. Sometimes to much competition can equate to not enough roster spots.

Those are really the biggest departures that I can think of off the top of my head. I will miss them and helping us win the super bowl will etch all of them in my heart but if you want to sustain success you have to let people go and be ready to replace them. Right now we already have answers for each departure and we still have the rest of FA, cut downs (where Schneider does a ton of great things) and the draft before competition starts again.

They all will be missed but if the past is any indication since Pete and John took over they will all be replaced and upgrades overall would be absolutely no surprise.

Basically, all the players Seahawks lost in free agency, aren't as good as their fans made them out to be during the season.

I wonder what current players fall in that category? I guess I'll find out next free agency.
This offseason aint even that bad for them, next offseason will be allot worse for them just like with us. They have to make much harder decisions next year on who is gonna get paid. If they dont nail the next couple drafts they wont be king of the mountain for long. When Lynch starts to breakdown theyre screwed.
[ Edited by 5280High on Mar 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM ]
Originally posted by 12thfan:

Geez, finally won something and now EVERYTHING Pete and John do from now on will be golden. I think Seattle fans will be in for a rude awakening next year. EVERYTHING went in their favor last year, good luck replicating that.
Originally posted by Stanley:
Geez, finally won something and now EVERYTHING Pete and John do from now on will be golden. I think Seattle fans will be in for a rude awakening next year. EVERYTHING went in their favor last year, good luck replicating that.

in the aftermath of winning a super bowl, they gonna believe they're repeating until their season ends next year. cant really blame them, its a believe it when i see it thing with every defending champion. remove your fandom and any real fan would tell you its highly unlikely to be replicated.
Share 49ersWebzone