LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 142 users in the forums

Is Seattle going to have cap casualties?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I think the curse happens to the entire franchise. I'm sorry, but I don't see Seattle even making the playoffs this year. They're gonna hype 'em up to be badasses, but they'll only put their best games in against us, 10-6 and getting snubbed by the Cards seems right for Seattle. Russell Wilson isn't studying his playbooks anymore, he's studying scripts for commercials, and divorce papers. These guys just got #1, they're gonna be soft as s**t, the hunger isn't as potent, and won't be for another year probably (when reality sets in).

The wheels are gonna f**king fall off, and that piece of s**t neon green trailer is gonna sink into the lake, and drown those sons of b***hes.

Originally posted by Maulbert:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Lets compare combine Wondelic scores, shall we?

Kaep - 38
Wilson - 28

I got your cerebral right here

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/05/andrew-luck-russell-wilson-colin-kaepernick-robert-griffin-cam-newtown-running-quarterbacks-analysis/

From the article:
Kaepernick does not read the defense before the snap. You can tell because he shows no understanding of this basic quarterbacking concept: When one receiver is covered, it often means another receiver is not. There's no awareness of route combinations.

Terrible article. Shows no understanding of the 49ers offense. The primary receiver on the play is determined by the QB making pre-snap reads. That's how the 49ers make it easy on Kap, so he doesn't have to cycle through reads post-snap. This is done not because Kap lacks the intelligence, but because he lacks the experience of playing in a pro-style system.

Wilson had 4 years experience in a pro-style offense in college, playing for NC State and Wisconsin. Kap came from a college pistol read-option offense. It should be no surprise that Wilson is a bit more polished working through progressions. Kap still has tremendous growth potential as he gains experience, and he's already a lethal weapon. The ability to work through progressions with consistency will come with experience.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jun 7, 2014 at 6:16 PM ]
Originally posted by Quest4six:
But i'll disagree with you here

Our draft proved why our franchise has been, and will continue to be successful.
The Hawks draft proved why the offseason can be challenging when you have the last pick of each round

What exactly has your draft proved? I would love to hear a reasonable explanation for how your players who haven't even made your roster suddenly prove you will be successful.

Also since when did Seattle need to pick in the top of the draft to be successful?

Comparing our rosters you have one elite player drafted outside where you picked in the first round this year in Bowman who was a 3rd rounder and a couple guys at the very tail end of their careers in Boldin and Gore (2nd and 3rd rounders) everyone of your other guys that are usually considered elite were taken earlier. Much earlier for most. Aldon Smith 7th pick, Michael Crabtree 10th pick, Patrick Willis 11th pick, Vernon Davis 6th pick, Mike Iupati 17th pick. Anthony Davis was the 11th pick but I wouldn't put him in the elite class.

Seattle on the other hand has Lynch, Okung and Thomas early in the 1st and no one else. Harvin was but didn't contribute to getting us to a super bowl. Guys like Chancellor and Sherman were 5th round picks, Baldwin and Kearse were both UDFA's but for the most part the Seahawks have assembled the roster of players taken after the first round.

Your key contributors for your recent success has come from mostly guys selected well before the end of the 1st round via draft and FA and a few other contributors. Seattle's success the last few years has been a few guys early or via trade and the bulk of the roster coming later in the draft, much later.

So what about this draft class ties it to draft classes of the past? What has it proven? What makes you so supremely confident that this draft proved anything as of yet?
Originally posted by marksbrother:
Drafts by their nature are a leap of faith. Trying to grade them before a snap has been made is a lesson in futility. Likewise relying on red shirted players to impact also.

I'll go light on you because I can tell you just started watching football this year (that seahawk stereotype I was talking about)
Great drafts can create competition in all the right places, something my franchise did. When you are battling out a roster spot in TC you are getting valuable experience and making yourself a better player.
The niners have such a deep roster that all of our rookies are going to have to come in and compete for a spot. Nobody has a clear cut starting job.

Seattle on the other hand drafted because they had holes.
Holes in the receiving core, offensive line, defensive line.

So what I'm saying is that I am confident our needs have been met because the positions in question all have 5+ people competing for them.
Now on your side, P rich gets to start, Britt gets to start, and Cassius Marsh will probably see some snaps.
Other than that... Thats pretty much it.

So if Richardson turns out to be a bust, Britt/Marsh gets injured, you are no better than you were before the draft.
Originally posted by 12thfan:
What exactly has your draft proved? I would love to hear a reasonable explanation for how your players who haven't even made your roster suddenly prove you will be successful.

Also since when did Seattle need to pick in the top of the draft to be successful?

Comparing our rosters you have one elite player drafted outside where you picked in the first round this year in Bowman who was a 3rd rounder and a couple guys at the very tail end of their careers in Boldin and Gore (2nd and 3rd rounders) everyone of your other guys that are usually considered elite were taken earlier. Much earlier for most. Aldon Smith 7th pick, Michael Crabtree 10th pick, Patrick Willis 11th pick, Vernon Davis 6th pick, Mike Iupati 17th pick. Anthony Davis was the 11th pick but I wouldn't put him in the elite class.

Seattle on the other hand has Lynch, Okung and Thomas early in the 1st and no one else. Harvin was but didn't contribute to getting us to a super bowl. Guys like Chancellor and Sherman were 5th round picks, Baldwin and Kearse were both UDFA's but for the most part the Seahawks have assembled the roster of players taken after the first round.

Your key contributors for your recent success has come from mostly guys selected well before the end of the 1st round via draft and FA and a few other contributors. Seattle's success the last few years has been a few guys early or via trade and the bulk of the roster coming later in the draft, much later.

So what about this draft class ties it to draft classes of the past? What has it proven? What makes you so supremely confident that this draft proved anything as of yet?

See above
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Obviously we cant know how the draft class will pan out, but it's all about measuring the selections you make against the perceived areas of need. It remains to be seen how things play out, but one could make the case that the 2014 draft class as well as the guys who were redshirted could, in theory, give the 49ers the edge this season.

The 49ers had areas with holes (secondary, d-line/pass rush) and for the most part they filled them. I personally couldn't stand how our secondary would always come up small in the big games, so I'm glad Rogers, Goldson, Whitner and Brown were turned over in the course of two seasons.
Originally posted by Maulbert:
Lets compare combine Wondelic scores, shall we?

Kaep - 38
Wilson - 28

I got your cerebral right here

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/05/andrew-luck-russell-wilson-colin-kaepernick-robert-griffin-cam-newtown-running-quarterbacks-analysis/

From the article:
Kaepernick does not read the defense before the snap. You can tell because he shows no understanding of this basic quarterbacking concept: When one receiver is covered, it often means another receiver is not. There's no awareness of route combinations.

It is true because Andy Benoit says it is? Look, there may indeed be some truth to it. Perhaps it is systemic ... like say when the play is started 5 swconds before the clock runs down. I was just refuting the statement regarding whether he is cerebral. Intelligence tests don't lie.
It is true because Andy Benoit says it is? Look, there may indeed be some truth to it. Perhaps it is systemic ... like say when the play is started 5 swconds before the clock runs down. I was just refuting the statement regarding whether he is cerebral. Intelligence tests don't lie.

Yeah. And Blaine Gabbert got a 42.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I'll go light on you because I can tell you just started watching football this year (that seahawk stereotype I was talking about)
Great drafts can create competition in all the right places, something my franchise did. When you are battling out a roster spot in TC you are getting valuable experience and making yourself a better player.
The niners have such a deep roster that all of our rookies are going to have to come in and compete for a spot. Nobody has a clear cut starting job.
Seattle on the other hand drafted because they had holes.
Holes in the receiving core, offensive line, defensive line.
newdddd
So what I'm saying is that I am confident our needs have been met because the positions in question all have 5+ people competing for them.
Now on your side, P rich gets to start, Britt gets to start, and Cassius Marsh will probably see some snaps.
Other than that... Thats pretty much it.

So if Richardson turns out to be a bust, Britt/Marsh gets injured, you are no better than you were before the draft.

I'm sorry but this has to be the worst reasoning I have ever seen. How do you make a post this misinformed and without a stitch of knowledge about your players drafted, or apparently the needs of either team? And then say that Seahawks fans are new? Really? Wow that is really something.

Do you even realize you lost 3 starters in your secondary? That's just your secondary. Do you think Gore, Boldin and Cowboy will never slow down? Aldon and Culliver won't see any suspensions? You know Bowman won't start the season healthy and may not get back to form until the end of the year or possibly even later? That's 8 spots right there. Then you have to figure attrition through injury. What if Kilgore is to big a down grade from Goodwin?

None of Seattle's draft picks will be penciled in as starters because of existing depth. Zero. Will they see playing time? If they show they deserve it yes but that is partly because Seattle rotates players as good or better than any team in the league and that is how you prepare your guys to become starters and be ready when you need them, not to mention the best form of training and in addition to training camp and OTA's. You know those things every team does, not just you guys.

Any fan of any team could say the exact same thing you just said but it would still be ridiculous and just make them look like they are either uninformed or just a new fan. I rarely talk about our draft class or even the guys we shelved from last year because I have been around this game long enough to see things not turn out the way I thought they would. I've learned my lessons with draft picks like Aaron Curry and if you have been around even just a couple years you should also know about AJ Jenkins. Sometimes things don't go as planned and these guys stink it up. Your current draft class could end up being horrible for all you know.

Consider the last couple of years you guys have passed on Sherman, Baldwin and Luke Willson and spent 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks on guys like Jenkins, Culliver and McDonald. The Seahawks took those players you passed on with two in the 5th round and one UDFA. Cully and McDonald could still turn out to be good players but so far they have been vastly outplayed by the other three. I cannot think of a single scenario since Harbaugh and Pete have been with out teams that you can point out where the Niners got the better end of that type of deal. Feel free to enlighten me though.

That pretty much summarizes the cap casualties also. While you guys have been living off the talent from your high drafting days and waiting for the young new talent to step up and take over we have built a super bowl champion roster and mostly with guys other teams passed on or were casting off. I don't know why suddenly we wouldn't be able to find the type of talent we have consistently found and developed over the last few years.

This has just turned into an ongoing argument and is going nowhere.
Share 49ersWebzone