LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

Is Seattle going to have cap casualties?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Unfortunately, Calvin Johnson may have broken the curse with his near 2,000 yard receiving season. Let's hope he was an anomaly.

I'm not wishing for injury, just an awful year with many touchdowns against him

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/photos/1205/madden-cover-curse/1/
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Unfortunately, Calvin Johnson may have broken the curse with his near 2,000 yard receiving season. Let's hope he was an anomaly.

I think the only way people will claim the curse didn't take affect is if the hawks repeat. But lets be honest even if the hawks didn't lose a single person this off season. Chances of a repeat in the NFL are just very very slim.
Originally posted by zaghawk:

I think the only way people will claim the curse didn't take affect is if the hawks repeat. But lets be honest even if the hawks didn't lose a single person this off season. Chances of a repeat in the NFL are just very very slim.

Good point, I can see someone stretching it: "Although Richard Sherman had an all-pro year, the Seahawks were eliminated in the NFC championship by Rival SF 49ers -- Madden Curse"

I still can't argue with that kind of curse.

Good point, I can see someone stretching it: "Although Richard Sherman had an all-pro year, the Seahawks were eliminated in the NFC championship by Rival SF 49ers -- Madden Curse"

The chances of the niners making it to a 4th straight nfccg also very slim.

The chances of the niners making it to a 4th straight nfccg also very slim.

Agreed, but I'll take a slim chance over an absolute no. Considering the stability of our core, I like our odds over an preceding 3x conference contender.

Some people say the Madden curse started with the PS2 era onwards (Garrison Hearst was on one of the covers in 1998 when he ended up with the unfortunate ankle injury) but if you look at some of the guys over the years, the curse is something that makes sense retroactively.

For example, Eddie George in 2000 (Madden 2001 cover) was blamed for Tennessee's loss vs Baltimore when he bobbled what turned into a pick 6 for Ray Lewis. He still had a great year, and the team was the number 1 seed in the AFC that year. (The AFC Central was fun to watch in these years with Baltimore, Tennessee, Jacksonville, and Pittsburgh)

Like you said, anything short of repeating and people claim the curse lives on.
Originally posted by JoRo:
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Originally posted by 12thfan:
To be fair there has been a lot to talk about.

Both forums have opposing teams fans and high traffic about the other team. It's the nature of a rivalry. The biggest difference I see is the Seahawks really haven't given you nearly as much to talk about this off-season. If we had your forum would be filled with probably ten times more than it is right now.

I would never go to another teams site. I would presume it would be only for "drive-by cheap-shot artists".

But, frankly the Hawk fans in this forum have been very entertaining and for lack of a better word "well-behaved". The things that have angered me .... don't come from your fans here. They are from ours. I don't like any flavor of "trolls", even if they have some Niner like moniker. Spirited debate is enjoyable, "cheap shots" leave me weak and it seems pointless to respond. And you can't educate idiots.

But .... I go over to PFT and any article on a Niner has as many comments from Seattle trolls as there are Niners fans. Every team has it's trolls.

One thing I have seen multiple times is this Hawk fan presumption "Niner fan, you know you would if you could swap Wilson for Kaepernick you would do it in a heartbeat"

Because I think very few would make that swap and I think more would want to swap for Alex Smith than Russell Wilson.

I think the majority of Niner fans would not make that swap. I think most here like our QB more than yours.

Agreed, Wilson has hit his ceiling. He is a (very good) game manager. Kap is going to explode and become and elite, blue chip, All-Pro player. I would not trade Kap for Wilson.

His ceiling is the 2nd best young QB of all time despite a shredded OL and missing his best WR?
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/spectacular-russell-wilson-deserves-respect-and-much-more/28399/

Russell Wilson is a talented QB, but he hasn't gone through the process of being 'figured out' because his offensive system hides him so well, this can only last so long, Alex Smith hid behind Frank Gore, and Wilson hides behind Lynch.

All Wilson has ever had to do thus far in his career is just flick the ball to Lynch to burn a screen into a TD (and it's considered an epic passing TD in the stat books). Or better yet, roll-out on a bootleg to throw over 30+ because every D in the league respects Lynch. Wilson's stats are incredibly misleading, as he couldn't even get a TD in the Superbowl until garbage time.

Who knows, I may eat my words (I have never had a problem doing so), but as of now, Seattle is a champion because of a stout defense, and devoted/passionate fanbase.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Russell Wilson is a talented QB, but he hasn't gone through the process of being 'figured out' because his offensive system hides him so well, this can only last so long, Alex Smith hid behind Frank Gore, and Wilson hides behind Lynch.

All Wilson has ever had to do thus far in his career is just flick the ball to Lynch to burn a screen into a TD (and it's considered an epic passing TD in the stat books). Or better yet, roll-out on a bootleg to throw over 30+ because every D in the league respects Lynch. Wilson's stats are incredibly misleading, as he couldn't even get a TD in the Superbowl until garbage time.

Who knows, I may eat my words (I have never had a problem doing so), but as of now, Seattle is a champion because of a stout defense, and devoted/passionate fanbase.

Lol, people really believe this stuff? Stats are stats and that is all that history remembers, and RW has a 100+ passing rating every year he's been in the league. (Period)
Originally posted by TopNotchPLYR:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Lol, people really believe this stuff? Stats are stats and that is all that history remembers, and RW has a 100+ passing rating every year he's been in the league. (Period)

So do I.

And I smile at the dude who claimed that the size of this thread shows how 49ers fans are fixating on Seattle. What it actually shows is how many Seattle fans keep coming over here.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TopNotchPLYR:

Russell Midget is a very good QB. Anybody who thinks he's overrated doesn't know a lot of football. However defenses that crush the pocket will give him lots of problems due to his height. He'll be a worthy sparring partner for young Colin.

No matter how much you dislike a team or athlete. Unless the guy straight up raped or murdered someone. That's pretty piss poor football fan form to wish injury on an athlete.

don't blame him, it's the 12th man that voted lil dickard into the curse
You gotta love the old argument of cerebral vs intangibles. I have always been amazed at how analysts and "so called" experts fawn all over guys because they are athletic freaks and dismiss even the potential of someone without the physical measurements. Montana also dropped to the 3rd round and was poorly reviewed by many coming out of Notre Dame even though he won a national championship and proved what should have been beyond any doubt that he was amazingly clutch and could overcome any perceived arm weakness or lack of mobility.

Ironically the 3rd round (82nd overall) pick went 13-3 in his second season and won his first super bowl throwing for 157 yards and one TD. HAHA, you had to check and see which one I am talking about didn't you. Well that one was Montana. Wilson actually went for 206 yards and 2 TD's in his victory. Wilson also a 3rd round pick was selected 75th overall.

This is not a knock on Kaepernick. It is still to be seen how cerebral he can become. He is obviously physically gifted and has used that to win games. Wilson on the other hand has had to compensate for those intangibles just like Joe and all three were aided heavily by elite defenses and running games.

I always get a chuckle out of Niner fans that bash Wilson though. I figure they are either trolling which is fine or probably new to the game because if you don't see the similarities between Montana and Wilson you just aren't paying attention or just don't know. Fact is Wilson compares more to Joe than Kaepernick likely ever will and in fact statistically Wilson has to this point in his career been even better than the great Joe. I believe Montana had great influence on Wilson's statement of wanting to be the best ever.

Bash away if you want though, it really is more a reflection of your knowledge of the game and the 9ers history than anything else.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 12thfan:
You gotta love the old argument of cerebral vs intangibles. I have always been amazed at how analysts and "so called" experts fawn all over guys because they are athletic freaks and dismiss even the potential of someone without the physical measurements. Montana also dropped to the 3rd round and was poorly reviewed by many coming out of Notre Dame even though he won a national championship and proved what should have been beyond any doubt that he was amazingly clutch and could overcome any perceived arm weakness or lack of mobility.

Ironically the 3rd round (82nd overall) pick went 13-3 in his second season and won his first super bowl throwing for 157 yards and one TD. HAHA, you had to check and see which one I am talking about didn't you. Well that one was Montana. Wilson actually went for 206 yards and 2 TD's in his victory. Wilson also a 3rd round pick was selected 75th overall.

This is not a knock on Kaepernick. It is still to be seen how cerebral he can become. He is obviously physically gifted and has used that to win games. Wilson on the other hand has had to compensate for those intangibles just like Joe and all three were aided heavily by elite defenses and running games.

I always get a chuckle out of Niner fans that bash Wilson though. I figure they are either trolling which is fine or probably new to the game because if you don't see the similarities between Montana and Wilson you just aren't paying attention or just don't know. Fact is Wilson compares more to Joe than Kaepernick likely ever will and in fact statistically Wilson has to this point in his career been even better than the great Joe. I believe Montana had great influence on Wilson's statement of wanting to be the best ever.

Bash away if you want though, it really is more a reflection of your knowledge of the game and the 9ers history than anything else.

You forget that montana had walsh, Holmgren and Sam Wyche. Midget has Mr. Cheat PED Carroll and Darrel bevel. Big difference in the coaching staffs in my opinion. Can midget continue to develop the way Joe and Steve did, or is this it? The simple answer is we shall see, but cheats coaching record is barely above average whereas walsh was in the mid 60%'s. The point about coaching staff is simply whether or not cheat can rebuild seadderall the way walsh was able to do with the 49ers well into the '90's. Where would joe be without fred Dean and Charles haley.
I'm aware of Montana's coaching as well as Dan Devine in college and if I use your logic Montana should lose credit for his accomplishments, unless you are trying to argue that Wilson is in a better system or just has much better talent surrounding him.

By the way Steve's development didn't come until later in his career.

I did specify to this point in his career, just like the first two years of Montana. His future looks pretty dang bright right now being one of the most accomplished QB's in the history of the league for the first couple years of their careers.
Double post.
[ Edited by 12thfan on Jun 7, 2014 at 12:10 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone