There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Isaac Sopoaga- What happened?

Honestly, I never thought he was THAT good with us. He was a product of the system that fit well w/ what we were doing. He would have performed well with us based off our scheme/personnel, but that is about it.

See Aubrayo Franklin?

Notice how Glen Dorsey is a legit DT now?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I liked Soap while he was here, but PLEASE, let him stay where he is... his time has come and gone. We need to get Tank / Dial ready and see if Fangio can work a miracle with Okoye...
Sopoaga was ok at times. I remember Manny Lawson used to be fairly decent; where'd he end up?
Holy s**t I forgot about this guy.
The Pats are anti-tank and they found out that Soap was a tank commander
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Boys and Girls,

We keep Ian and Dorsey. Both above average and both can play DE as well. No worries at the nose. Money well spent. Need to save in other areas.

Common sense and logic have no place in the webzone sir.

My apologies. I will try to be more emotional in the future.

That's better.
Originally posted by lucky_49:
Sopoaga was ok at times. I remember Manny Lawson used to be fairly decent; where'd he end up?

Buffalo Bills, I believe he had a pretty decent season last year even though they were subpar.
Boys and Girls,

We keep Ian and Dorsey. Both above average and both can play DE as well. No worries at the nose. Money well spent. Need to save in other areas.

When did Ian Williams become 'above average'?

When he did nothing 2011, nothing in 2012, or when he got hurt before 2013 started?

Dorsey had a great year for us, and will be the no doubt starter heading into 2014.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:
Honestly, I never thought he was THAT good with us. He was a product of the system that fit well w/ what we were doing. He would have performed well with us based off our scheme/personnel, but that is about it.

See Aubrayo Franklin?

Notice how Glen Dorsey is a legit DT now?

You look at some of the higher profile departures from the 49ers in the last couple of years and their performances with their new teams:

Josh Morgan - WR: Went to the Redskins, and bottomed out on the depth chart - even got accused of quitting on the team.

Isaac Sopoaga - NT: Signed to the Eagles, started a couple of games, and got traded to the Patriots. Will be released.

Ricky Jean-Francois - NT/DE: Decent in run support, but basically made the same salary as JUSTIN SMITH in 2013. He will have to restructure/get released within the next year or two.

Dashon Goldson - S: Made the big bucks in TB, but certainly did not earn his salary. $8M for mid-level safety is not a wise investment.

History has a tendency to repeat itself. Don't be surprised if Brown and Whitner get similar offers.
Our defense makes every NT look better than they are. When you're surrounded by All Pros, your play is going to be elevated. Franklin, Sopoaga, Williams, Dorsey.... It's all the same.
The title of this thread should be, the niners need to tear up Glen Dorseys contract and extend him for 3 years. He can play NT and DT. I for one saw a big difference when Dorsey took over for Ian Williams at NT.

Sopoaga, while a great story, played very well for his draft position, a high 4th round draft pick that everyone felt he should have been picked in round 3.

I wish Isaac well, he got a huge payday, so he is a winner no matter what.
Every championship team has legit number two guys. When Skuta and Wilhoyte came in they were ballin.
[ Edited by TonyStarks on Feb 1, 2014 at 8:27 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
You don't have the best run defense in the league in 2011 with an 'okay' nose tackle. He played well and was a contributor to why our run D was so good that year. And he couldn't have been too awful in 2012 as he was still the starter in our 3-4, over ricky jean francois and ian williams. And I don't really care what rankings may say. Do the rankings factor in the number of blockers he takes on and how far he gets pushed off the line of scrimmage? I doubt they do. And that is all we were asking him to do.

He was good in the run game. Just because he's not making tackles for losses or shedding blockers doesn't mean he's not good in the run game. He was a big strong body who was hard for offensive lineman to push around, allowing for all the other guys to make plays. He may have not been great in 2012, but saying he was dead awful is an exaggeration. Especially considering the Eagles paid him good money and the Patriots went on to pick him up. Teams don't throw money at a guy that played awful the prior year. His play is declining now, but again he was not awful in 2012.

Absolutely they do. PFF looks at all those factors and based on that, Soap was terrible in 2012, the worst NT in the NFL and merely okay in 2011. The 49ers outstanding performance against the run in 2011 had far more to do with Justin Smith and Ray McDonald playing absolutely out of their minds, at a ridiculously high level that they haven't played at since.

I wouldn't say just Ray Mac and Justin Smith should take all the credit for the solid run-defense in 2011. Actually, when Sopoaga was in, no one could run up the middle on the defense, now without Sopoaga, teams run up the middle all day on the defense, making Patrick Willis almost a non-factor in the run-game since Sopoaga left. Go look at the numbers at PFF when teams run up the middle on the defense in 2011 and shoot lets say 2010 too. Sopoaga was I think one of the best NT the 9ers had, sure he didn't have flashy numbers but he held his own in run-defense maintaining his assignments.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
You don't have the best run defense in the league in 2011 with an 'okay' nose tackle. He played well and was a contributor to why our run D was so good that year. And he couldn't have been too awful in 2012 as he was still the starter in our 3-4, over ricky jean francois and ian williams. And I don't really care what rankings may say. Do the rankings factor in the number of blockers he takes on and how far he gets pushed off the line of scrimmage? I doubt they do. And that is all we were asking him to do.

He was good in the run game. Just because he's not making tackles for losses or shedding blockers doesn't mean he's not good in the run game. He was a big strong body who was hard for offensive lineman to push around, allowing for all the other guys to make plays. He may have not been great in 2012, but saying he was dead awful is an exaggeration. Especially considering the Eagles paid him good money and the Patriots went on to pick him up. Teams don't throw money at a guy that played awful the prior year. His play is declining now, but again he was not awful in 2012.

Absolutely they do. PFF looks at all those factors and based on that, Soap was terrible in 2012, the worst NT in the NFL and merely okay in 2011. The 49ers outstanding performance against the run in 2011 had far more to do with Justin Smith and Ray McDonald playing absolutely out of their minds, at a ridiculously high level that they haven't played at since.

I wouldn't say just Ray Mac and Justin Smith should take all the credit for the solid run-defense in 2011. Actually, when Sopoaga was in, no one could run up the middle on the defense, now without Sopoaga, teams run up the middle all day on the defense, making Patrick Willis almost a non-factor in the run-game since Sopoaga left. Go look at the numbers at PFF when teams run up the middle on the defense in 2011 and shoot lets say 2010 too. Sopoaga was I think one of the best NT the 9ers had, sure he didn't have flashy numbers but he held his own in run-defense maintaining his assignments.

Exactly. Like I said, you don't have a OK nose tackle with the best run defense in the league. Justin Smith and Ray Mac aren't so good that they can plug up the run game off guard and off center simultaneously. There was nothing there up the middle in 2011. I'd really like to see what all the factors are that go into those PFF rankings for the nose tackle position. I have a hard time believing that they calculate how many blockers the nose tackle takes on and how far he's being pushed out of the play. And again, if he was so terrible in 2012, he doesn't get money thrown his way in free agency. If PFF rankings really told the whole story, the Eagles would have stayed away.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Feb 1, 2014 at 10:38 AM ]
ok for depth.