There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Isaac Sopoaga- What happened?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
So freaking overrated it was unbelievable, can't believe how many people cried about how this defense was "missing Soap." He had a solid year in 2011, not a great year, not even a good year really, a solid year, prior to that he had been mediocre. In 2012 he went back to being mediocre and now he's just completely fallen off the map. Dorsey and Williams were both improvements over him.

He really wasn't overrated. Was very solid in 2011. One of the reasons we had such a stout run D. Was ok in 2012. People seem to think he was overrated because he didn't put up any stats and didn't offer anything as a pass rusher. He did his job for us, which is all we could ask for. He held the point of attack and was very good in the run game.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Ian Williams was already better than soap was at the beginning of training camp last year.

Yeah but Ian Williams is still mediocre. Not sure where the hype was stemming from this year before he got hurt.

Yeah I don't know why Ian Williams has been hyped so much. I haven't seen anything yet..
Originally posted by socalniner:
Dorsey is going to get $2.3 million to be a backup? Nice luxury, but we can get a cheaper vet

More like $2.3 million to be the starter. Soap is trash anyways, has been for awhile.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
He really wasn't overrated. Was very solid in 2011. One of the reasons we had such a stout run D. Was ok in 2012. People seem to think he was overrated because he didn't put up any stats and didn't offer anything as a pass rusher. He did his job for us, which is all we could ask for. He held the point of attack and was very good in the run game.

He was okay in 2011, awful in 2012, ranked as the worst nose tackle in the NFL. I wish he could have been good in the run game.
Dorsey is going to get $2.3 million to be a backup? Nice luxury, but we can get a cheaper vet

More like $2.3 million to be the starter. Soap is trash anyways, has been for awhile.

Ian was starting before he got injured. He straight up beat out Dorsey and I don't see why can't do the same next season. Oh and Ian is going to make half of what Dorsey is scheduled to.
[ Edited by socalniner on Jan 31, 2014 at 4:35 PM ]
Sopoaga is scheduled to make like $2.7M for 2014 in base pay. Dorsey is well worth the $2.3M he is scheduled to earn. Dorsey contributed, while Sopoaga has fallen off since he signed with Philly, traded to NE, did nothing. He has nothing left in the tank, not worth it. Ian will be better this year, and Dorsey is better. I rather take a high priced vet backup, who makes tackles, over a minimum wage guy, who is past his prime any day of the year.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Sopoaga is scheduled to make like $2.7M for 2014 in base pay. Dorsey is well worth the $2.3M he is scheduled to earn. Dorsey contributed, while Sopoaga has fallen off since he signed with Philly, traded to NE, did nothing. He has nothing left in the tank, not worth it. Ian will be better this year, and Dorsey is better. I rather take a high priced vet backup, who makes tackles, over a minimum wage guy, who is past his prime any day of the year.

Not saying we have to pick up Soap, but if we did we don't have to pay him $2.7M. Doesn't make sense either to keep Dorsey when we can use that money to keep Whitner.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Not saying we have to pick up Soap, but if we did we don't have to pay him $2.7M. Doesn't make sense either to keep Dorsey when we can use that money to keep Whitner.

I don't see Dorsey release, not after having a really good 2013 season. He is a key backup. A lot of backups make in that range, or more a year. I wouldn't be surprised if they get an extension done with him. Would lower his base salary in 2014.

Why are they trying to pick up an old guy with nothing left in the tank again? That is what really doesn't make sense. Dorsey on the other hand, played well enough that he could beat out Williams as the starter, that is the guy you end up keeping.

Because of the amount of years Soap has in the NFL, the difference between what he'd be paid and what Dorsey is paid, wouldn't really be significant, their respective performance level and ability however, is.
If Harbaugh knew how well Dorsey would play he would have been the starter to begin the season. He had a great season.

He was okay in 2011, awful in 2012, ranked as the worst nose tackle in the NFL. I wish he could have been good in the run game.

You don't have the best run defense in the league in 2011 with an 'okay' nose tackle. He played well and was a contributor to why our run D was so good that year. And he couldn't have been too awful in 2012 as he was still the starter in our 3-4, over ricky jean francois and ian williams. And I don't really care what rankings may say. Do the rankings factor in the number of blockers he takes on and how far he gets pushed off the line of scrimmage? I doubt they do. And that is all we were asking him to do.

He was good in the run game. Just because he's not making tackles for losses or shedding blockers doesn't mean he's not good in the run game. He was a big strong body who was hard for offensive lineman to push around, allowing for all the other guys to make plays. He may have not been great in 2012, but saying he was dead awful is an exaggeration. Especially considering the Eagles paid him good money and the Patriots went on to pick him up. Teams don't throw money at a guy that played awful the prior year. His play is declining now, but again he was not awful in 2012.
Boys and Girls,

We keep Ian and Dorsey. Both above average and both can play DE as well. No worries at the nose. Money well spent. Need to save in other areas.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Boys and Girls,

We keep Ian and Dorsey. Both above average and both can play DE as well. No worries at the nose. Money well spent. Need to save in other areas.

Common sense and logic have no place in the webzone sir.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Boys and Girls,

Common sense and logic have no place in the webzone sir.

My apologies. I will try to be more emotional in the future.
You don't have the best run defense in the league in 2011 with an 'okay' nose tackle. He played well and was a contributor to why our run D was so good that year. And he couldn't have been too awful in 2012 as he was still the starter in our 3-4, over ricky jean francois and ian williams. And I don't really care what rankings may say. Do the rankings factor in the number of blockers he takes on and how far he gets pushed off the line of scrimmage? I doubt they do. And that is all we were asking him to do.

He was good in the run game. Just because he's not making tackles for losses or shedding blockers doesn't mean he's not good in the run game. He was a big strong body who was hard for offensive lineman to push around, allowing for all the other guys to make plays. He may have not been great in 2012, but saying he was dead awful is an exaggeration. Especially considering the Eagles paid him good money and the Patriots went on to pick him up. Teams don't throw money at a guy that played awful the prior year. His play is declining now, but again he was not awful in 2012.

Absolutely they do. PFF looks at all those factors and based on that, Soap was terrible in 2012, the worst NT in the NFL and merely okay in 2011. The 49ers outstanding performance against the run in 2011 had far more to do with Justin Smith and Ray McDonald playing absolutely out of their minds, at a ridiculously high level that they haven't played at since.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 31, 2014 at 6:46 PM ]