There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What if Peyton Manning had signed with the Niners?

The final two teams in the running Peyton was going to sign with were either the 49ers or Broncos. IMO Peyton was this close to signing with SF till Denver upped their offer at the last minute.

You think SF would be playing for back to back Superbowl victories right now and ring #7 if Peyton had signed with the Niners?
Originally posted by Touchdown49ers2014:
The final two teams in the running Peyton was going to sign with were either the 49ers or Broncos. IMO Peyton was this close to signing with SF till Denver upped their offer at the last minute.

You think SF would be playing for back to back Superbowl victories right now and ring #7 if Peyton had signed with the Niners?

i really doubt it.
would have been amazing tho. hes my favorite non 49er of all time
.
[ Edited by ninerfan4life on Jan 27, 2014 at 9:34 PM ]
now thats a great reason to build a time machine and make this thing happen!
lol we dont win in Green Bay with Manning.

Maybe last year we get the ring, but Kap is going to give us shots at the Lombardi for years to come. Manning has about 1 year left in him.
Love these "what if" threads...like "What if we had drafted Aaron Rodgers?"
Originally posted by verb1der:
Love these "what if" threads...like "What if we had drafted Aaron Rodgers?"

we probably wouldn't have Willis, Vernon, etc... Had we taken Rodgers.

Peyton wise, never was gonna work salary wise. He makes too much. We couldn't afford his $18M salary a year back in 2012.
Originally posted by Niners99:
lol we dont win in Green Bay with Manning.

Maybe last year we get the ring, but Kap is going to give us shots at the Lombardi for years to come. Manning has about 1 year left in him.

we wouldn't had to go to GB. We would have home field with a 14-2 record.



Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Love these "what if" threads...like "What if we had drafted Aaron Rodgers?"

we probably wouldn't have Willis, Vernon, etc... Had we taken Rodgers.

Peyton wise, never was gonna work salary wise. He makes too much. We couldn't afford his $18M salary a year back in 2012.

yea, there's no way we could have all of our players plus manning.
There is no what if here he was never going to come here he was never going to play in the NFC cause he doesn't want to face his brother in the play offs unless it's the Super Bowl. He visited the Cardinals as a chess move to get the Broncos to pay more and it worked. He never narrowed it down to playing here or Denver he never even visited our facility cause playing here was never a option. We flew to him while he held a private work out that's as far as it got nothing real even came close.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Jan 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM ]
That means every time the 49ers score 30+ points the crowd gets free Papa John's
You have to consider his 20 million a year for 5 years. We would have lost Brooks and other free agents over these past 2 years and for the next 3 years. Not sure if it would have got us a trophy or not. Manning's playoff history hasn't been that great. If you look at these teams paying their QB's 20+ million most of them have holes all over because they can't afford to keep their free agents because of there high salaries. It's up to that QB to make bad and average players look good and for the defense to just do enough to win. They might give up 25-30 points a game and still win.
I thought he used us as a ploy and never seriously considered us because Alex and him have the same agent, thus wanted to avoid a conflict of interest. Correct me if I'm wrong.
[ Edited by est1985 on Jan 27, 2014 at 10:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
You have to consider his 20 million a year for 5 years. We would have lost Brooks and other free agents over these past 2 years and for the next 3 years. Not sure if it would have got us a trophy or not. Manning's playoff history hasn't been that great. If you look at these teams paying their QB's 20+ million most of them have holes all over because they can't afford to keep their free agents because of there high salaries. It's up to that QB to make bad and average players look good and for the defense to just do enough to win. They might give up 25-30 points a game and still win.

This is all that needs to be said. We wouldn't pay that much for one player, not even Peyton.
fml
They could have fit Manning's salary in without it destroying the team. I believe his 2012 cap number was 18 million. To fit him in, they would have had to lose Alex (9.25 million), Rogers (3 million), and Gore (6 million). I know people love Gore, and I do too, but there's no question that last year's team, plugging in Manning at QB and a rotation of Hunter, James, Dixon, and maybe a veteran FA (Tolbert was available among others) at RB would have been a lot better. Losing Rogers wouldn't have been a crippling blow to the defense.