LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 165 users in the forums

Is Seattle more physical than us.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Frank is not a quick better, and can not stretch the LOS by attacking the edges, Frank is a one trick pony, but it is a hell of a trick!

Seattle looks to be faster than us, thats about it.

My thinking is that quick hitters, as a change of pace, are more about catching the defense off guard than exploiting the speedster who will take it for 9 yards.

5 is fine, for us. Preferable to 11 carries for 14 yards using the same old same old.
Yes - detailed breakdown -- Let start on D since that gets all the attention

1. DL - Our great OL can not seem to keep them from penetrating and disrupting the run game. Gore literally had zero holes to run through 90% of the time. The 9ers seemed to have conceded this in the game plan by running a lot of outside runs to get away from the dominant DL.

2. LBers - 49ers are tougher and better

3. CB - SH are tougher, BUT our horrendous pass scheme makes it easy on them to stay on our receivers and be physical as the ball arrives. The 9ers pass scheme uses a lot of basically straight, sit down, or arching routes that are easy for a CB to stay with. 9ers use very few sudden cuts or double moves to get separation. Its ridiculous.

4. Safeties - Chancellor is tougher - maybe not tougher, but he lines up his big hits better than. Whitner leaves his feet and gets flags, and Reed shouldn't by flying in, he gets too many concussions.

5. OL - their OL was able to create 3-4 yards of push into our DL/LB to give Lynch room in the 2nd half, and he started to wear down our D.

6. RB - Lynch is tougher than Gore now. Gore just doesn't break tackles like he used to. Its not a criticism, its just a fact that Gore is getting a bit older and its hard for older legs to keep up their break tackles and break away speed ability.

7. WR - Boldin is way tougher than SH receivers

9ers will not beat the SH consistently until 9er OL can dominate their DL and impose our running game will on them.
Upon further reflection, it may just be a matter of Seattle showing more emotion, while the more experienced 9ers defense tends to be less emotional--more controlled. When you watch Brooks, J Smith, Bowman, Willis, A Smith, Whitner, Reid and others they are not playing patty cake.
No..
Their secondary is better so that allows their linebackers and Dline to blitz more freely without having to worry about big plays being given up. Especially against us where we're not gonna slow their pass rush by throwing screens or anything quick. We're always reacting.
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
How so?

Have you watched them play? Their secondary is much faster, the ILB's are about even with ours, their DLine is much faster. Tate
The Hawks rarely blitz because they don't usually have to. The player types and the scheme with the CB's playing press while ET sits over the top with his crazy range allows the LB's to play run first and inside zone on a pass. Kaepernick's ability to run effectively put a big kink in their game. I don't think the Hawks are that much more physical than the Niners, just utilized better. But that's just my view...
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
It seems that we are always sustaining some type of injury when we play them. And, the NFC game was no different...It really bothers me that they out physical us (as it seems) and then a year ago big mouth Terrell Suggs called us the "fake tough guys."

Do we need to get more physical or is it just bad luck?

Or........ Maybe they have a malicious intent? Or is that "nutty" or in a conspiracy theory box?

they do seem to want to hurt the niners when they play...it's like a bitter old girlfriend trying to get payback....
  • fly15
  • Veteran
They're a lucky team
No. Correct me if I'm wrong but we were winning for the most of the game til kaep started turning the ball over & CR gives up that big Td. if Kaep scores & wins the game this thread is never created. Hopefully Kaep learned something from this loss that helps in future games in their house. We lost but still go niners

Originally posted by fly15:
They're a lucky team

Lucky? Hmm, maybe. But does that imply they have no talent? I would be more inclined to agree with your statement if you said they were an opportunistic team, i.e. forcing turnovers, gambling on 4th downs, consistently good field position due to "lucky" special team plays, forcing QBs to throw to where THEY want it to be thrown.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by CitrusHawk:
Originally posted by fly15:
They're a lucky team

Lucky? Hmm, maybe. But does that imply they have no talent? I would be more inclined to agree with your statement if you said they were an opportunistic team, i.e. forcing turnovers, gambling on 4th downs, consistently good field position due to "lucky" special team plays, forcing QBs to throw to where THEY want it to be thrown.

no. he's not implying that. luck is one of aspects of a championship team. you guys have had this year and why you're playing the Super Bowl.
  • pfizz
For me personally the biggest difference is in RBs. Lynch literally beats up our guys and grinds them down compared to Frank who slickly maneuvers thru crevices and avoids taking big hits. Would be nice if we had a big, physical RB to match our our physical philosphy.
Vernon Davis says yes, lol
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Well, I don't believe they're more physical, but I do believe they match up well against the 49ers.

They run a 4-3. Against a power run team, this formation does well. The SH have an incredibly smart coach in Carroll, and an incredibly smart secondary. 49ers run a passing attack which is designed to get a particular receiver open. 49ers depend on execution in passes, if the designated receiver isn't open (defense doesn't bite) it's a sack, throw away or Keap needs to take off. That just doesn't work against a top defense.

Their offense will over-match the 49ers defense over time. DL can only take so much direct punishment before they start to get blown off the ball, the LB's will not fair well if OL start chipping into their level.

To beat the SH, the 49ers will have to put up points. To put up points against a team that has a smart fast defense, you're going to have to reduce dependence on play-action and AR's.

There are a lot of teams that have a hard time scoring on the SH..... so, they're also doing something right.
[ Edited by Geeked on Jan 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone