There are 294 users in the forums

Is Seattle more physical than us.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
While I agree that it is not a problem vs. some teams it might be against physical running teams like the Giants were in 2011 and the Seahawks this year. Seattle has Bennett and Avril weighing 274 and 260 they weigh that as DEs and not DTs their DTs average 305 lbs thus the extra 20 pounds allows them better leverage in run defense. Their O- line averages 310 vs our D line around 285 - 290 lbs.

So what? O-lines are always bigger than d-lines. Not to mention there are 5 o-lineman vs 3 or 4 d-lineman. That's why defenses have to load the box with 7 to 9 players to stop the run. You have to win with numbers, and everyone has to account for their gaps.

Not trying to argue with you on the overall point. However, we have to admit that our D- line is on the light side and thus may be a reason we struggle against those more physical and heavier O- lines.

I just don't think our d-line is "light". How big do they need to be? Dorsey looks like he's up to 320-330. Justin and Ray Mac are said to be 290ish. That's more than big enough for a 3-4 alignment.

I think most of this criticism is coming from one big run, the Lynch TD. That was not on the d-line. That was a major fail by the LBs, and Reid in particular took a horrific angle at him.

Some of us have crazy expectations. Any time a team breaks off a 5 yard run or more, we're "getting pushed around". It's comical. We've been one of the top run D's in the league for the past several years. Sometimes, the other team makes a play.
Again our D- line is not a real big issue but I think it does give ground to the heavier O- lines like Seattle vs. the run...Our D- line is listed as follows Dorsery 297, Smith 285, McDonald 290.

My only criticism is that it seems like the Seahawks continually put Lynch over 100 yards rushing against us.

I'm fine with the D- line the way it's constituted my issue is our inability to run the ball at all against them, I believe our O- line is a tad overrated.

Lynch is a great RB dude. He's going to make plays from time to time. In 8 games against us, he's gone for over a hundred 4 times. Not every time. He's had some good games against us, but we've had good games against him.

Dorsey's listed weight of 297 is from the combine 6 years ago. One look at him and you can tell he's packed on some pounds. He's much closer to 320 now, changing from a 1-gap penetrating tackle, to a run stuffer.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
after the first game this year I would say yes, after the last two games i would say no and that is the main reason why we were competitive with them in the last two games because when they punched us, we punched back. that is the way it will have to be as along as this battle between the two continues
Originally posted by goldlame2013:
Originally posted by Raul98:
There not more physical than us there coaches are just smarter and more creative than ours. There also better at situational football than us and they make less mistakes.

True.

This
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by goldlame2013:
There not more physical than us there coaches are just smarter and more creative than ours. There also better at situational football than us and they make less mistakes.

True.

This

We committed less turnovers than them during the season. They are also the most penalized team in the league.

You were saying?

They're*, Their*, and They're* again,
i wish Singletary never said that word
Originally posted by RonMexico:
i wish Singletary never said that word

Fysical, not Physical. Big difference.
While I agree that it is not a problem vs. some teams it might be against physical running teams like the Giants were in 2011 and the Seahawks this year. Seattle has Bennett and Avril weighing 274 and 260 they weigh that as DEs and not DTs their DTs average 305 lbs thus the extra 20 pounds allows them better leverage in run defense. Their O- line averages 310 vs our D line around 285 - 290 lbs.

So what? O-lines are always bigger than d-lines. Not to mention there are 5 o-lineman vs 3 or 4 d-lineman. That's why defenses have to load the box with 7 to 9 players to stop the run. You have to win with numbers, and everyone has to account for their gaps.

Not trying to argue with you on the overall point. However, we have to admit that our D- line is on the light side and thus may be a reason we struggle against those more physical and heavier O- lines.

I just don't think our d-line is "light". How big do they need to be? Dorsey looks like he's up to 320-330. Justin and Ray Mac are said to be 290ish. That's more than big enough for a 3-4 alignment.

I think most of this criticism is coming from one big run, the Lynch TD. That was not on the d-line. That was a major fail by the LBs, and Reid in particular took a horrific angle at him.

Some of us have crazy expectations. Any time a team breaks off a 5 yard run or more, we're "getting pushed around". It's comical. We've been one of the top run D's in the league for the past several years. Sometimes, the other team makes a play.
Again our D- line is not a real big issue but I think it does give ground to the heavier O- lines like Seattle vs. the run...Our D- line is listed as follows Dorsery 297, Smith 285, McDonald 290.

My only criticism is that it seems like the Seahawks continually put Lynch over 100 yards rushing against us.

I'm fine with the D- line the way it's constituted my issue is our inability to run the ball at all against them, I believe our O- line is a tad overrated.

Lynch is a great RB dude. He's going to make plays from time to time. In 8 games against us, he's gone for over a hundred 4 times. Not every time. He's had some good games against us, but we've had good games against him.

Dorsey's listed weight of 297 is from the combine 6 years ago. One look at him and you can tell he's packed on some pounds. He's much closer to 320 now, changing from a 1-gap penetrating tackle, to a run stuffer.

Bro, Barry Sanders was a great back...Lynch is good but so is our defense. He is a product of that physical and bulky offensive line that they have put together up there. For as good as our defense is we should be locking their run game down more than 50% of the time. Since it's obvious to all that they are a ground and pound team. However, that is another conversation.

The most current weights for our D- line are J. Smith is 270; McDonald 276; and Dorsey 316.
Bro, Barry Sanders was a great back...Lynch is good but so is our defense. He is a product of that physical and bulky offensive line that they have put together up there. For as good as our defense is we should be locking their run game down more than 50% of the time. Since it's obvious to all that they are a ground and pound team. However, that is another conversation.

The most current weights for our D- line are J. Smith is 270; McDonald 276; and Dorsey 316.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. A good chunk of Lynch's yards come after initial contact. He was among the league leaders in that category. Against us last Sunday, 83 of his 109 yards came after contact. That's not the O-line, that's the RB.

A few stats from Pro Football Focus:

- 2.5 yards after contact per attempt (7th in NFL)
- 75 missed/broken tackles (1st in the NFL. Next closest was Adrian Peterson, he had 58)
- Ranked #2 in elusive rating. The measure of how hard a RB is to bring down, independent of the blocking in front of him.
- Seattle's O-line ranked 23rd in run blocking. PFF watches every player, on every play. So this is pretty accurate.

Again, great players make great plays. Our run defense is one of the best. We faltered on his long TD run. It happens. Doesn't mean we have a problem. It means a great player made a great play.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
They're more physical when it comes to consuming / injecting crap... Cheatterall

We're going to have to agree to disagree. A good chunk of Lynch's yards come after initial contact. He was among the league leaders in that category. Against us last Sunday, 83 of his 109 yards came after contact. That's not the O-line, that's the RB.

A few stats from Pro Football Focus:

- 2.5 yards after contact per attempt (7th in NFL)
- 75 missed/broken tackles (1st in the NFL. Next closest was Adrian Peterson, he had 58)
- Ranked #2 in elusive rating. The measure of how hard a RB is to bring down, independent of the blocking in front of him.
- Seattle's O-line ranked 23rd in run blocking. PFF watches every player, on every play. So this is pretty accurate.

Again, great players make great plays. Our run defense is one of the best. We faltered on his long TD run. It happens. Doesn't mean we have a problem. It means a great player made a great play.

This and a rookie mistake by Reid..
Weakhawks will be lucky to win 10 games next year
They have a more physical Secondary and RB. Thats about it. They are all around a faster team tho.
Originally posted by xela510:
They have a more physical Secondary and RB. Thats about it. They are all around a faster team tho.
How so?
I thought that Seattle became the more physical team in the second half, when trailing 10-3. In Fact it was the most physical display of football, on both offense, defense and special teams that i can ever remember watching in an NFL playoff game, and I have seen every NFL playoff game since 1969. The 49ers did wilt from that physical display, there was no doubt about it. That we still had a chance to win on the final drive was a great testimony to the Niner team, especially the defense, which played its heart out.
Share 49ersWebzone