LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Is Seattle more physical than us.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Yeah, so our d line does not have the intimidation factor going of rit. Justin is still a playmaker but we need more weight to have the impact of seattle's front line. 280 pounds of Justin/Ray can only go so far against 320 pound lineman.

+1

Disagree. The size of our line is not a problem. We don't need to get bigger. Seattle's most disruptive lineman have been Bennett and Avril. They weigh 274 and 260 respectively. They win with quickness and athleticism. They also feast off the crowd making noise, giving them an extra advantage to jump the snap. Justin and Ray are completely different type of players playing in a different scheme. The size of the line has nothing to do with it.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 25, 2014 at 4:52 PM ]
I don't care if they were the most physical team in the NFL and if we were the softest that's not why we lost in Seattle we lost cause of bad coaching bad game plan in the 2nd half and mistakes and turn overs them being physical had nothing to do with them winning. We had the turn overs and INT in the end zone not them. We don't have to worry about being physical we have to be smarter.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Jan 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM ]
Seattle is more aggressive. Their coaching staff is more aggressive. I do not know about more physical. Gore has a lot of miles , Justin Smith has a lot of miles Goodwin is up there in age , I know, I know they are still good players but Bottom line is if our coaching staff does not change their mind-set we may have more of these conversations at the end of the next season. Cohn made a very on the mark commentary about the coaching philosophy . I just do not know what to tell you guys , maybe Seattle want's it more , I don't know I just know we are all tired of being a day late and a dollar short in these play-offs. I just hope to hell Peyton has the game of his life and smokes those Beach Vultures
Indeed. We can not run the ball against good defenses that's on the O- line.

Ran on CAR SEA and BAL last year
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Yeah, so our d line does not have the intimidation factor going of rit. Justin is still a playmaker but we need more weight to have the impact of seattle's front line. 280 pounds of Justin/Ray can only go so far against 320 pound lineman.

+1

Disagree. The size of our line is not a problem. We don't need to get bigger. Seattle's most disruptive lineman have been Bennett and Avril. They weigh 274 and 260 respectively. They win with quickness and athleticism. They also feast off the crowd making noise, giving them an extra advantage to jump the snap. Justin and Ray are completely different type of players playing in a different scheme. The size of the line has nothing to do with it.

While I agree that it is not a problem vs. some teams it might be against physical running teams like the Giants were in 2011 and the Seahawks this year. Seattle has Bennett and Avril weighing 274 and 260 they weigh that as DEs and not DTs their DTs average 305 lbs thus the extra 20 pounds allows them better leverage in run defense. Their O- line averages 310 vs our D line around 285 - 290 lbs.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Ran on CAR SEA and BAL last year
The only time we've managed to break 100 yards rushing vs. those teams with Gore was last year vs. BAL. Other than that we've failed to run the ball effectively. Oh, we did it week #14 vs. Seattle but that was on Gore's final run of 50 yards to put the game on ice. That's not good enough since we are throwing the ball for less than 200 yards in each of those games.
[ Edited by Niner4ever on Jan 25, 2014 at 5:53 PM ]
Yes, with an F
While I agree that it is not a problem vs. some teams it might be against physical running teams like the Giants were in 2011 and the Seahawks this year. Seattle has Bennett and Avril weighing 274 and 260 they weigh that as DEs and not DTs their DTs average 305 lbs thus the extra 20 pounds allows them better leverage in run defense. Their O- line averages 310 vs our D line around 285 - 290 lbs.

So what? O-lines are always bigger than d-lines. Not to mention there are 5 o-lineman vs 3 or 4 d-lineman. That's why defenses have to load the box with 7 to 9 players to stop the run. You have to win with numbers, and everyone has to account for their gaps.

So what? O-lines are always bigger than d-lines. Not to mention there are 5 o-lineman vs 3 or 4 d-lineman. That's why defenses have to load the box with 7 to 9 players to stop the run. You have to win with numbers, and everyone has to account for their gaps.

Not trying to argue with you on the overall point. However, we have to admit that our D- line is on the light side and thus may be a reason we struggle against those more physical and heavier O- lines.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
No!

When we play them in Cheaterrall, they have the 13th man (officials) and the 12th man to help them out A LOT. The last game, the CAWKS also had Roman and Kap (choking in the end) to help them out some more!!

Not trying to argue with you on the overall point. However, we have to admit that our D- line is on the light side and thus may be a reason we struggle against those more physical and heavier O- lines.

I just don't think our d-line is "light". How big do they need to be? Dorsey looks like he's up to 320-330. Justin and Ray Mac are said to be 290ish. That's more than big enough for a 3-4 alignment.

I think most of this criticism is coming from one big run, the Lynch TD. That was not on the d-line. That was a major fail by the LBs, and Reid in particular took a horrific angle at him.

Some of us have crazy expectations. Any time a team breaks off a 5 yard run or more, we're "getting pushed around". It's comical. We've been one of the top run D's in the league for the past several years. Sometimes, the other team makes a play.
seattles Run game and their DBs are more physical than ours. i think the biggest advantage is their DBs, they can bully our receivers and run with them because our guys arent very fast. I think if we had some quick receivers we wouldve had way more success against them. the key to beating seattle long term is upgrading the receiver corps with size and speed and drafting bigger DBs to bully them like they bully our guys. if we get a solid safety and another CB with size to go with our awesome LBs and front line they wont be able to do anything to us.

I just don't think our d-line is "light". How big do they need to be? Dorsey looks like he's up to 320-330. Justin and Ray Mac are said to be 290ish. That's more than big enough for a 3-4 alignment.

I think most of this criticism is coming from one big run, the Lynch TD. That was not on the d-line. That was a major fail by the LBs, and Reid in particular took a horrific angle at him.

Some of us have crazy expectations. Any time a team breaks off a 5 yard run or more, we're "getting pushed around". It's comical. We've been one of the top run D's in the league for the past several years. Sometimes, the other team makes a play.
Again our D- line is not a real big issue but I think it does give ground to the heavier O- lines like Seattle vs. the run...Our D- line is listed as follows Dorsery 297, Smith 285, McDonald 290.

My only criticism is that it seems like the Seahawks continually put Lynch over 100 yards rushing against us.

I'm fine with the D- line the way it's constituted my issue is our inability to run the ball at all against them, I believe our O- line is a tad overrated.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
seattles Run game and their DBs are more physical than ours. i think the biggest advantage is their DBs, they can bully our receivers and run with them because our guys arent very fast. I think if we had some quick receivers we wouldve had way more success against them. the key to beating seattle long term is upgrading the receiver corps with size and speed and drafting bigger DBs to bully them like they bully our guys. if we get a solid safety and another CB with size to go with our awesome LBs and front line they wont be able to do anything to us.

100% this! Seattle can shutdown physical receivers like Boldin but it's the quick, speedy receivers like Ty Hilton that give them fits and burns them. If we could draft a receiver that can blow the lid off of a defense and revamp the secondary with more physical DBs, that would be ideal.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

100% this! Seattle can shutdown physical receivers like Boldin but it's the quick, speedy receivers like Ty Hilton that give them fits and burns them. If we could draft a receiver that can blow the lid off of a defense and revamp the secondary with more physical DBs, that would be ideal.

hopefully baalke and harbaugh are reading all the mock drafts lol. i think its painfully obvious to everyone that we need receivers and DBs in this draft. we addressed the dline last year, oline is ok still, probably take a center, we have RBs and we'll probably pick up a bruiser from a small school in the late rounds and a backup qb to groom but this draft should be all about WRs, big Corners and a SS who can hit and cover if theyre not planning on bringing back whitner
Share 49ersWebzone