LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 125 users in the forums

Time to trade our 1st round pick to Cleveland for Gordon

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Originally posted by buck:
Draft picks are not subject to a one year automatic suspension. This guy is.

Bet you are willing to pay Aldon yet he is also subject to a one year suspension. Last time I checked this guy didnt wreck his car in a front yard, and go to rehab for half the season.

Exactly. All he did was smoke some pot right? Goodell just said he's easing his stance on medical marijuana and Gordon would easily be able to get a script for it.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
49ers 1st round picks since 2006:

Vernon Davis
Joe Staley
Mike Iupati
Anthony Davis
Michael Crabtree
Patrick Willis
Eric Reid
Aldon Smith

All key players that help get this team to the playoffs the last 3 years. I'd rather take a chance on a draft pick and gain their trust, than to trade for a current NFL player which you don't know what you'll get once his contract is up. Especially for a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Oh yeah you also forgot the homeruns they have hit picking late in the first like A.J. Jenkins and Quentwan Balmer. All those guys you listed you or I could have picked .They were all blue chip players. I would trade this first and an additional 3rd or 4th with no hesitation.

You realize you listed two outta 10 picks that the 49ers missed on......TWO. And you do realize that the 9ers have hit with two Pro Bowl players in the 3rd round (Frank Gore/Navaro Bowman) and hit in the 4th with a promising player in Quiton Patton (2nd round talent) and a Pro Bowl Safety no longer with the team in DaShon Goldson. Sure anyone could have picked those blue chip players, but the point is that they are consistent with the 49ers, excluding Aldon Smith, the above mentioned aren't head cases or in greed for money. I trust this staff with their judgment in prospects and I know this staff values their picks more than high-priced players in need of a contract the moment they're traded for.
You realize you listed two outta 10 picks that the 49ers missed on......TWO. And you do realize that the 9ers have hit with two Pro Bowl players in the 3rd round (Frank Gore/Navaro Bowman) and hit in the 4th with a promising player in Quiton Patton (2nd round talent) and a Pro Bowl Safety no longer with the team in DaShon Goldson. Sure anyone could have picked those blue chip players, but the point is that they are consistent with the 49ers, excluding Aldon Smith, the above mentioned aren't head cases or in greed for money. I trust this staff with their judgment in prospects and I know this staff values their picks more than high-priced players in need of a contract the moment they're traded for.

Well heres a few more for ya! Kwame Harris # 26 overall, Mike Rumph #27, Reggie McGrew #24, Jim Drunkenmiller #26 Rashaun Woods #31, and a couple of great 2nd and third rounders Chilo Rachal 2nd, Reggie Smith 3rd, Derrick Hamilton 3rd, Glenn Coffee 2nd, Taylor Mays 2nd. I have very little faith with this teams ability to pick late in the first round.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Bet you are willing to pay Aldon yet he is also subject to a one year suspension. Last time I checked this guy didnt wreck his car in a front yard, and go to rehab for half the season.

Exactly. All he did was smoke some pot right? Goodell just said he's easing his stance on medical marijuana and Gordon would easily be able to get a script for it.

codiene i beleive, that drank.

Regardless, Browns are not trading him, and a first is wayyyyyyy too low. He is a top three WR right now, on extremely cheap contract. Cost at least two firsts right now, and likely a lot more considering our firsts would be late round picks..
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Jan 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran

I did not know that Aldon is subject to a one year automatic suspension.

Do you a link to the site where you found this information?
[ Edited by buck on Jan 23, 2014 at 6:42 PM ]
Once again, 49ers need to go after this guy. No guarantee that we retain Crabtree at the end of this deal(do we remember his demands before) and last time I checked, Boldin isn't getting any younger. If you are wanting to win the SB now meaning next season, you pull the trigger now. We don't need to be making the NFC Championship every year to just fizzle out and we are not the best at developing WR's nor do we have the time to do so. This is the type of trade sort of like Sanders in '94 that I believe pushes us over the top. His salary is cheap and you bring back Boldin for a 1 yr deal to help in mentoring him.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
1600 yards in 14 games on the browns That's with Brandon Weeden and no run game

The 49ers should have made the move earlier.I know the whole suspension thing but sometimes you got to take chances especially when you have a superbowl caliber team.It's not like all 13 draft picks are making the team anyway.Can you imagine Gordon,Crabtree,Boldin and Davis on the field this year? Another receiver who I would not give up any type of high draft pick for but if he came cheap then Justin Blackmon is worth a look.Though he is much further along on the trouble scale.
[ Edited by 9er2k on Jan 23, 2014 at 6:48 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Well heres a few more for ya! Kwame Harris # 26 overall, Mike Rumph #27, Reggie McGrew #24, Jim Drunkenmiller #26 Rashaun Woods #31, and a couple of great 2nd and third rounders Chilo Rachal 2nd, Reggie Smith 3rd, Derrick Hamilton 3rd, Glenn Coffee 2nd, Taylor Mays 2nd. I have very little faith with this teams ability to pick late in the first round.

Could've sworn I said since 2006, try not to get excited now, pump your brakes.
Receptions - 87
Yds - 1646
TDs - 9
Age - 22
Contract - Signed in July 2012/4 yr deal @ $5.3mil

BTW - Who did Rice pick for the Pro Bowl for WR?

Could've sworn I said since 2006, try not to get excited now, pump your brakes.

Yeah nothing pre 2005 means anything.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I Find It Silly when People say: "This Isn't Madden". Uh duh, that's what the NFL has become, guys change teams all the time via trade, release, draft, street FA, UFA, TFA, RFA. Look at the two teams in the SB, Manning acquired as a FA biggest FA of all time considered. Seachickens traded for Marshawn Lynch in 2010 season, STUDD RB. So Please don't sit there and tell me "This isn't Madden". And for that instance, look at the Patriots, they acquired CB Aqib Talib via trae and Lagarrete Blount VIA trade.

OK. Let[s look at this idea in the real world.

Josh Gordon is not a free agent and he has not been released.

It makes no difference what the Patriots did or what the Seahawks did. This thread is about trading for a player that is current member of the Cleveland Browns.

Could a trade for Gordon be worked out between the 49ers and Browns?

Of course, it could. But, not with the active participation of the Browns.

The Browns did not trade him last year, and there is no indication that they are going to trade him this year.

Can you give any evidence that this trade is a realistic possibility?

Without some realistic expectation that this trade is a real possibility, this thread seems silly--perhaps even sillier than Madden. It assumes that Browns would accept pick #30 for Gordon.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 23, 2014 at 7:29 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:

I am not sue that his problem was smoking pot, are you?

By the way, did any one (Izynnier) find us a link for the information about Aldon Smith being subject to a one year suspension,
[ Edited by buck on Jan 23, 2014 at 7:33 PM ]
Turn the page. It's not going to happen.
I am not sue that his problem was smoking pot, are you?

By the way, did any one (Izynnier) find us a link for the information about Aldon Smith being subject to a one year suspension,

This is from the league policy handbook .whith two dui and a marijuana charge and felony weapons charges what stage do you think Aldon would be at?In Stage 1, the fine is three-seventeenths of an amount specified in the player's contract. That percentage escalates to four-seventeenths in the next step. These also go along with suspensions. In Stage 3, the penalty is banishment from the league for one calendar year.

The league can also punish players for tampered testing samples and for any time they have run-ins with the law (i.e. a DUI or possession charge).http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CEYQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F1875478-breaking-down-how-the-nfl-substance-abuse-policy-works&ei=pOXhUvu6M8T-oQSVxYLgBw&usg=AFQjCNFTwYeASadbxEIWlMHK3J0dQMuvog&sig2=U1nkhIFOf1WyAHENLMARvg&bvm=bv.59930103,d.cGU
[ Edited by Izyniner on Jan 23, 2014 at 8:02 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
He wants to remain a WR with a lot of stats and not a blocking WR with whatever.... Roman / Kap
Share 49ersWebzone