LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Time to trade our 1st round pick to Cleveland for Gordon

Shop 49ers game tickets
no way cleveland does it now, maybe 2 first round picks
Woulda been nice earlier this year when he WAS Available but now he's a commodity that will command top tier compensation . Imagine if we woulda picked him up for a second ... He is the kinda dude that could put our receiving core talent level above Sea. Although i have serious concerns about Kaps abillity to spead the ball out i do believe with gordon and boldin we would have won at least one more game in the regular season thus giving us 1 seed and so on....Hindsight is 20/20 but I believe going with Q as the only legit WR for most of the year is a blunder along the same line as going with Brett swain and joe Hastings when randy and TO we're waiting the whole year ... I just want to see a little urgency when we have 95% of a championship team together ..
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Loco49er:
As long as we have Roman any receiver we get is going to waste away in this offense.

Yeah, I was so disturbed to see Boldin waste away that I.......
Originally posted by midrdan:
His stats are impressive, but has anyone actually done a break down to see how many of those yards were gained late in the game, after the Browns were basically out of it and the opposing defenses were in some form of soft zone or prevent? Gordon is very good, but statistics are somewhat deceiving.

I would rather trade up for Watkins - cheaper, younger, probably just as talented, and without the off field issues.

801 of his yards were gained with the Browns either ahead or down by less than 7. He scored 6 of his touchdown's in that scenario.

When the Browns were getting blown out and losing by 9-16 points, his total receiving yards was 285, so no, he wasn't a guy whose stats were inflated due to playing on a bad team, his touchdown's and big plays all generally came when the game was still undecided.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by BobS:
1600 yards in 14 games catching passes from the bums the Browns played at QB this year? I doubt the Browns would trade him at any price.

His stats are impressive, but has anyone actually done a break down to see how many of those yards were gained late in the game, after the Browns were basically out of it and the opposing defenses were in some form of soft zone or prevent? Gordon is very good, but statistics are somewhat deceiving.

I would rather trade up for Watkins - cheaper, younger, probably just as talented, and without the off field issues.

in no way would watkins be cheaper. gordon was a 2nd round supplemental pick. watkins would make more from day 1 of his career than gordon has been making his first 2 season. also the compensation factors into how much he would cost. aside from that yeah he`d be worth a look at trading up to get.

I just meant that we would have longer control of Watkins at a price determined under the rookie wage scale than we would have control over Gordon at his current price. Gordon is going to get paid in 2015. Watkins won't until 2017 or so. I'm not sure how much more it would cost us to move up to draft Watkins than it would to acquire Gordon, but I think it would be fairly close.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

801 of his yards were gained with the Browns either ahead or down by less than 7. He scored 6 of his touchdown's in that scenario.

When the Browns were getting blown out and losing by 9-16 points, his total receiving yards was 285, so no, he wasn't a guy whose stats were inflated due to playing on a bad team, his touchdown's and big plays all generally came when the game was still undecided.

Agreed. I don't think anyone should question Gordon as a #1 WR talent with even more potential (I believe) than our own Crabtree. The problem is we already have a #1 and a pretty good one at that. If you trade for Gordon that means you are moving on from Crabtree in a year so is THAT the deal you want to make? That one isn't an easy question and thus I would go with the devil you know (Crabtree).
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jan 23, 2014 at 12:56 PM ]
I just meant that we would have longer control of Watkins at a price determined under the rookie wage scale than we would have control over Gordon at his current price. Gordon is going to get paid in 2015. Watkins won't until 2017 or so. I'm not sure how much more it would cost us to move up to draft Watkins than it would to acquire Gordon, but I think it would be fairly close.

Are you prepared to see the 49ers give up 2 1st rounders, a 2nd and 3rd rounder and at least 2 4th rounders? Because that is what Watkins would cost, roughly.

Meaning, 49ers give up on 3 or 4 potential starters or quality backups and additional depth they could have added for a guy who has yet to play a single down in the NFL and may not turn out to be good at all.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Wewillwin:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Wewillwin:
You guys are nuts. Gordon is all-pro. Every team in the NFL would trade their first for him. He lead the league in receiving in only 14 games. We would be so god damn lucky if they traded him to us - but they obviously wouldn't.

We wouldn't need to resign Boldin, we'd save 4 or 5mil, and would have a top 3 NFL receiver under contract for two years who would immediately be our #1.

Again...I doubt he's even available.

If they did make that trade, how much do you have to pay him in 2 years (and in reality, it's one year because he'll be looking for a new contract with 1 year left)? How do you resign Crab, Iupati, Kap and Aldon. The only reason Gordon might even be available is because he's had substance issues which means he's one strike from a long suspension. If that weren't the case, there would be no story.

This isn't how the 49ers operate. They will use their draft picks to get guys who will be strapped to their rookie contracts for several years.

Yeah, I don't think he's available and there's no way he'd be available for only a first after the year he just had. You know what, you sign him over Crab and Iupati no question. He's on par with Aldon in terms of being one of the best at his positions, at a tough position to fill. I probably wouldn't resign him because all-star WR's want too much $$$$ for the value they bring to their team, but keep him on board for two years. Would you not trade a first for two years of Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson, considering you're paying them nothing??

When you have a team this talented, with this many draft picks and you already know you're not going to be able resign all of your great players - you can make this type of trade.

I kinda look at it from the opposite perspective. When you know you won't be able to resign all your starters, you maximize your draft picks to draft much cheaper replacements. The more picks you have the more chances you have to hit on one of them.

I definitely get what you're saying but your'e talking about the best receiver in the NFL last year who is young as hell and going to be cheap for two more years. If he was available for a first round pick (which he's obviously not), I think it's a no brainer, especially when receiver's still a big need for us. You'll also save around 5mil on Boldin to keep resigning our players like you said and a healthy Crabs + Gordon would rival Alshon & Brandon and Roddy & Julio. *Sigh* too bad Cleveland isn't that stupid!

Btw Marvin, big ups to you - I know I only have 60 or whatever posts but I've been a Zoner for 5 or 6 years and am on it daily. I've read everyone of your "Thoughts after rewatching" the game posts and they're great, keep it up!
I Find It Silly when People say: "This Isn't Madden". Uh duh, that's what the NFL has become, guys change teams all the time via trade, release, draft, street FA, UFA, TFA, RFA. Look at the two teams in the SB, Manning acquired as a FA biggest FA of all time considered. Seachickens traded for Marshawn Lynch in 2010 season, STUDD RB. So Please don't sit there and tell me "This isn't Madden". And for that instance, look at the Patriots, they acquired CB Aqib Talib via trae and Lagarrete Blount VIA trade.

Are you prepared to see the 49ers give up 2 1st rounders, a 2nd and 3rd rounder and at least 2 4th rounders? Because that is what Watkins would cost, roughly.

Meaning, 49ers give up on 3 or 4 potential starters or quality backups and additional depth they could have added for a guy who has yet to play a single down in the NFL and may not turn out to be good at all.

If my choices are between Gordon and Watkins and you put a gun to my head, I'd pick Watkins assuming it will cost roughly the same to acquire either player. But I'm not a fan of trading away our draft for either player, no.

t

Thank you. His numbers are more impressive than I would have thought given who he's playing for.
Originally posted by Method:
He would be like Vd, rarely getting passes because Kap makes a presnap read to Crabs without ever reading the field.

Jus chiming in,pardon the interuption.midrdans got a point, i like his viewpoint overall.......To your question though,we have a low 1 and lets pressume a low 1 next year,two 2's and will have multiple 3's this year,not sure how many 4's this year.Wouldnt have a problem with next years 4.....So if thats the price n we keep most of our original picks,i dont see a problem.Im jus sayin lol.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Jan 23, 2014 at 1:47 PM ]
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Jus chiming in,pardon the interuption.midrdans got a point, i like his viewpoint overall.......To your question though,we have a low 1 and lets pressume a low 1 next year,two 2's and will have multiple 3's this year,not sure how many 4's this year.Wouldnt have a problem with next years 4.....So if thats the price n we keep most of our original picks,i dont see a problem.Im jus sayin lol.

I do, that's how team's fall apart. Look at Atlanta, they got Julio Jones, and a ton of holes on defense. Like I did in the other thread, let's put it this way.

The Falcons could have had Julio Jones..............OR they could have had the following

2011-1st Round-Cam Jordan-DE
2011-2nd Round-Torrey Smith-WR
2011-4th Round-Richard Sherman-CB
2012-1st Round-Whitney Mercilus-DE
2012-4th Round-Brandon Boykins-CB

Would you really trade the latter for the former? I sure as hell wouldn't. That's the risk you take when you trade up, that one guy has to carry your team more than those 4 or 5 other guys you potentially gave up on. Now the Falcons have to talk contract extension with Julio Jones, pay him like a top WR, further putting a crunch on their ability to make moves and add talent. I see a team that will struggle for traction over the next few years. As others have said, you don't build your team around WR's.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 23, 2014 at 2:02 PM ]
some people play too much Madden
Share 49ersWebzone