There are 144 users in the forums

Time to trade our 1st round pick to Cleveland for Gordon

Shop 49ers game tickets
Okay, why do we all still think Cleveland will part ways with Gordon? The organization has made it clear that they're not trading Gordon.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erforlife:
I've thought about this for awhile now and this makes the most sense.

In Madden football it makes sense.

In the real world, it only makes sense if the Browns want to make a trade.

They did not make the trade last year. What makes you think they want to make the trade now.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Okay, why do we all still think Cleveland will part ways with Gordon? The organization has made it clear that they're not trading Gordon.

And certainly not for one low 1st round pick.

End thread
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by 49erforlife:
I've thought about this for awhile now and this makes the most sense.

In Madden football it makes sense.

In the real world, it only makes sense if the Browns want to make a trade.

They did not make the trade last year. What makes you think they want to make the trade now.

worst thing that ever happened was this guy possibly being available becoming so public. it made everyone think he`s available and that it is a no brainer decision to go and get him. trading for josh gordon somehow became the new suck for luck.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
That train left the station.

This, anyone who thinks that Gordon is getting traded now is out of their mind. Gordon was playing better than any receiver in the NFL, even Calvin Johnson late in the season, with s**tty QB's throwing to him. He's not going anywhere.
yea, we should trade our entire draft for a super bowl....
As long as we have Roman any receiver we get is going to waste away in this offense.
Even though the Browns haven't hired a new head coach yet, you can bet whomever takes that job will want to keep Gordon. He's one of the few bright spots on that team. No teams bit last season when he was supposedly "available". There must be valid reasons why. Anything's possible w/draft picks, but I wouldn't look for Baalke to make that deal, if for no other reason than the cap. Rookies are relatively easy on the cap now, so odds are that's how we improve the position.
Originally posted by BobS:
1600 yards in 14 games catching passes from the bums the Browns played at QB this year? I doubt the Browns would trade him at any price.

His stats are impressive, but has anyone actually done a break down to see how many of those yards were gained late in the game, after the Browns were basically out of it and the opposing defenses were in some form of soft zone or prevent? Gordon is very good, but statistics are somewhat deceiving.

I would rather trade up for Watkins - cheaper, younger, probably just as talented, and without the off field issues.
Originally posted by midrdan:
Originally posted by BobS:
1600 yards in 14 games catching passes from the bums the Browns played at QB this year? I doubt the Browns would trade him at any price.

His stats are impressive, but has anyone actually done a break down to see how many of those yards were gained late in the game, after the Browns were basically out of it and the opposing defenses were in some form of soft zone or prevent? Gordon is very good, but statistics are somewhat deceiving.

I would rather trade up for Watkins - cheaper, younger, probably just as talented, and without the off field issues.

in no way would watkins be cheaper. gordon was a 2nd round supplemental pick. watkins would make more from day 1 of his career than gordon has been making his first 2 season. also the compensation factors into how much he would cost. aside from that yeah he`d be worth a look at trading up to get.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Jan 23, 2014 at 11:04 AM ]

We wouldn't have the money to resign him. This would be a short term deal and in the long term would hurt the team overall.
just like the hawks did for harvin right?

dude is a risk
3 words: This isn't Madden
Originally posted by Wewillwin:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Wewillwin:
You guys are nuts. Gordon is all-pro. Every team in the NFL would trade their first for him. He lead the league in receiving in only 14 games. We would be so god damn lucky if they traded him to us - but they obviously wouldn't.

We wouldn't need to resign Boldin, we'd save 4 or 5mil, and would have a top 3 NFL receiver under contract for two years who would immediately be our #1.

Again...I doubt he's even available.

If they did make that trade, how much do you have to pay him in 2 years (and in reality, it's one year because he'll be looking for a new contract with 1 year left)? How do you resign Crab, Iupati, Kap and Aldon. The only reason Gordon might even be available is because he's had substance issues which means he's one strike from a long suspension. If that weren't the case, there would be no story.

This isn't how the 49ers operate. They will use their draft picks to get guys who will be strapped to their rookie contracts for several years.

Yeah, I don't think he's available and there's no way he'd be available for only a first after the year he just had. You know what, you sign him over Crab and Iupati no question. He's on par with Aldon in terms of being one of the best at his positions, at a tough position to fill. I probably wouldn't resign him because all-star WR's want too much $$$$ for the value they bring to their team, but keep him on board for two years. Would you not trade a first for two years of Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson, considering you're paying them nothing??

When you have a team this talented, with this many draft picks and you already know you're not going to be able resign all of your great players - you can make this type of trade.

I kinda look at it from the opposite perspective. When you know you won't be able to resign all your starters, you maximize your draft picks to draft much cheaper replacements. The more picks you have the more chances you have to hit on one of them.
the time for this trade has passed.when it became "public" that he was trade bait,THAT was the time.price would be waaay too high now.

i do agree that something needs to be done with the offense 1st before any personnel splash.roman wont utilize the player(s)properly,n Kap gotta go thru his progressions.IF these change,im all in wit a trade up ala Julio Jones for Watkins,Evans,Lee or a trade.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Jan 23, 2014 at 12:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone