LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Time to trade our 1st round pick to Cleveland for Gordon

Shop 49ers game tickets
I've thought about this for awhile now and this makes the most sense. As you know our WR draft history hasn't been great minus Crabtree falling into our laps. With Boldin a free agent and possibly only a few more years left, now is the time to call Cleveland and get Gordon into a 49er uniform. Can you even imagine Boldin, Crabs, Gordon, and VD on the field at the same time? This team doesn't need 14 picks and can fill the rest of our needs with the remaining portion. Before someone posts that Gordon has had some issues, ask yourselves this. If we are unable to resign Crabs, is Gordon a good replacement? Then ask yourself who were Gordon's quarterbacks this year? Baalke needs to make this happen now!
1- picks are good for building a long term contender of a team.

2- being stacked at receiver is useless until kap learns to go through his progressions.
If it didn't happen when he was possibly avaliable sure as heck not going to happen now
  • dara
  • Veteran
Ya then we should trade our 2nd and 3rd rounders for Peyton Manning
Why not but if that happens I can't see us resign Boldin. I think in that case resign T.Brown or a CB Free Agent will be better for us.
I rather take my chances on a rookie WR in the draft as awesome as Gordon is Roman would have no clue on how to use him and Kaep.will just stare down Crabtree on routes anyway why give up a 1st round pick and pay his huge salary when we wont even get a lot of production out of him like Cleveland did,
[ Edited by Raul98 on Jan 23, 2014 at 7:26 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
So lets trade a 1st rounder for a #3 receiver? Because that is what Gordon would be be until he learned the O and/or we let go/traded Boldin or Crabtree....

Last season I was admittedly part of the Mike Wallace trade bandwagon but that was before it become painfully obvious that only 3 people will be targeted when Kaepernick is running this O that HaRo has created.

Say we did sign Boldin to a respectable 2-3 year deal, Crabtree plays out 2014, and we've traded for Gordon who by the end of the 2014 would need an extension because he's an FA after 2015.

So now we've got Boldin inked for 1-2 more years and then have to choose between if not sign both Crabtree and Gordon to probably top10/15 money(Crabtree), top 5 money(Gordon).

Add that to the insanity of picking between Iupati, Hunter, Miller, Kilgore(supposed center of the future), Culliver, and even Dorsey.

Then absolutely needing to sign Aldon and Kaepernick...

So by 2015 we'd have to be paying Kaepernick top 5-10 QB money, Aldon top 5 OLB money, Crabtree top 10 WR money, Gordon top 5 WR money plus the salaries of Willis, Bowman, Vernon, Staley and many more.

Our team can't afford to pay that many new top contracts when we've already got several others making top tier money.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 23, 2014 at 7:27 AM ]
You guys are nuts. Gordon is all-pro. Every team in the NFL would trade their first for him. He lead the league in receiving in only 14 games. We would be so god damn lucky if they traded him to us - but they obviously wouldn't.

We wouldn't need to resign Boldin, we'd save 4 or 5mil, and would have a top 3 NFL receiver under contract for two years who would immediately be our #1.
[ Edited by Wewillwin on Jan 23, 2014 at 7:46 AM ]
He would be like Vd, rarely getting passes because Kap makes a presnap read to Crabs without ever reading the field.
!

1) Why do you think he's even available?

2) Why use a 1 on a guy with only a year or 2 left on his contract and is going to want huge $$$? They have enough trouble trying to resign Kap, Aldon, Crab, and Iupati.

3) This just ain't what they do. They will keep the pick, possibly take a WR, and they will get that guy for 4-5 years stuck on a rookie contract so they keep him and pay the guys they have to pay. Dashone Goldson is perfect example. Let him walk fo his 10 mil per and use a pick for a gy who will be on a rookie deal for several years (Reid).

Don't expect any big splashes. The Niners will resign a few of their guys, sign a few value free agents, and do most of their dirty work in the draft in May.

Originally posted by Wewillwin:
You guys are nuts. Gordon is all-pro. Every team in the NFL would trade their first for him. He lead the league in receiving in only 14 games. We would be so god damn lucky if they traded him to us - but they obviously wouldn't.

We wouldn't need to resign Boldin, we'd save 4 or 5mil, and would have a top 3 NFL receiver under contract for two years who would immediately be our #1.

Again...I doubt he's even available.

If they did make that trade, how much do you have to pay him in 2 years (and in reality, it's one year because he'll be looking for a new contract with 1 year left)? How do you resign Crab, Iupati, Kap and Aldon. The only reason Gordon might even be available is because he's had substance issues which means he's one strike from a long suspension. If that weren't the case, there would be no story.

This isn't how the 49ers operate. They will use their draft picks to get guys who will be strapped to their rookie contracts for several years.
That train left the station.
If you think we could get Gordon for a 29th pick then maybe you just started watching football last year.
Pshh...Hell No! While Gordon is extremely talented he is one screw up away from a year suspension and having to apply to be reinstated back in the NFL. No way I would give up a first rounder for that. I'll take my chances in the draft.
Originally posted by Wewillwin:

if this were true he would have been traded already. either they werent serious about dealing him, wanted way too much for him, or he really wasnt as available as everyone think he is/was.
Share 49ersWebzone