There are 170 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

the nfl should be embarassed

  • Antix
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,231
My issue is that there seems to be no repercussions for missing calls or making bad calls that have major affects on the game. A ref can completely blow a call then the next t week they trot on the field to call another game. No fine, no 15 yard penalty, nothing.

The NFL doesn't give much of a s**t about officiating. Remember this is the league that trotted out amateurs to ref games because they were being cheap. We didnt lose because of the refs, but there were 4 very bad calls in the game 2 of which eventually led to 10 Seattle points. Another bad call affected our ability to get into FG range before halftime. We still had the chance to win, but the calls that were missed weren't difficult and pretty routine. But these guys still get paid and still ref games and this was supposed to be an 'all star" crew. There is no penalty for being a s**tty ref. At worst you lose your part time job but I dunno even how much that happens.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,195
Anyone that believes that officials (not all referees BUT a lot of them AND possibly most) do not have a personal investment and/or biased coming into a game is probably the same person that believes all politicians are honest and never lie.

The NFL is a billion dollar industry... anyone that thinks there's not a lot of corruption going on in there, then please, meet me somewhere for coffee. I have some ideas I would like to sell you for every cent you have
I won't deny that Bowman got the ball, and hell he deserved the ball, held onto it with the knee twist, that's IMPRESSIVE.

But we get the ball on the next play and hell we screw up fumble it and give you guys the ball on the 20 I think? We get ZERO points.

Now imagine if you got the ball as you wanted...ball would be at the 1. Maybe you guys get the first down...or MAYBE we get a safety and the ball back.

We rough the kicker you guys get to continue the drive..maybe the whole game changes and you guys win because of a TD from that drive...or MAYBE we win because of a Pick Six CK throws shortly later. Just saying you really can't say oh if so and so changed this would have happened. At least not for the above situations.

I don't complain about calls, Seahawks have had their fair share of bad calls and non-calls over history as well, but in general I think they all cancel out. A call can cost you a play, but the team wins you the game.

Please don't bring up the tin foil hat theories either, there are so many of them in Seattle and I'm not on that bandwagon either. We lost the Sonics cus we screwed up, we lost the SB because the Steelers played better.

Lastly there IS talk about making EVERY play reviewable, but my God how slow is the game going to be after that.
[ Edited by zaghawk on Jan 21, 2014 at 11:12 PM ]
Originally posted by zaghawk:
I won't deny that Bowman got the ball, and hell he deserved the ball, held onto it with the knee twist, that's IMPRESSIVE.

But we get the ball on the next play and hell we screw up fumble it and give you guys the ball on the 20 I think? We get ZERO points.

Now imagine if you got the ball as you wanted...ball would be at the 1. Maybe you guys get the first down...or MAYBE we get a safety and the ball back.

We rough the kicker you guys get to continue the drive..maybe the whole game changes and you guys win because of a TD from that drive...or MAYBE we win because of a Pick Six CK throws shortly later. Just saying you really can't say oh if so and so changed this would have happened. At least not for the above situations.

I don't complain about calls, Seahawks have had their fair share of bad calls and non-calls over history as well, but in general I think they all cancel out. A call can cost you a play, but the team wins you the game.

Please don't bring up the tin foil hat theories either, there are so many of them in Seattle and I'm not on that bandwagon either. We lost the Sonics cus we screwed up, we lost the SB because the Steelers played better.

Lastly there IS talk about making EVERY play reviewable, but my God how slow is the game going to be after that.

I don't think I've seen a single poster put this loss on the refs. The refs sucked and impacted the game, but no one is saying what you're saying.
Originally posted by Antix:
My issue is that there seems to be no repercussions for missing calls or making bad calls that have major affects on the game. A ref can completely blow a call then the next t week they trot on the field to call another game. No fine, no 15 yard penalty, nothing.

The NFL doesn't give much of a s**t about officiating. Remember this is the league that trotted out amateurs to ref games because they were being cheap. We didn't lose because of the refs, but there were 4 very bad calls in the game 2 of which eventually led to 10 Seattle points. Another bad call affected our ability to get into FG range before halftime. We still had the chance to win, but the calls that were missed weren't difficult and pretty routine. But these guys still get paid and still ref games and this was supposed to be an 'all star" crew. There is no penalty for being a s**tty ref. At worst you lose your part time job but I dunno even how much that happens.
I am really tired of all the posters saying we did not lose because of the refs. WE DID LOSE BECAUSE OF THE REFS!

1) The NO game was ours except for a bogus call by the officials; winning that game would have put us as the @1 seed, thus changing everything else.
2) The first half NFCCG unnecessary roughness call against Whitner was bogus and cost us possession.
3) The missed roughing the kicker call gave the ball back to Seattle in good field position, instead of giving us a new set of downs and great field position.

You m,ay suggest that we cannot know what would have happened if... and I agree... but we can reasonably conclude that when you add up all of the bad calls or bad noncalls that went against the 49ers this year, it cost us the championship. Even though one bad call can generally not be given as a reason for losing a game, a pattern of bad calls against a team will have the cumulative effect of causing that team to lose. That is certainly what happened here.

I suspect that many of the refs are accepting bribes to slant their calling in favor of a particular team. Betting on football is a billion dollar industry.

The 49ers are the 2013 NFC Champions, even though the history books will say otherwise.
they really do need to start reviewing calls the refs make. IDK how many times this year Whitner got called for helmet to helmet hits, replay shows it was all shoulder and no contact to the opponents helmet.
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
I am really tired of all the posters saying we did not lose because of the refs. WE DID LOSE BECAUSE OF THE REFS!
. . .
The 49ers are the 2013 NFC Champions, even though the history books will say otherwise.

Well so much for my comment in post #34.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
They just need to institute more reviews/challenges for plays like Lee's interference and Bowman's picks. It'll slow down the game but it'll be worth it for the victimized team.

I kinda agree with this. Give them three challenges each half (one for each possible loss of time out). I rather have that than them reviewing every play.
How about adding more officials to the field? Or put some officials in a booth who can radio down to the ref that a flag is to be thrown?
the college replay system is better than the NFL (booth review by an official outside the crew and away from the fans)


the college system on illegal hits are also better than in the NFL. (review to see if the hit was actually illegal)
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by BobS:
Fans that continually complain about the officiating are the ones who should be embarrassed. You have 7 guys watching 22 that are going full speed at field level, there will be mistakes. They all balance out, the officials are not determining the outcome of games the way many of you biased homers think. If the NFL really cared who won a team with a small following like the Seahawks would not be in the Super Bowl.

I heard that a ref (not sure if it was the head ref) in this game was also reffing college hoops games in the days prior to the NFC championship game. All because the NFL is too cheap to pay their officials full time.

The NFL should be embarrassed. Fatigue should not be an issue for officials prior to any game, let alone league championship games. Biased homerism has nothing to do with it.

I've seen what the NFL refs, umpires, etc make. It's a great salary, especially for what they do.
Originally posted by kingairta:
How about adding more officials to the field? Or put some officials in a booth who can radio down to the ref that a flag is to be thrown?

Such an obvious answer and a simple solution. I wouldn't care about slowing the game down slightly, as long as the calls are RIGHT. A few eyes on the field can not catch all of the action, especially at that speed, and # of rules. Would it hurt to have a few experts in a studio watching the game on different screens at different viewpoints? I don't think it would hurt the game, just make it efficient and called better.
Originally posted by BigYellowKahuna:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
They just need to institute more reviews/challenges for plays like Lee's interference and Bowman's picks. It'll slow down the game but it'll be worth it for the victimized team.

I kinda agree with this. Give them three challenges each half (one for each possible loss of time out). I rather have that than them reviewing every play.
I would even go as far as unlimited challenges, but change the rule a bit. If you win, the challenge is upheld, and you keep your timeout as it is now. However, ff you are out of time outs, and you lose the challenge, you lose 10 yards for each failed challenge.
I'm curious of those that think officiating cost you the #1 seed, how did you feel about the fumble in the game inn the stick that was deemed not reviewable?

That turn over stops a drive you scored on and in a game you won by 2 points.

If we trade calls and take points off the board you lose and Seattle locks up the #1 seed and your playing a highly motivated Cardinals team to even get in.

I'm at work on my cell so this is brief. Not trying to start crap and please excuse my spelling but I am curious if this question ever cmes up.
Originally posted by 12thfan:
I'm curious of those that think officiating cost you the #1 seed, how did you feel about the fumble in the game inn the stick that was deemed not reviewable?

That turn over stops a drive you scored on and in a game you won by 2 points.

If we trade calls and take points off the board you lose and Seattle locks up the #1 seed and your playing a highly motivated Cardinals team to even get in.

I'm at work on my cell so this is brief. Not trying to start crap and please excuse my spelling but I am curious if this question ever cmes up.

the refs owe us. that's how i felt.......... see Brooks hit on Brees.



personally i don't blame the refs. i blame goodell. no one knows the rules anymore. i've even heard the game announcers say that this is the first time they don't know what a catch is anymore.