Roger Goodell - Review Committee

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by NCommand:
The NFL is a billion dollar industry and it insists on using part-time referees. One of them in game against Seattle worked two or three college basketball games in the same week as the NFC championship game.

The game needs full-time, well-paid professionals officiating its games.

The league needs to establish set officiating teams, to set up a rigorous training program, which would include mandatory film study each week, and to ensure that there is a uniform understanding of the rules.

Major officiating errors should result in fines and repeated errors should result in suspensions.

An apprenticeship program should be formed to help create a pool of well trained professionals.

I think this is fair and would be ideal. As we've seen, one poor call can have a domino-effect on an entire season, not just for one team either.

The league has the money and resources to make these changes.

The officiating is broken and needs fixing. Adding a review is no more than a stop gag measure.
It might be needed but it does not solve the problem.

Continued poor officiating harms the integrity of the game.

It sure does! Even the biggest homer only wants the game to be called fairly and correctly within the rules consistently.

They did say that calls can be made instantaneously...they referenced the Bowman fumble and that if 54-million people can instantly see it was a fumble and recovery by us, they can easily have the booth review call down to the head official (like hockey) and move on instead of going over to the sideline to review for 5 minutes.

And how many times have we been screwed now by these "early whistles" now in championship games? That's another big one and VERY inconsistent.

BTW: Can someone explain the call on the 3rd down Dixon TD? Did they claim his elbow hit prior to crossing the goal line? Next I saw it was 4th and goal. We ended up with the TD anyhow but that play resulted in Iupati cracking his ankle and I'm sure CK with some additional pressure in pass protection and poor run blocking with Snyder in there.

The ruling was his forearm hit before he made it into the endzone.

As far as I can tell, it was the right call.
The ruling was his forearm hit before he made it into the endzone.

As far as I can tell, it was the right call.

OK great...we had no sound at the airport so I couldn't hear the ruling. Thank you.
Don't like the idea of getting rid of the extra point, but if it came down to eliminating that or kickoffs,then I'd say forget the XP.

As for review, this pattern of multiple iterations to the rules, where every couple years now this can be reviewed but that can't, it's just stupid. Heed the wisdom of Belichick and make everything reviewable within the context of the current challenge/booth initiated reviews. It's just common sense, which means the NFL will never do it.
Need bully rule. Sherman is a bully.
from what i read if they drop the extra point, you get 7 for the td but can still go for 2 to make it 8, but if you dont get it you drop to 6 points
I think the stat i heard this morning was 17 extra points missed in the last 3 years.
I do think it sucks that they opt to correct these rules after they have screwed us, but hey, that is how a lot of rules came about. See any rule created because of Brady and Manning.
Here's how you make the extra point/2-pt conversion more exciting:

1. If you decide to kick, it's from the 17 yard line (with the kick being 35 yards from the 25).

2. Extra point kicks and 2-pt conversions can be returned by the defensive team to the other endzone for 2-pts.

Can you imagine how stressful/important an extra point kick from 35 yards out would be in a game just tied up by a TD at the end of regulation when you not only have a greater chance to miss, but if it's blocked and returned you could actually lose the game?
Originally posted by AUniner:
Sound bytes. Crappy officials will still be crappy.

I'm fairly confident the owners will vote to keep the same playoff seeding. I mean, if you win your division who wants to be the guy that misses out on a home playoff game because your team didn't win enough games due to other divisions being weaker and 2 teams cruising to a nice record(didn't happen this year but this wasn't any normal season IMO).

Extra Points possibly going
So?
Originally posted by crabman82:
from what i read if they drop the extra point, you get 7 for the td but can still go for 2 to make it 8, but if you dont get it you drop to 6 points

that's good. maybe even make the 2 point play more challenging by making them start around 10-15 yard line.
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Jan 22, 2014 at 3:56 PM ]

Originally posted by crabman82:
does this get rid of the option to go for 2?

You automatically get 7. You can go for 8, but if you don't get it, you get 6. It just removes the kick. Personally, I say leave it in. They just want more time for commercials.
The NFL is a billion dollar industry and it insists on using part-time referees. One of them in game against Seattle worked two or three college basketball games in the same week as the NFC championship game.

The league needs to establish set officiating teams, to set up a rigorous training program, which would include mandatory film study each week, and to ensure that there is a uniform understanding of the rules.

Major officiating errors should result in fines and repeated errors should result in suspensions.

An apprenticeship program should be formed to help create a pool of well trained professionals.

The refs make around 6 figures a year with full benefits. Also do you remember the ref lockout? Go look at what the NFL wanted done and what the refs fought against. Blame the ref union for this crap.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
i'm gonna miss Dante.

Originally posted by jreff22:

The refs make around 6 figures a year with full benefits. Also do you remember the ref lockout? Go look at what the NFL wanted done and what the refs fought against. Blame the ref union for this crap.

That's exactly right, they get about 5k a game during the regular season. And seriously, in this day and age, there should be multiple cameras at every angle, and have the officials in a room watching the game as we do. No need to run around and miss everything, or get in the way.
Roger Goodell makes $44.2 million in last fiscal year
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 14, 2014, 3:07 PM EST AP
"The NFL continues making money at ridiculous rates, so it stands to reason they'd spread it around.

According to Daniel Kaplan of Sports Business Daily, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell made $44.2 million in the 12-month span that ended March 31, 2013.

That includes $9.1 million in deferred pension and bonus earned the previous year.

This time a year ago, Goodell's compensation nearing $30 million caused much grumbling, since he hadn't made more than $11.5 million in a season before the lockout.

Of course, since then, the league keeps signing new labor deals and television deals that clearly favor the business, and his bosses clearly appreciate it.

Owners Arthur Blank, Robert Kraft and Jerry Richardson wrote in a letter to their fellow owners that is scheduled to be emailed this afternoon, which reads: "Goodell's compensation reflects our pay-for-performance philosophy and is appropriate given the fact that the NFL under his consistently strong leadership continues to grow."

And so does Goodell's wallet."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/14/roger-goodell-makes-44-2-million-in-last-year/
Share 49ersWebzone