LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

Open Letter to Roger Goodell

Shop 49ers game tickets
Dear Commissioner Goodell:

This weekend the San Francisco 49ers will play the Seattle Seahawks in the NFC Championship game for the right to advance to the Superbowl. The NFL community (ie. players, coaches and fans) are discovering a disturbing trend that any NFC West fan has know for at least three seasons that could directly affect the outcome of the upcoming championship game.

The Seattle Seahawks defensive backs are not playing within the confines of the NFL rulebook and are not being penalized for their renegade style of play.

When one team is afforded certain allowances that other teams are not given it takes away from the competitive spirit of the game which in turn takes away from the entertainment value of the game. The NFL is experiencing record ticket sales and TV viewership. If it were widely known that certain teams were favored or that game outcomes were predetermined I am certain the popularity of the NFL would plummet.

Casual fans, drive-by fans, hard-core fans, current players, coaches and commentators are all talking about the illegal holding and pass interference that the Seattle defensive backs are getting away with. When will the NFL and its referees put a stop to this? I know that Seattle is the most penalized team in football when it comes to defensive pass interference and the third most penalized team when it comes to defensive holding. They are certainly not being penalized frequently enough if the renegade style of play they practice continues.

As a life-long fan of the National Football League I would ask you to be a good steward of the game and put a stop to the antics of the Seahawks and allow us, the fans, to watch a truly level playing field in this weekend's championship game. Win or lose we simply ask for a fair competition.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4ML:

I'm running out of Kleenex.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I'm not sure how the original post prompted you to masturbate, but ok.
Originally posted by ArmchairQB:

This weekend the San Francisco 49ers will play the Seattle Seahawks in the NFC Championship game for the right to advance to the Superbowl. The NFL community (ie. players, coaches and fans) are discovering a disturbing trend that any NFC West fan has know for at least three seasons that could directly affect the outcome of the upcoming championship game.

The Seattle Seahawks defensive backs are not playing within the confines of the NFL rulebook and are not being penalized for their renegade style of play.

When one team is afforded certain allowances that other teams are not given it takes away from the competitive spirit of the game which in turn takes away from the entertainment value of the game. The NFL is experiencing record ticket sales and TV viewership. If it were widely known that certain teams were favored or that game outcomes were predetermined I am certain the popularity of the NFL would plummet.

Casual fans, drive-by fans, hard-core fans, current players, coaches and commentators are all talking about the illegal holding and pass interference that the Seattle defensive backs are getting away with. When will the NFL and its referees put a stop to this? I know that Seattle is the most penalized team in football when it comes to defensive pass interference and the third most penalized team when it comes to defensive holding. They are certainly not being penalized frequently enough if the renegade style of play they practice continues.

As a life-long fan of the National Football League I would ask you to be a good steward of the game and put a stop to the antics of the Seahawks and allow us, the fans, to watch a truly level playing field in this weekend's championship game. Win or lose we simply ask for a fair competition.

Please tell me you're not limiting this gem to just posting it here for us...send this immediately to Goodell via post, email, and fax. It is that good.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:

HAH

Good letter. It will make us sound like whiners, but it's not just us that has complained about it. They are getting away with a heck of a lot and so there is not an even playing field. At least let other teams get away with holding too, if you're not going to call it on them.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Good letter. It will make us sound like whiners, but it's not just us that has complained about it. They are getting away with a heck of a lot and so there is not an even playing field. At least let other teams get away with holding too, if you're not going to call it on them.

Having said that Roger Goodell wouldn't do s**t about this. Remember he simply gave the Patriots a slap on the wrist for Spygate. And they got 3 Superbowls out of that s**t.

Originally posted by 4ML:

This.

Please delete your thread before people see it.
Originally posted by sfout:

HAH

I would agree .I sent out quite bit on few blogs several months back. So that plus amplified sound makes them competitive

• BobS
  • Veteran
Really tired of people complaining about the officiating. How penalties are called have evolved quite a bit over the years. Per 1970's rules every offensive lineman either holds or illegally uses hands. Well if people think the Seahawks are getting away with defensive holding as far as how that is called in the 2013 season, they are not as far as the officials are concerned. They are well coached and playing smart, pushing the limit of the rules and still not getting flagged. If this gives them an advantage other teams are losing an edge by not copying them.
Share 49ersWebzone