There are 427 users in the forums

Matt Leinart:"$##$ Ken Whisenhunt!"

Shop 49ers game tickets
Okay, that's not exactly what he said but basically what he was saying if you read between the lines. Dude just ravaged him on an interview on FoxSports, PFT has the article up now. Living here in Arizona, I can't say a lot of this is wrong. Whisenhunt looked like a genius with Warner playing like one of the best QB's in the NFL. Once Warner left, that team fell apart and Whisenhunt couldn't find a QB to save his life, he just kept throwing darts at the wall and hoping and praying one would work.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/15/matt-leinart-warner-not-whisenhunt-got-us-to-a-super-bowl/

Matt Leinart played for Ken Whisenhunt for three seasons in Arizona. Leinart was not impressed with his coach.

Asked on FOX Sports Live whether Whisenhunt will succeed in Tennessee, Leinart expressed skepticism, saying that Whisenhunt is wrongly credited for getting the 2008 Cardinals to the Super Bowl. According to Leinart, it was Kurt Warner who ran the offense that season, not only on the field but in meetings, where Leinart says Warner devised the game plans and Whisenhunt did nothing more than go along for the ride.

"I don't think it's a great fit, and I don't think it's great timing, and here's why," Leinart said of the Titans hiring Whisenhunt. "You look at his tenure in Arizona — only two years, he had success, and in those two years, Kurt Warner ran that football team — I was a part of it. Every single Monday, Kurt Warner would come in and implement 20 to 30 new plays which he would say 'I want these in my game plan.' We became a spread offense and we became Kurt Warner's offense. Then Kurt Warner retires, they go 5-11 twice and they go 8-8."

For his part, Warner said on NFL Network that he thinks Whisenhunt will do a great job with the Titans. Warner added, however, that he thought the Lions — who also wanted Whisenhunt — would have been a better choice for what Whisenhunt brings to the table.

"I'm excited for my old coach Ken Whisenhunt and the job down in Tennessee," Warner said. "I think I'm a little bit surprised like my most people; you felt like a better fit might be in Detroit just because of the pieces that he had, specifically the quarterback he had there."

Leinart said he doesn't think the Titans will succeed with Whisenhunt because Jake Locker isn't the answer at quarterback. Asked directly if he likes Whisenhunt, Leinart laughed incredulously and answered, "Do I like Whisenhunt?"

I'd take that as a no.

he may very well be right, i dont know. but he does come off as sour grapes. just not a good look when you're a failed 1st rounder who is out of the league or at best a 3rd stringer somewhere. if someone hired singletary to be a HC, i'd assume alex smith would no comment it.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Jan 15, 2014 at 8:28 AM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:
he may very well be right, i dont know. but he does come off as sour grapes. just not a good look when you're a failed 1st rounder who is out of the league or at best a 3rd stringer somewhere. if someone hired singletary to be a HC coach, i'd assume alex smith would no comment it.

Nolan also.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by crabman82:
he may very well be right, i dont know. but he does come off as sour grapes. just not a good look when you're a failed 1st rounder who is out of the league or at best a 3rd stringer somewhere. if someone hired singletary to be a HC coach, i'd assume alex smith would no comment it.

Nolan also.

yes him too
I imagine Whisenhunt feels "#### Matt Leinart!"
Could be true.

IMO, Warner was an excellent QB in the right system. He wasn't very good w/the Giants and I'm gad because that's the team I really hate.

Leinart was an epic fail as a QB.

I don't know enough about Whisenhunt to say how he'll do, BUT there are many excellent position coaches who flame out as HC. Norv comes to mind.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Could be true.

IMO, Warner was an excellent QB in the right system. He wasn't very good w/the Giants and I'm gad because that's the team I really hate.

Leinart was an epic fail as a QB.

I don't know enough about Whisenhunt to say how he'll do, BUT there are many excellent position coaches who flame out as HC. Norv comes to mind.

Getting to the Superbowl really bought Whisenhunt a get out of jail free card, people instantly forgot how f**ked up things were prior to that. This guy went through a phase where he was swapping out QB's like every week, Leinart starting one week, Warner the next, then Leinart, then Warner, back and forth, s**t was crazy. I've never thought for once that he's a good coach, from consistently being outcoached and his team coming out looking unprepared to the Singletary-like "I need to look at the tape" comments in postgame conferences, he was incredibly overrated due to that run where they had an amazingly explosive offense featuring Warner, Boldin and Fitzgerald.
LOL I saw that clip too. Leinart might be a douche, but he's probably right about Whisenhunt. AZ's success was all about Warner.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
LOL I saw that clip too. Leinart might be a douche, but he's probably right about Whisenhunt. AZ's success was all about Warner.

Even when he had Warner he was clueless on what to do with him. Whisenhunt will fail in Tennessee, if for no other reason than that he simply doesn't comprehend QB's. He gets this largely undeserved reputation as some sort of guru but reality doesn't bare that out at all.
Leinart may have been a failure at QB, but looking at the product Arizona put out there for 6 years under Whisenhunt, it's hard to argue against what he said. He took no credit for himself nor did he try to make himself look any better as a QB. He gave the credit for Arizona's success to Kurt Warner. Considering how everything went down, how can you really argue that? And keep in mind originally Whisenhunt was doing everything to make Matt Leinart the guy in Arizona originally and they didn't take off until Warner became entrenched as the starter.

We'll see how it goes in Tennessee, but I don't think he will do well.

Everyone knows Kurt made that Cards offense go . . . . I didnt know he installed his own plays on a regular bases. .. . . 49ers should put out some feelers and see if the dude is looking for a coaching roll.
Not saying he's wrong about Wiz but for sure Leinart, the 'entitled' 1st-rounder, was pretty damn butthurt getting benched for a guy he thought was a retread QB. Remember, Warner had just come from a short stay with NYG where he looked washed-up as anything. He only had 2 seasons with the Rams that were really outstanding because "The Greatest Show on Turf" caught lightning in a bottle with an offense nobody knew how to defend until Belichick in 2002 SB.
what's Leinart's excuse for s*cking everywhere else he went?
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Not saying he's wrong about Wiz but for sure Leinart, the 'entitled' 1st-rounder, was pretty damn butthurt getting benched for a guy he thought was a retread QB. Remember, Warner had just come from a short stay with NYG where he looked washed-up as anything. He only had 2 seasons with the Rams that were really outstanding because "The Greatest Show on Turf" caught lightning in a bottle with an offense nobody knew how to defend until Belichick in 2002 SB.

Leinart was never the same after that Patrick Willis Rookie year spear.
Share 49ersWebzone