LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Chiefs looking to extend Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 4t9erfan:
Jason Cole, who broke the initial news, guessed on 610 The Drive radio show in KC that Alex's new deal is "6 years, 17 or 17.5 million a year". This quoted figure is lower than the recent QB contract extensions:

Rodgers = $22.0m per year, $54m guaranteed

Ryan = $20.75m per year, $59m guaranteed

Flacco = $20.1m per year, $52m guaranteed

Brees = $20.0m per year, $60m guaranteed

Peyton = $19.2m per year, $58m guaranteed

Cutler = $18.1m per year, $54m guaranteed

Romo = $18.0m per year, $55m guaranteed

Stafford = $17.6m per year, $41.5m guaranteed

Brady = $11.4m per year, $57m guaranteed (lowered $21.8m salary for new guarantees)

Biggest loser is... Josh Freeman, who could have cashed in with a productive year.

And don't forget, Brady's salary is guaranteed for injury. That means, if he can't walk tomorrow, the team still has to pay him that money.
I don't see Smith getting 50+mil guaranteed. I think closer to Stafford's 40+ mil.

..But if Cutler and Romo can get 54 mil
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 10, 2014 at 7:39 AM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 4t9erfan:
Jason Cole, who broke the initial news, guessed on 610 The Drive radio show in KC that Alex's new deal is "6 years, 17 or 17.5 million a year". This quoted figure is lower than the recent QB contract extensions:

Rodgers = $22.0m per year, $54m guaranteed

Ryan = $20.75m per year, $59m guaranteed

Flacco = $20.1m per year, $52m guaranteed

Brees = $20.0m per year, $60m guaranteed

Peyton = $19.2m per year, $58m guaranteed

Cutler = $18.1m per year, $54m guaranteed

Romo = $18.0m per year, $55m guaranteed

Stafford = $17.6m per year, $41.5m guaranteed

Brady = $11.4m per year, $57m guaranteed (lowered $21.8m salary for new guarantees)

Biggest loser is... Josh Freeman, who could have cashed in with a productive year.

And don't forget, Brady's salary is guaranteed for injury. That means, if he can't walk tomorrow, the team still has to pay him that money.

So, if i'm reading this correctly, most of these contracts are actually 3 year deals. Once many of these guys (except Brady) hit the 3rd year of their deal, then they can be cut with little or no Cap impact.

Is this correct, or is there some other penalty incurred if you cut the player once they make the guaranteed amount?
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
teams already started to figure out the chiefs towards the end of the season so that MIGHT carry on to next year..since they will be playing better teams by looking at their opponents and could go 8-8

The question is how long will Andy Reid's patience last?

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

What the heck does the bold part even mean? The KC offense clearly got better as the season progressed. How does this translate into opponents figuring them out?
Best thing the Cheifs can do. They have the perfect QB for that team and Alex went balls out vs IND. A QB that is a leader and will be a mentor/coach when it is time to find his replacement.

He has officially earned a top 10 paycheck.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 10, 2014 at 8:54 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Best thing the Cheifs can do. They have the perfect QB for that team and Alex went balls out vs IND. A QB that is a leader and will be a mentor/coach when it is time to find his replacement.

I think he's worth about 10th money. There are 20 something QB's worse than him for sure IMO.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
lol...7-9 season is in store for them.

PYMWYMI??? I'll certainly bet that the Chiefs will go .500+ next season. Let's say $50? Or are you just trolling?

Who are you and what did you do with the real Joecool?
Good for Alex.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Who are you and what did you do with the real Joecool?

hehe, yeah no kidding. But if he means this, then props to him for showing he can dig his heels out of the dirt and alter his viewpoint.

I don't know what their cap situation is BUT Alex proved he's the MAN at KC!

Pay him top 10 $$$
Good for Alex.. I have to admit, i watched the Chiefs this year just because of Alex.. Like the guy and wish him continued success.. Unless he plays us.. then he better know his role...

PYMWYMI??? I'll certainly bet that the Chiefs will go .500+ next season. Let's say $50? Or are you just trolling?

Jamaal Charles and the D will carry that team on it's back again.
[ Edited by DaDivaRecieva15 on Jan 10, 2014 at 10:24 AM ]
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

LOL..maybe. That D didn't look good for the past 6-7 games. And Jamaal is a total stud...he might be the 2nd or 3rd best HB in the game today.

I'm just not sure why you're off topic.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jan 10, 2014 at 10:29 AM ]
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

LOL..maybe. That D didn't look good for the past 6-7 games. And Jamaal is a total stud...he might be the 2nd or 3rd best HB in the game today.

I'm just not sure why you're off topic.

I am. Quite sure.
Share 49ersWebzone