There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Chiefs looking to extend Alex Smith

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
More then 10m ?

He's like almost making that now lol

I am not the one that said "I would like to see him manage that." but this time I talking about 8 and 8
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jan 10, 2014 at 9:16 AM ]
So did he get extended yet
All of it just a mirror image of 2011 except that he lost a close playoff game instead of winning one

teams already started to figure out the chiefs towards the end of the season so that MIGHT carry on to next year..since they will be playing better teams by looking at their opponents and could go 8-8

The question is how long will Andy Reid's patience last?

Of course all of its opinion and do not wish it to happen

They'll go 8-8 if their second half defense shows up. Often times we tend to blame high scoring teams for making the defense worse, but those losses to SD, DEN, and INDY part 2 were all on the defense. It's not like Alex threw for 400 yards in hurry up in those games.

If not, I think they win 10 or 11 games more on balance of Offense/Defense coupled with a better schedule.

They'll be like us last year.....worse record, but better team. Add another solid weapon on offense and shore up that secondary, and they could be a legit contender next season. That offense with an NFC West defense would be in the AFC championship game at a bare minimum.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Jan 9, 2014 at 8:58 PM ]
  • vaden
  • Veteran
KC 2014 opponents:

Home:
Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Tennessee Titans, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks
Away:
Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Pittsburgh Steelers, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers

A lot will change but it looks to me like a very tough schedule. NFC West could very well have 4 of the NFL's best 10 teams next year, and I expect the Steelers to bounce back strong.
Originally posted by vaden:
KC 2014 opponents:

Home:
Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Tennessee Titans, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks
Away:
Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Pittsburgh Steelers, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers

A lot will change but it looks to me like a very tough schedule. NFC West could very well have 4 of the NFL's best 10 teams next year, and I expect the Steelers to bounce back strong.

lol...7-9 season is in store for them.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
All of it just a mirror image of 2011 except that he lost a close playoff game instead of winning one

teams already started to figure out the chiefs towards the end of the season so that MIGHT carry on to next year..since they will be playing better teams by looking at their opponents and could go 8-8

Another betting opportunity...

Indeed. If anything I'd wager that their deficiencies on defense will have a lot more to do with losses next year than their offense.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I expect Alex to do just fine under Reid. They have another offseason together and I expect they will keep winning ball games. Good for Alex!

Yep, good for him... and I'm also glad extending him is now KC's problem. Not much of a problem though, definitely better than the QB problems that other teams have such as Minnesota and Jacksonville.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
He probably will get more then 3 yrs..but i don't think he will be starting for the chiefs towards the end of that contract

Reid picked up Smith to be stop gap QB

Link?

Give me the link where he says that he is their Franchise QB ?

C'mon..you don't need the exact words out Reids mouth to see that Reid followed Harbaugh that AS is perfect temporary solution

your bluff was called...fact is if you went and looked for a link you would find that reid coveted smith for years....the more smith outplays the niers current qb the more hateful you get
Originally posted by spizzy:
LOL Alex isn't their franchise QB? He was traded for 2 2nd round picks. That's a big investment. And that was before he turned a 2-14 team to 11-5. GTFO

13-3 season Unrestricted Free Agent - Phone doesn't ring the whole off season..maybe it was on silent

and the niners tried to trade kaeprnick to the eagles..teams make mistakes and underevaluate players...

and you know smith didnt market himself on the free agent market as it was assumed by him and the team that hed resign after a great season
[ Edited by hofer36 on Jan 9, 2014 at 11:42 PM ]
KC 2014 opponents:

Home:
Away:

they would have him come back to San Francisco for a game.

I ain't trying to see that game...it's going to be too awkward.

edit- oops I forget it's Santa Clara now
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jan 9, 2014 at 11:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
KC 2014 opponents:

Home:
Away:

they would have him come back to San Francisco for a game.

I ain't trying to see that game...it's going to be too awkward.

edit- oops I forget it's Santa Clara now

I'll be wearing my Alex Smith #11 49er jersey.
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
His numbers could take a jump next year as well...not only did they open up the passing game towards the end of the year, but Alex was missing his favorite target the whole season. Not a particular guy, but Smith LOVES throwing to TEs. He and VD had great chemistry and he would often look to throw to the TE this year...problem was, they were playing their 3rd TE (McGrath) most of the year. Even Fasano (2nd TE) isn't very good as a weapon. But if Kelce plays all year (or they pick up a different weapon at TE) - could be big for Smith. Adding a Talented WR in the draft is likely a priority for them as well, seeing as how their #2 receiver is a multiple-time castoff and their #3 is even worse.

At this point, I think Smith is probably the 10th best QB in the league, and while he won't get paid like it...he'll get paid.

would have been iteresting to have seen chiefs pick up tony gonzalez at the trading deadline
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by socalniner:
Giving up two second round picks doesn't sound like he's just there as a stop gap.

his stats and the win loss record does not indicate he is there for just a stop gap measure,, i will await the " it was the run game and defense" blather

It doesn't appear that KC thinks of Smith as a stop-gap. There are no indications of it. The reason why some of us thought so while he was here in SF because we went after Hassebeck, Manning and drafted Kap, who was even plugged into the middle of close games in redzone situations. We even let Smith test the free agent market.

But none of that appears to be true in KC. Especially when you consider they traded for him and the fact that Smith had a good season and turned there season around. To top is all off, he ended with a great playoff game. You don't trade two high draft picks if you think he's stop-gap.

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Jason Cole, who broke the initial news, guessed on 610 The Drive radio show in KC that Alex's new deal is "6 years, 17 or 17.5 million a year". This quoted figure is lower than the recent QB contract extensions:

Rodgers = $22.0m per year, $54m guaranteed

Ryan = $20.75m per year, $59m guaranteed

Flacco = $20.1m per year, $52m guaranteed

Brees = $20.0m per year, $60m guaranteed

Peyton = $19.2m per year, $58m guaranteed

Cutler = $18.1m per year, $54m guaranteed

Romo = $18.0m per year, $55m guaranteed

Stafford = $17.6m per year, $41.5m guaranteed

Brady = $11.4m per year, $57m guaranteed (lowered $21.8m salary for new guarantees)

Biggest loser is... Josh Freeman, who could have cashed in with a productive year.