LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 151 users in the forums

Chiefs looking to extend Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Alex's last 7 games.

1772 yards, 252 ypg,104.3 rating, 18 td's, 3 int's, 223 yards rushing @31yards per

Career Playoffs (3 games)
873 yards, 291 ypg, 9 td's, 0 int's, 110.3 rating

Just by those numbers alone he deserves mid-to top tier money. Call him what you will, but those numbers stack up to almost anybody I'm guessing. Admittedly he has a losing record in both these stats I posted, but Alex played well and had his team in position to win on pretty much every occasion presented. Yeah, Colts blew him out, he could've played better in the NFCC, he could've made one more throw against Indy the second time around, but same could be said about every QB sitting on their butts right now and also the losing QB's in the weeks to come.

And I know, kind of cherry picking stats here, but really Alex(IMO) was actually playing a little behind how he played in 2011/12(game managing) I would say the first 7-9 weeks. Then he started throwing the ball down field a little more and connecting with Bowe and he started actually playing some of his best football. Dude still has plenty left in his tank, and there is nothing really glaring that would lead you to believe that he can't continue to expand his game even more. He has improved every single year, in every single statistical category, since his rookie season. He's just started to reach his prime(finally).

15-18 seems about fair to me. Wouldn't be surprised to see it go bigger though. At the same time also wouldn't be surprised to see Alex settle for a "fair" deal at around 13-15 with a bunch up front.

The Chiefs did on offense in the second half of the season what I thought we would do in the second half in 2011. With their group of receivers playing together in throughout the year, they were able to be very good in the passing game with Smith, Bowe, Fasano, Avery, McCluster, and a few others here and there. You can see the result of it when Charles went down early in the game. Smith and Company were able to be more than sustainable and very competitive against the Colts

Unfortunately, it never really materialized to that degree for us in 2011. Injuries killed it.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I could see him getting a $60-80 million contract easily, which would put him in the neighborhood of $10-13 mil annually. That's the going rate for established QBs in the NFL. The question is how much guaranteed $$$ he gets.

no way he gets a 6-8 year contract..thats Salary cap death

3 to 5 years tops

I could see him getting a 6-year deal at the most. 7 or 8 would be pushing it obviously. It's really only salary cap death if there is a ton of guaranteed money involved, if not, you could always cut ties without a huge financial burden. He's definitely going to get more than a 3 year deal IMO.

He probably will get more then 3 yrs..but i don't think he will be starting for the chiefs towards the end of that contract

Reid picked up Smith to be stop gap QB
just your opinion or do you have proof of this? the guy leads a 10000 per cent turnaround and they get into the playoffs and he is still a stop gap measure . sure hopes will be higher for the chiefs next year now that they have had that success but it seems like a few could not wait for thier season to get over so they can breathlessly start throwing alex under the bus,, for no reason in my opinion

this! alex only threw 4 tds that game! oh and 58 rushing... yeah a real game manager, some people here hate on alex for no reason. seems like he is doing alot better then alot of us so called "experts"

i wish alex nothing but continued success in KC
Go for the gusto and get that money Alex....ask for 10 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!

Originally posted by verb1der:

i would like to see him manage that !
loll
  • Jiks

Originally posted by socalniner:
Giving up two second round picks doesn't sound like he's just there as a stop gap.

his stats and the win loss record does not indicate he is there for just a stop gap measure,, i will await the " it was the run game and defense" blather

It doesn't appear that KC thinks of Smith as a stop-gap. There are no indications of it. The reason why some of us thought so while he was here in SF because we went after Hassebeck, Manning and drafted Kap, who was even plugged into the middle of close games in redzone situations. We even let Smith test the free agent market.

But none of that appears to be true in KC. Especially when you consider they traded for him and the fact that Smith had a good season and turned there season around. To top is all off, he ended with a great playoff game. You don't trade two high draft picks if you think he's stop-gap.
Alex deserves it. Kid never gave up, no matter what the critics were saying. Very proud/happy for him !

More wager opportunities? I think Alex will get more than 10 million. I can't bet name rights if Sus agrees.
Speaking of which...Sus...where you at, bro? You want to bet or you want to back down?

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by socalniner:
Giving up two second round picks doesn't sound like he's just there as a stop gap.

his stats and the win loss record does not indicate he is there for just a stop gap measure,, i will await the " it was the run game and defense" blather

It doesn't appear that KC thinks of Smith as a stop-gap. There are no indications of it. The reason why some of us thought so while he was here in SF because we went after Hassebeck, Manning and drafted Kap, who was even plugged into the middle of close games in redzone situations. We even let Smith test the free agent market.

But none of that appears to be true in KC. Especially when you consider they traded for him and the fact that Smith had a good season and turned there season around. To top is all off, he ended with a great playoff game. You don't trade two high draft picks if you think he's stop-gap.

All of it just a mirror image of 2011 except that he lost a close playoff game instead of winning one

teams already started to figure out the chiefs towards the end of the season so that MIGHT carry on to next year..since they will be playing better teams by looking at their opponents and could go 8-8

The question is how long will Andy Reid's patience last?

Of course all of its opinion and do not wish it to happen
All of it just a mirror image of 2011 except that he lost a close playoff game instead of winning one

teams already started to figure out the chiefs towards the end of the season so that MIGHT carry on to next year..since they will be playing better teams by looking at their opponents and could go 8-8

Another betting opportunity...
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Another betting opportunity...

More then 10m ?

He's like almost making that now lol
The chiefs are about to enter the friend zone of the NFL. They will be just good enough to not really do anything. Godspeed Kansas City! new home of the great Alex Smith.
His numbers could take a jump next year as well...not only did they open up the passing game towards the end of the year, but Alex was missing his favorite target the whole season. Not a particular guy, but Smith LOVES throwing to TEs. He and VD had great chemistry and he would often look to throw to the TE this year...problem was, they were playing their 3rd TE (McGrath) most of the year. Even Fasano (2nd TE) isn't very good as a weapon. But if Kelce plays all year (or they pick up a different weapon at TE) - could be big for Smith. Adding a Talented WR in the draft is likely a priority for them as well, seeing as how their #2 receiver is a multiple-time castoff and their #3 is even worse.

At this point, I think Smith is probably the 10th best QB in the league, and while he won't get paid like it...he'll get paid.
[ Edited by DarkKnight1680 on Jan 9, 2014 at 8:02 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone