There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Chiefs looking to extend Alex Smith

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
May the feels be with you

may the ban hammer strike you swiftly and painlessly.

Sure lulz

soon....
He's young enough to justify a 5-6 year extension.
5 years, $80 million, $35 million guaranteed. Book it.
Given what the Chiefs just paid Dwayne Bowe ($11MILLION/YR) it is clear the Chiefs are not trying to low ball the best players.

Also, QBs in the same general range of Smith are getting $15MILLION/YR if not more. Stafford, Schaub and Eli are $15.5-17 and I would rather have Smith than any of them. So I expect him to get $15+MILLION/YR. Smith should easily be able to play another 5-6 years at a similar level.

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=QB
Originally posted by dj43:
Given what the Chiefs just paid Dwayne Bowe ($11MILLION/YR) it is clear the Chiefs are not trying to low ball the best players.

Also, QBs in the same general range of Smith are getting $15MILLION/YR if not more. Stafford, Schaub and Eli are $15.5-17 and I would rather have Smith than any of them. So I expect him to get $15+MILLION/YR. Smith should easily be able to play another 5-6 years at a similar level.

Great post. Although after thinking about it a little bit, maybe he gives the Chiefs a discount? He's always been a team player, and he knows the more salary he gets, the less there is to go around. Especially to that porous defense (man they need help). I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a 4-5 year, $50 mil to $60 mil deal.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by dj43:

Great post. Although after thinking about it a little bit, maybe he gives the Chiefs a discount? He's always been a team player, and he knows the more salary he gets, the less there is to go around. Especially to that porous defense (man they need help). I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a 4-5 year, $50 mil to $60 mil deal.

This is what I am thinking, too... Lower end of the spectrum. Plus, dude is still YOUNG, so more that 4 years would not surprise me.
Albert Breers is saying 5 years $90million with 54 guaranteed.

Niners gave him 16.5mil guaranteed in 2012. More than tripled He certainly played himself into that money
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 9, 2014 at 2:11 PM ]

As in done deal, or as in that's what he anticipates based on market factors.
His estimate as to what will happen. Now way it's done this soon.

That's too much. He might be "worth" that in terms of the market, but these QB contracts are getting out of hand and ruining the balance of these teams. I hope it's not this much, for the team's sake anyway.
Originally posted by Furlow:

That's too much. He might be "worth" that in terms of the market, but these QB contracts are getting out of hand and ruining the balance of these teams. I hope it's not this much, for the team's sake anyway.

Actually if you take 54/5 it's 10.8 million a year. He's worth more. He could possibly get 15-18 based upon the market..but that would be a "team player" type contract for Alex with a long term commitment he's looking for.
I and others are of the opinion that this 2013 was his best season, not just because of the most TD passes but because it seems he did more with less....

And when the 9-0 run had 2011 game manager written all over it by the media, he proceeds to ball out in most of the losses that came after that.

That first Denver game wasn't good, but SD/DEN at home/INDY game was Smith like we haven't seen a lot, maybe ever. He did something that was absent most of last season, and that is when the bigger games showed up on the schedule he was more aggressive down the field. In the biggest game of the season, he finally made Dwayne Bowe show up on the stat sheet.

I really think the Reid marriage is perfect for him. Harbaugh resurrected Smith, and Reid is taking him to the next level.

If only their defense showed up in those last 7 games, they would have been #1 seed.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Should get at least 13M a year. He has been damn good for couple seasons now.
[ Edited by 4ML on Jan 9, 2014 at 2:56 PM ]
Alex's last 7 games.

1772 yards, 252 ypg,104.3 rating, 18 td's, 3 int's, 223 yards rushing @31yards per

Career Playoffs (3 games)
873 yards, 291 ypg, 9 td's, 0 int's, 110.3 rating

Just by those numbers alone he deserves mid-to top tier money. Call him what you will, but those numbers stack up to almost anybody I'm guessing. Admittedly he has a losing record in both these stats I posted, but Alex played well and had his team in position to win on pretty much every occasion presented. Yeah, Colts blew him out, he could've played better in the NFCC, he could've made one more throw against Indy the second time around, but same could be said about every QB sitting on their butts right now and also the losing QB's in the weeks to come.

And I know, kind of cherry picking stats here, but really Alex(IMO) was actually playing a little behind how he played in 2011/12(game managing) I would say the first 7-9 weeks. Then he started throwing the ball down field a little more and connecting with Bowe and he started actually playing some of his best football. Dude still has plenty left in his tank, and there is nothing really glaring that would lead you to believe that he can't continue to expand his game even more. He has improved every single year, in every single statistical category, since his rookie season. He's just started to reach his prime(finally).

15-18 seems about fair to me. Wouldn't be surprised to see it go bigger though. At the same time also wouldn't be surprised to see Alex settle for a "fair" deal at around 13-15 with a bunch up front.