There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Chiefs looking to extend Alex Smith

Smith will probably get 10-13 mil a year range. I doubt he gets any less. Too many other qb's getting that kind of salary.
Originally posted by fister30:
Smith will probably get 10-13 mil a year range. I doubt he gets any less. Too many other qb's getting that kind of salary.

and hes better than most of them. if romo, stafford and flacco get what they get smith is in for a huge payday as well
  • slip
Chiefs can have him. We have the Kapster.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I could see him getting a $60-80 million contract easily, which would put him in the neighborhood of $10-13 mil annually. That's the going rate for established QBs in the NFL. The question is how much guaranteed $$$ he gets.

no way he gets a 6-8 year contract..thats Salary cap death

3 to 5 years tops

I could see him getting a 6-year deal at the most. 7 or 8 would be pushing it obviously. It's really only salary cap death if there is a ton of guaranteed money involved, if not, you could always cut ties without a huge financial burden. He's definitely going to get more than a 3 year deal IMO.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 9, 2014 at 12:56 AM ]
It's the right move for the Chiefs IMO. And it's good for Alex too. Good for him.
Good for Alex. He had a VERY good year and he deserves some loot based on what some of his peers are making.
They gonna offer him a three year deal and find a real franchise qb in that time frame.

#bookit
good for him, happy for the guy
Good for him, they should also fire their DC.
Originally posted by susweel:
They gonna offer him a three year deal and find a real franchise qb in that time frame.

#bookit

PYMWYMI I bet the deal is more than 3 years.
Smith gave Andy Reid the big game performance McNabb and Vick were never able to do. Based on what other top 10 QBs are making, he should get something in the $17+million range for 5-6 years. However, based on Smith's past willingness to take less than market value in order for the team to sign other important players, and the fact he has already pocketed something north of $30MILLION in the past, it would not surprise me to see him accept a $13-15MILLION/yr deal for 5 years and an option plus incentives.

Except for an unheard of number of key injuries in a single game, Smith played well enough to be playing again this Sunday. From Clark Hunt on down, the Chiefs realize how close they are and are not going to hard ball Smith into a low number that would send a disturbing message to other young Chief players that will be coming up for new contracts in the next year or two.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

#bookit

Name your price ?
Figured they would extend him, but I would be a little disappointed if Alex signs a huge deal. Give him a few guaranteed years for sure, but I do hope he takes it easy on the KC salary cap. He's already got the money, and is obviously smart enough to know that taking more means KC can add or keep less quality talent around him. He's always been about winning, so taking a huge chunk from the salary cap will only lessen their overall team talent (derp).
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's the right move for the Chiefs IMO. And it's good for Alex too. Good for him.

agree.. he is a good face of that team not to mention a very good quarterback for them.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

#bookit

Name your price ?

Loser gets his name changed, Sus.

We will auction off the rights to who gets to pick your new name and finance the zone for the next decade.