There are 167 users in the forums

Chiefs looking to extend Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jersey49er:
i like Alex and he was a true 49er and went thru a lot here and still stayed classy but the thing with him is if you shut down the underneath passes he is not accurate enough to throw the ball over the top..

How'd that work out VS AZ in Alex's last full game as the starting 9er QB?
When will the obsession w Alex end?
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
When will the obsession w Alex end?

Why do people post in an NFL topic thread specifically about Alex if they don't want to talk about Alex?
Originally posted by Jakemall:
i like Alex and he was a true 49er and went thru a lot here and still stayed classy but the thing with him is if you shut down the underneath passes he is not accurate enough to throw the ball over the top..

you could say it got him traded ?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Jakemall:

you could say it got him traded ?

You could say that it made him more desirable...so yes...it did help give value to the trade...and thus got him traded...if he had no value, he'd have been released.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 12, 2014 at 1:49 PM ]

Not sure why people think this... must be that adorable eye-test? Alex was 8th best last season in deep pass accuracy %... This is also considering he had the 6th most dropped deep passes that affected this %.

Kaep was tied for 11th best, FWIW.

• dj43
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
LMAO this guy is gonna make the type of money (in all of his career thus far) you usually see 4 star QBs make. I'm happy for his family.
What do you consider a 4 star QB? Who are some of those?

Romo
Flacco
Kap
Alex
Eli
Tannenhill(sp)
Dalton
Rivers
Foles
Newton

Bold are, the rest are one level down.

reported for inciting.

confession is good for the soul

Only in an Alex thread where you'll find Romo, Rivers, and Alex ranked higher than Kaep who has won more playoff games than probably all 3 combined, but hey.. if that makes you guys feel better. lol

It isn't about the number of games won, it is about the overall level of play. In just about every article you read, and throughout the Kaepernick thread here, the constant comment is about how he must improve his ability to read defenses, go through progressions and get the ball to the open receiver. You don't hear that criticism of Romo, Rivers and Smith. Yes, he has excellent athleticism and has made some highlight runs but that is not what a QB is primarily tasked to do. The arrow was flat for Kaepernick this season as far as his personal level of play. So while we are all excited about his potential, reality says he has not yet reached that potential. It is fair to say that this very talented team has carried Kaepernick as much or more than he has carried the team.

What you read is that Romo, while having committed some obvious mistakes, is still the reason Dallas is in many games anyway. Without him, the Cowboys are junk.

This year Rivers returned to Pro Bowl form with a great season. He has always had great command of the offense. Only Peyton Manning makes more adjustments at the LOS than Rivers. He was, along with a healthy Ryan Matthews, the reason the Chargers went as far as they did in the playoffs. He was the guy that made the difference.

Smith's story has been well-documented here.

Just face it man, all the QBs you listed are highly valuable to their respective teams, and their team will probably suck without them. However one thing you can't overlook is the years of experience the rest of those ^^^ guys (in bold) have over Kaep, and the fact that they've also had the chance to play on "talented" teams....and STILL they've failed to deliver in the post-season.

Sure Kaep is developing his progression skills, and he carried the team in the post-season by relying on his legs, but does that not count?! It's hilarious, you're not amazed.

I wonder what Kaep will be once he has put in the same years as Romo/Smith/Rivers.

Just think about that, and then you will realize how ridiculous the "bolded" are. lol
We all wonder the same thing and hope he is better than all three of them, in the meantime, his legs are his greatest asset, not his passing game. When his passing game reaches the same level as his running, then writers and fans will stop wondering about when he will fill in the mental parts of his game.

My comment is all about the PRESENT comparison, not what we hope will happen.
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
LMAO this guy is gonna make the type of money (in all of his career thus far) you usually see 4 star QBs make. I'm happy for his family.
What do you consider a 4 star QB? Who are some of those?

Romo
Flacco
Kap
Alex
Eli
Tannenhill(sp)
Dalton
Rivers
Foles
Newton

Bold are, the rest are one level down.

reported for inciting.

confession is good for the soul

Only in an Alex thread where you'll find Romo, Rivers, and Alex ranked higher than Kaep who has won more playoff games than probably all 3 combined, but hey.. if that makes you guys feel better. lol

It isn't about the number of games won, it is about the overall level of play. In just about every article you read, and throughout the Kaepernick thread here, the constant comment is about how he must improve his ability to read defenses, go through progressions and get the ball to the open receiver. You don't hear that criticism of Romo, Rivers and Smith. Yes, he has excellent athleticism and has made some highlight runs but that is not what a QB is primarily tasked to do. The arrow was flat for Kaepernick this season as far as his personal level of play. So while we are all excited about his potential, reality says he has not yet reached that potential. It is fair to say that this very talented team has carried Kaepernick as much or more than he has carried the team.

What you read is that Romo, while having committed some obvious mistakes, is still the reason Dallas is in many games anyway. Without him, the Cowboys are junk.

This year Rivers returned to Pro Bowl form with a great season. He has always had great command of the offense. Only Peyton Manning makes more adjustments at the LOS than Rivers. He was, along with a healthy Ryan Matthews, the reason the Chargers went as far as they did in the playoffs. He was the guy that made the difference.

Smith's story has been well-documented here.

Just face it man, all the QBs you listed are highly valuable to their respective teams, and their team will probably suck without them. However one thing you can't overlook is the years of experience the rest of those ^^^ guys (in bold) have over Kaep, and the fact that they've also had the chance to play on "talented" teams....and STILL they've failed to deliver in the post-season.

Sure Kaep is developing his progression skills, and he carried the team in the post-season by relying on his legs, but does that not count?! It's hilarious, you're not amazed.

I wonder what Kaep will be once he has put in the same years as Romo/Smith/Rivers.

Just think about that, and then you will realize how ridiculous the "bolded" are. lol
We all wonder the same thing and hope he is better than all three of them, in the meantime, his legs are his greatest asset, not his passing game. When his passing game reaches the same level as his running, then writers and fans will stop wondering about when he will fill in the mental parts of his game.

My comment is all about the PRESENT comparison, not what we hope will happen.

Ok then, let's talk about the present.

The path the Niners took in the playoffs this year, you think Smith/Romo/Rivers would have stood a chance had they faced the same road (@GB, @Carolina, @Seattle)??!??!!?!? I bet all 3 would've folded like a piece of paper (like they do every year).

JUST BECAUSE those 3 are more versed with going through their progressions you rank them above Kaep, and I find that laughable.

QB's imo, are measured by "signature wins" when it matters most, regardless of how they do it. And Kaep already has more signature wins than those three!
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Not sure why people think this... must be that adorable eye-test? Alex was 8th best last season in deep pass accuracy %... This is also considering he had the 6th most dropped deep passes that affected this %.

I always thought Smith had a very nice long pass. He used it more early on in his career with SF. I think people mistake the careful way in which he plays for an inability to throw the long one. He can throw long ones.

But, sigh.... why the need to stick the Kaepernick stuff in there with the smiley face? Why do you have to do that? What's the point of getting a dig in on Kaepernick in a thread about Smith?
Originally posted by crake49:

I always thought Smith had a very nice long pass. He used it more early on in his career with SF. I think people mistake the careful way in which he plays for an inability to throw the long one. He can throw long ones.

But, sigh.... why the need to stick the Kaepernick stuff in there with the smiley face? Why do you have to do that? What's the point of getting a dig in on Kaepernick in a thread about Smith?

Thought people always like to focus on how the two stack up. I meant no harm in that... because clearly... both have a pretty good deep pass %.

Thought people always like to focus on how the two stack up. I meant no harm in that... because clearly... both have a pretty good deep pass %.

% are so misleading, I can complete 1 deep pass and remain at 100% for the season. lol
Ok then, let's talk about the present.

The path the Niners took in the playoffs this year, you think Smith/Romo/Rivers would have stood a chance had they faced the same road (@GB, @Carolina, @Seattle)??!??!!?!? I bet all 3 would've folded like a piece of paper (like they do every year).

JUST BECAUSE those 3 are more versed with going through their progressions you rank them above Kaep, and I find that laughable.

QB's imo, are measured by "signature wins" when it matters most, regardless of how they do it. And Kaep already has more signature wins than those three!

Hypothetical question...Do I think the Chiefs would have done as well as the 9ers? Hell no. Do I think Alex would have done better than Kaep? No way to say for sure...but Alex did a lot of things this season that all the nay sayers said he couldn't do....again.

Kaep had a down year compared to last season.

Arrows up and down respectively.

% are so misleading, I can complete 1 deep pass and remain at 100% for the season. lol
retire after that then boom HOF

so you're suggesting that Alex didn't throw enough deep balls for his % to be statistically valid?

I'd rather not get into comparing because the two played on different teams with two completely different offensive systems, but if people really need or want to "focus on how the two stack up," the most meaningful comparison would be Smith's full season under Harbaugh in 2011 vs. Kaepernick's full season under Harbaugh in 2013. And if you make that comparison, it's pretty clear why Harbaugh wanted to go with Kaepernick. Without even taking into account the fact that the team had half the number of receivers with 15 or more receptions and faced top 6 defenses more than 50% of the time, Kaepernick ended up with more yardage, more TD's and the best performance by a Niner QB since the Jeff Garcia years. Smith is a real good QB, but Kaepernick is better - he's got a more aggressive mindset, a better arm, he's faster, he's younger and he's got a lot more upside for the future. Harbaugh knows what he's doing.
Share 49ersWebzone