Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Chiefs looking to extend Alex Smith

• dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by socalniner:
Giving up two second round picks doesn't sound like he's just there as a stop gap.

his stats and the win loss record does not indicate he is there for just a stop gap measure,, i will await the " it was the run game and defense" blather

It doesn't appear that KC thinks of Smith as a stop-gap. There are no indications of it. The reason why some of us thought so while he was here in SF because we went after Hassebeck, Manning and drafted Kap, who was even plugged into the middle of close games in redzone situations. We even let Smith test the free agent market.

But none of that appears to be true in KC. Especially when you consider they traded for him and the fact that Smith had a good season and turned there season around. To top is all off, he ended with a great playoff game. You don't trade two high draft picks if you think he's stop-gap.

Good post. Smith's performance validated Reid's confidence in him and the two 2nd round picks they gave up for a top 10 QB look like a steal now after the season he had and the show he put on in Indy. Though two 2nd round picks are not chicken feed, they were enough to show that Reid thought highly of him. Also compared to what other teams have paid for a starting QB in recent years, KC did get a steal.

It will be interesting to see what KC does in terms of providing more depth on defense (starters are very good when healthy) and more depth at WR. TE Travis Kelce was highly rated coming out of college but was never healthy enough to play. If he comes back fully healthy and the Chiefs can add a WR, that offense can go up against just about anything in the league. No stop-gap there.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Just looked at KC's cap situation. They are in pretty good shape for next year. They are roughly $8MILLION under the cap now. Also have some big numbers in dead money that will come off in the next year. Between Matt Cassel, Eric Winston, Glen Dorsey, Steve Breaston and Kevin Boss, they will pick up another $13MILLION in cap room. With $21MILLION coming off the cap, plus whatever the league actually increases it, KC can easily add $8MILLION to the $9.3MILLION he made this season, thereby putting him in Matthew Stafford range and still have $13+MILLION to sign/extend others. No reason to believe Alex Smith will not get paid like a top 10 QB.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I'm no fortune teller...so if they do better great..if they don't oh well.

I'm just saying will Reid have patience if Sht hits the fan

So what you're saying is that you don't really believe that the Chiefs will go 8-8 like you just mentioned and that you don't believe that Alex will struggle to get a 10 million a year contract like your posts suggest.

Then why say it unless your sole intent is to be a troll? And if you are, why don't you just come clean?

It's a 32-1 chance I pick the right w-L record. And he is already almost making ten mill so when you say more then ..well of course it is. I posted the manage part because of all the game manger talk with drum roll joke smiley.

Your trolling as much as anyone about how good he is when he's just above average.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Best thing the Cheifs can do. They have the perfect QB for that team and Alex went balls out vs IND. A QB that is a leader and will be a mentor/coach when it is time to find his replacement.

He has officially earned a top 10 paycheck.

Who are you and what did you do with the real Joecool?

hehe, yeah no kidding. But if he means this, then props to him for showing he can dig his heels out of the dirt and alter his viewpoint.

Alex really manned up in his first road playoff game considering he lost weapons.

So what you're saying is that you don't really believe that the Chiefs will go 8-8 like you just mentioned and that you don't believe that Alex will struggle to get a 10 million a year contract like your posts suggest.

Then why say it unless your sole intent is to be a troll? And if you are, why don't you just come clean?

It's a 32-1 chance I pick the right w-L record. And he is already almost making ten mill so when you say more then ..well of course it is. I posted the manage part because of all the game manger talk with drum roll joke smiley.

Your trolling as much as anyone about how good he is when he's just above average.

I'm not trolling since I honestly believe he's around a top 10 QB in that 8-12 range.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jan 10, 2014 at 8:05 PM ]

I'm not trolling since I honestly believe he's around a top 10 QB in that 8-12 range.

In his current form I would peg him as a top 10.

I'd put him over Romo, Rivers, E. Manning.....

See..you said around ...

For 9 yr vet with a handful of good games. 3 playoff appearances 2 being losses, needs a great team around him, not even a Probowl alternate..expect to get paid?

i know you guys really think highly of him and deserves to be the highest paid QB..but I don't see it. Maybe he get 2-3 mill more then what he make..I might be wrong but not far off

See..you said around ...

For 9 yr vet with a handful of good games. 3 playoff appearances 2 being losses, needs a great team around him, not even a Probowl alternate..expect to get paid?

i know you guys really think highly of him and deserves to be the highest paid QB..but I don't see it. Maybe he get 2-3 mill more then what he make..I might be wrong but not far off

I don't think anyone here said THE HIGHEST paid.
See..you said around ...

HE probably gets like 10 million a year, which seems absurd. Oh well, good for Alex. He has made the best of being a so-so QB and will likely make a crapton of money doing it.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Here are the QBs and their Average Per Year salaries (in million$) that earned more than Smith this year. Underlined are the ones I consider better than Smith.

Rodgers - $22

Ryan - $21

Flacco - $20

Brees - $20

P. Manning - $19

Cutler - $18

Romo - $18

Stafford - $18

E. Manning - $16

Schaub - $16

Rivers - $15

Roethlisberger - $15

Sanchez - $13

Bradford - $13

Brady - $11

Smith - $9

Based on these numbers, why should Smith not be worth Stafford/Romo numbers? ($18MILLION)
I would switch Roethlisberger and Matt Ryan, but otherwise, i can deal
See..you said around ...

Around...yes...in that 8-12 range is "Around". I think it's hard to really peg any one QB in that area because a good or bad season would raise or drop a guy. There's really only 3-4 elite guys and everyone else is the next tier or below. Alex is in that next tier. If he looks like he did for the last 4 or 5 games of this season and I'd argue that he's in that 5-10 range. I need to see him do that first.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Best thing the Cheifs can do. They have the perfect QB for that team and Alex went balls out vs IND. A QB that is a leader and will be a mentor/coach when it is time to find his replacement.

He has officially earned a top 10 paycheck.

what have you down with real joe cool
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
He probably will get more then 3 yrs..but i don't think he will be starting for the chiefs towards the end of that contract

Reid picked up Smith to be stop gap QB

Link?

Give me the link where he says that he is their Franchise QB ?

C'mon..you don't need the exact words out Reids mouth to see that Reid followed Harbaugh that AS is perfect temporary solution

your bluff was called...fact is if you went and looked for a link you would find that reid coveted smith for years....the more smith outplays the niers current qb the more hateful you get
what bluff...Reid Conveyed smith for years..but didn't pick him up as a UFA or even call to kick the tires?

Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by spizzy:
LOL Alex isn't their franchise QB? He was traded for 2 2nd round picks. That's a big investment. And that was before he turned a 2-14 team to 11-5. GTFO

13-3 season Unrestricted Free Agent - Phone doesn't ring the whole off season..maybe it was on silent

and the niners tried to trade kaeprnick to the eagles..teams make mistakes and underevaluate players...

and you know smith didnt market himself on the free agent market as it was assumed by him and the team that hed resign after a great season
AS didn't market himself but he jumped on a plane to Miami ?

all i'm saying that I don't think the extension will be that long

he jumped on the plane to miami 3-4 weeks into free agency
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by socalniner:
Giving up two second round picks doesn't sound like he's just there as a stop gap.

his stats and the win loss record does not indicate he is there for just a stop gap measure,, i will await the " it was the run game and defense" blather

It doesn't appear that KC thinks of Smith as a stop-gap. There are no indications of it. The reason why some of us thought so while he was here in SF because we went after Hassebeck, Manning and drafted Kap, who was even plugged into the middle of close games in redzone situations. We even let Smith test the free agent market.

But none of that appears to be true in KC. Especially when you consider they traded for him and the fact that Smith had a good season and turned there season around. To top is all off, he ended with a great playoff game. You don't trade two high draft picks if you think he's stop-gap.

Good post. Smith's performance validated Reid's confidence in him and the two 2nd round picks they gave up for a top 10 QB look like a steal now after the season he had and the show he put on in Indy. Though two 2nd round picks are not chicken feed, they were enough to show that Reid thought highly of him. Also compared to what other teams have paid for a starting QB in recent years, KC did get a steal.

It wiinteresting to see what KC does in terms of providing more depth on defense (starters are very good when healthy) and more depth at WR. TE Travis Kelce was highly rated coming out of college but was never healthy enough to play. If he comes back fully healthy and the Chiefs can add a WR, that offense can go up against just about anything in the leaguell be . No stop-gap there.

if still on the board, jace amaro would be agreat pick for the chiefs...also, the ebron kid from UNC