There are 180 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jerry Jones wants more playoff teams.

i thought it was hilarious in an interview where he said that if he hired a GM, the personnel decisions would still go though him anyways.

kinda missing the point there jerry.......
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
i thought it was hilarious in an interview where he said that if he hired a GM, the personnel decisions would still go though him anyways.

He does have a point he does sign the checks. He wants total control so he can say "I am a football god". That's why he won't fire Garrett. He is so afraid another team will pick him up and win. He doesn't want another team to benefit from his efforts to groom a coach.

Too much ego.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Yeah, that's way it should be, tired of crap teams getting the right to host, winning a division anymore is just a pissing contest, no more than it actually matters within the entire NFC picture (it just rewards mediocrity). -If the Saints had hosted the 7-9 Hawks in 2010, NO would probably have two trophies (Packers would have likely had to go through NO instead of Chicago to face the Steelers in a dome Superbowl).

i disagree. i like it the way it is. this year it is a knock to us, but in the next few years our division will be so strong i am not sure any team will be able to win 11 games. and it would reward teams who have a weak division like the saints.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I bet he's against tax increases for the wealthy though
I would like to see it go to 14 playoff teams. People forget that it was once 12 playoff teams for a 28 team league from 1990-1994 and it was not "watered down". It's been 12 for a 32 team league for a decade now. 12/28 = 42%, 14/32 = 44%. So, basically the same amount of ratio of teams make it.

And while the divisions have historical value, they've become less and less important with the 32-team 8-division balanced schedule, because strength of schedule has so little to do with the prior year as compared to before the 2002 installed format. After all, only TWO GAMES are decided by the previous season. So make the divisions a matter of scheduling purpose only and not a determining factor for playoff assurity.

Then, of course, with 14 teams you go 1-7 in each conference. How would that look this year?

NFC: BYE - #1 Seahawks (13-3)

#7 Packers (8-7-1) @ #2 Panthers (12-4)
#6 Cardinals (10-6) @ #3 49ers (12-4)
#5 Eagles (10-6) @ #4 Saints (11-5)

AFC: BYE - #1 Broncos (13-3)

#7 Steelers (8-8) @ #2 Patriots (12-4)
#6 Chargers (9-7) @ #3 Bengals (11-5)
#5 Chiefs (11-5) @ #4 Colts (11-5)

That just seems far more equal to me.
[ Edited by captveg on Jan 4, 2014 at 10:36 PM ]
I guess that would give him a better chance to get in.....
Hmm, the owner of the most choke-prone team in the league wants to see the playoffs expanded?

Color me shocked.

I think he fails to realize though, that handing Romo a playoff game doesn't mean he's going to win it. I bet within five years he'll be lobbying for teams that are eliminated from playoff contention in week 17 should be entitled to a do- over.

You know, "for the good of the game."
[ Edited by baltien on Jan 6, 2014 at 11:21 AM ]
what's funny is if there were two more teams in the NFC playoffs this year the cowboys still don't make it in.

Arizona (better record)
Bears (head to head win vs Dallas)

So I guess there needs to be four more teams.
LOL I'm sure he does. I hope nobody in the competition committee listens to this clown. He's incapable of making good decisions for his own team, so it stands to reason he's unqualified to make decisions that effect the entire league.

More playoff teams means a bunch of 8-8 and 7-9 teams getting in, which would suck. 12 out of 32 perfect. Best playoff format in sports.

He should go buy a hand puppet. Then he'd have one less salary on the payroll.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Yeah, that's way it should be, tired of crap teams getting the right to host, winning a division anymore is just a pissing contest, no more than it actually matters within the entire NFC picture (it just rewards mediocrity). -If the Saints had hosted the 7-9 Hawks in 2010, NO would probably have two trophies (Packers would have likely had to go through NO instead of Chicago to face the Steelers in a dome Superbowl).

i disagree. i like it the way it is. this year it is a knock to us, but in the next few years our division will be so strong i am not sure any team will be able to win 11 games. and it would reward teams who have a weak division like the saints.

think you mean all AFC divisions outside the west................................
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Hilarious coming from him, but I've said this for a long time. It's patently absurd for 10-6/11-5 teams to miss the playoffs while 7-9/8-8 teams get in just because they were in a crappy division. As long as the NFL has that silly system, they might as well expand to 14 teams. I'd prefer to keep it at 12 and seed purely by W/L record, but that's another convo.
That'd be the only way they'd get into the playoffs.
Originally posted by vaden:
Hilarious coming from him, but I've said this for a long time. It's patently absurd for 10-6/11-5 teams to miss the playoffs while 7-9/8-8 teams get in just because they were in a crappy division. As long as the NFL has that silly system, they might as well expand to 14 teams. I'd prefer to keep it at 12 and seed purely by W/L record, but that's another convo.

Then...what is the point of having divisions? They may as well get rid of them if division winners aren't guaranteed playoff spot.
Originally posted by vaden:

then why have divisions? if you win your division you've got to be in the playoffs.