There are 122 users in the forums

Larry Fitzgerald not open to paycut

Shop 49ers game tickets
No WR is worth that much money. But I wouldn't blame him for wanting the full value of his back loaded deal. He is consistently very good and is their only real offensive threat. Their offense is built around him.

I would expect them to restructure his deal. He still has 4-5 years left I'd say.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by English:
$21m!!

Ridiculous.

That's enough to feed a small country lmao! It's amazing how rich a single person can get, wtf do u do with all that friggin money?

Give a percentage to your agent, and A LOT of it to the government. And remember, you are only in the league making that kind of money for a few short years, not like you're working until 60. Plus you have the added benefit of having a boatload of receivers right behind you waiting to take your spot. Just have to be real smart with your money, and not act/spend it like it's a never-ending income.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
i dont blame fitz...he earned that money.

That ain't no lie.

Wish we had the cap room to even consider going after him.
So that is why the 49ers competed all through the 1990s until it finally caught up with them, Young, Rice, and other stars were always re-doing their deals to make sure they could keep a lot of other talent on the team. SMART.

From my understanding a few years ago, AZ screwed themselves by back loading huge salaries into Fitz contract that are essentially GUARANTEED. He has all the leverage in negotiations - they have to pay him or he leaves, and if he leaves they STILL have to pay him. But Fitz point is that it was AZs decision to backload his contract an pay him later - he did his part by being a top receiver in the league, now they owe him the money.

They already had to let Boldin go to keep Fitz, which ultimately hurt Fitz production as well.

You have to wonder though - if Fitz wanted to win, which of course he does, you would think he would show some flexibility. The only reason for him to be inflexible is if he doesn't really like the team and thinks it won't win anyway even if he takes a pay cut. THAT is the most telling part to me.
Hate to mention it, but arguably, our best player, Anquan Boldin, still has to finish the season, and then win another SB, but the first here in way more than a decade. Should he do that, and his play sure suggests it, we may very well have our own contract problem with Monsieur Boldin. A lot depends on how well we do in the next 4 games, assuming all goes well. If we win out, it will be in great part due to Anquan not just in the playoffs but also all yr, doubled and all that jazz. Win it all or lose:

1.What is Anquan worth?
2.What is he worth to SF?
3.What is trent willing(more likely able) to pay?

1.I'd say the answer to the first one is plenty, being way better than vince Jackson( a great player) plus I forget the other overpaid WR this yr. Boldin outplayed them both...and with a much less experienced QB , OC and HC. So his worth is probably off the charts at $12-$15mil per

2.Anquan's worth here is the sticky part. We have other guys in pipeline(courtesy of trent, JH) and certainly we can field a very good team next yr, but nowhere near as good as with Anquan. So let's say $12 mil, altho I don't know how we come up with that kind of $$.

3.Let's say Trent offers $10 mil. IMO, he is worth more to this team, but trent has been really careful about balancing the payroll. It has allowed us to keep way more talented guys than other teams can. But that is coming to an end.
The intangibles are that Boldin could have stayed with the SB winner, but maybe he saw the wholesale housecleaning and wanted to win another SB. Also, he knew they wouldn't meet his contract demands. Bingo, SF here he comes. Now hopefully we are closing in on that similar situation in 4 more games. What would Trent do? My guess is the financially sound thing and not re-sign him...BUT...at the Cards and also Ravens, Anquan didn't get the pass chances he did here. Would that affect his desire to stay on but at a number that is in keeping with Trent's balanced payroll? Maybe. But trent's number may not enough. Whatever happens, it has been one helluva ride with Anquan. We would all love to see him stay here. Maybe AB has a plan to do so, and if so, would love to see it.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jan 2, 2014 at 9:27 AM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Hate to mention it, but arguably, our best player, Anquan Boldin, still has to finish the season, and then win another SB, but the first here in way more than a decade. Should he do that, and his play sure suggests it, we may very well have our own contract problem with Monsieur Boldin. A lot depends on how well we do in the next 4 games, assuming all goes well. If we win out, it will be in great part due to Anquan not just in the playoffs but also all yr, doubled and all that jazz. Win it all or lose:

1.What is Anquan worth?

1.I'd say the answer to the first one is plenty, being way better than vince Jackson( a great player) plus I forget the other overpaid WR this yr. Boldin outplayed them both...and with a much less experienced QB , OC and HC. So his worth is probably off the charts at $12-$15mil per

2.Anquan's worth here is the sticky part. We have other guys in pipeline(courtesy of trent, JH) and certainly we can field a very good team next yr, but nowhere near as good as with Anquan. So let's say $12 mil, altho I don't know how we come up with that kind of $$.

3.Let's say Trent offers $10 mil. IMO, he is worth more to this team, but trent has been really careful about balancing the payroll. It has allowed us to keep way more talented guys than other teams can. But that is coming to an end.
The intangibles are that Boldin could have stayed with the SB winner, but maybe he saw the wholesale housecleaning and wanted to win another SB. Also, he knew they wouldn't meet his contract demands. Bingo, SF here he comes. Now hopefully we are closing in on that similar situation in 4 more games. What would Trent do? My guess is the financially sound thing and not re-sign him...BUT...at the Cards and also Ravens, Anquan didn't get the pass chances he did here. Would that affect his desire to stay on but at a number that is in keeping with Trent's balanced payroll? Maybe. But trent's number may not enough. Whatever happens, it has been one helluva ride with Anquan. We would all love to see him stay here. Maybe AB has a plan to do so, and if so, would love to see it.

Anquan played good this year and was fundamental, but did'nt put up Fitz numbers or Megatron numbers. In fact after week one he had a drop off. He's been huge for us, but because we had virtually no one. I'd give him the same money as this year, no more.. the dude is not going to get younger next year.
Originally posted by tondiman:

1.What is Anquan worth?

Anquan played good this year and was fundamental, but did'nt put up Fitz numbers or Megatron numbers. In fact after week one he had a drop off. He's been huge for us, but because we had virtually no one. I'd give him the same money as this year, no more.. the dude is not going to get younger next year.

he had his best season statistically since 2006
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Give a percentage to your agent, and A LOT of it to the government. And remember, you are only in the league making that kind of money for a few short years, not like you're working until 60.

Actually there is nothing to stop professional sportsmen working after they stop playing. The ones who don't end up employed by the TV companies that is. John Taylor would be an example.

It is an obscene amount of money to pay someone for playing a sport.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
$21m!!

Ridiculous.

That's enough to feed a small country lmao! It's amazing how rich a single person can get, wtf do u do with all that friggin money?

They help put a lot young stripperz thru college. .
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
i dont blame fitz...he earned that money.

That ain't no lie.

Wish we had the cap room to even consider going after him.

And yet if by some miracle he becomes available, Baalke will be blamed for not signing him.

Bad teams make bad contract moves. When you suck but have young talent you frontload the contract or evenly distribute the cap number and expect to pay other talent you draft.

We did this with Willis and Staley
[ Edited by Tigerlaw on Jan 2, 2014 at 10:59 AM ]
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Bad teams make bad contract moves. When you suck but have young talent you frontload the contract or evenly distribute the cap number and expect to pay other talent you draft.

We did this with Willis and Staley

And VD and Bowman..almost all of our contracts.
$21m!!

Ridiculous.
this. even 18 mio. are way too much. whoever negotiated this contract on Fitz' side, is a master on his job.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by tondiman:

1.What is Anquan worth?

he had his best season statistically since 2006

I don't care what numbers Boldin put up he has to be re signed our offense was terrible and he still put up 85 catches for 1,179 yards with 7 TD's he did it all by himself he had no one else to take the pressure off him he was our only receiver this year. (besides Davis at TE) he has fit perfectly what 49er football is hes tough and keeps his mouth shut. He didn't put up huge numbers but with out him were not in the playoffs i'm sure of that. Down the stretch hes constantly getting open and he has become Kaeps go to guy and hes tough as nails after the catch. Niners cant afford to let him go he brings so much to the team with his leadership and on the field attitude he may ask for a lot but lets not be stupid like the Ravens you bet they feel good about not paying him right now? Niners should not make that mistake.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:30 AM ]
This is the NFL, not MLB or NBA where contracts are guaranteed. Fitz can say he doesn't want to take a pay cut, but their GM will just have to find a way to change the dollars into a signing bonus or some other category to get him what he wants while leaving money to get a QB, etc.
Share 49ersWebzone