There are 264 users in the forums

Conferences and divisions are stupid

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
the NFL would be better if people would stop trying to fix something that wasn't broke to begin with.

A lot of crying about this

its bizarre that people complain about the "wussification" of America and how "everyone gets a trophy" and then turn around and say, "The NFL isn't fair because sometimes decent team miss the playoffs."

its only happened like three times in the modern era. No reason to blow the whole thing up because one AZ team that couldn't beat top competition consistently doesn't make the playoffs in a stacked division and conference.

This. Everyone knows the deal going in. You want to make the playoffs? Win your division. Doing anything less puts your fate in the hands of others.
Originally posted by dave1003:
All I know is this, to all you guys who defend this current joke of a system, I hope you feel the same way if a 12 win 49er team goes to Green Bay and loses to an 8 win team because of home field.

the better team will win. not worried, lol.

They are capable of beating us there though. Especially at home and in January and in that stadium. Plus Aaron Rodgers is back. I'd say we are the better team but I put this game at around 50/50. Based on weather, location and Rodgers being back now.
Originally posted by Liono:
I don't care about rivalries. I just want the 49ers to beat whoever they are playing, and I think most fans feel the same way. If you have a playoff system to determine the NFL champion, the best teams in the league should go. Having a system were team A can go at 8-8 while team B misses it at 11-5, just because of the region Team A is from doesn't make sense.

Meh. The only sure way to get to the playoffs is to win your division. I like it. 3rd place in your division shouldn't get you a spot in the playoffs IMO. Although that happens too
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
All I know is this, to all you guys who defend this current joke of a system, I hope you feel the same way if a 12 win 49er team goes to Green Bay and loses to an 8 win team because of home field.

They are capable of beating us there though. Especially at home and in January and in that stadium. Plus Aaron Rodgers is back. I'd say we are the better team but I put this game at around 50/50. Based on weather, location and Rodgers being back now.

of course. its the playoffs. anything can happen. that's what makes it exciting.

its not about being fair or even or just. its competition. champions overcome.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

of course. its the playoffs. anything can happen. that's what makes it exciting.

its not about being fair or even or just. its competition. champions overcome.

If it was us at home like it should be since we are 12 - 4 I would say we win hands down. This game I'm not so sure. It's pretty even. More even than people think IMO.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Meh. The only sure way to get to the playoffs is to win your division. I like it. 3rd place in your division shouldn't get you a spot in the playoffs IMO. Although that happens too
Sorry, that is way too general. If you stuck in a division with us/Seattle and Broncos for example, it would be not fair to take away chances to get a playoff berth just because you are third in this division.
I mean, if the first is 15-1, the second is 14-2 and the third is 13-3 then there is a high possibility that the 3rd is still better than about 95% of the remaining teams.
The system is fine. there is a reason division games are so tough to win. Teams prepare and build their teams to win the division.

I could possibly get behind a playoff seeding change based on record, but really the system is fine.

The game isaint broken. Its becoming that way though because people have to tinker with s**t that isaint broken.
i dont understand why people think it being cold in green bay is an advantage for them. i'm from wisconsin. the citizens of wisconsin are also f**king cold when its five degrees outside, and the packers practice inside. lambeau is a s**tty home field advantage. not worried.
Only thing I'd like to see changed is playoff seeding. I think it should go strictly by record. I'm cool with division winners getting an automatic playoff birth, even if it means leaving out a team with a better record. I don't have a problem with GB getting in, and AZ left out, but GB should be a 6 seed.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Dec 30, 2013 at 12:06 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This. Everyone knows the deal going in. You want to make the playoffs? Win your division. Doing anything less puts your fate in the hands of others.

This.Like my brother likes to say: "Its on you"....

u want home playoff games, win your division. i like divisions, gives us 3 teams to hate on and the playoff rivalries with other teams provide a different kind of rivalry
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Only thing I'd like to see changed is playoff seeding. I think it should go strictly by record. I'm cool with division winners getting an automatic playoff birth, even if it means leaving out a team with a better record. I don't have a problem with GB getting in, and AZ left out, but GB should be a 6 seed.

This.
And sometimes it works as intended:

1991-92 NFC seedings:

1. Redskins 14-2
2. Lions 12-4
3. Saints 11-5
4. Bears 11-5
5. Cowboys 11-5
6. Falcons 10-6 (beat 9ers twice)
7. 49ers 10-6
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

This.Like my brother likes to say: "Its on you"....

so the solution is win games? which is the point of everything anyway. problem solved.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Liono:
What is the point to dividing teams up into conferences and divisions? All you're doing is setting up situations where 11 win teams miss the playoffs while an 8 win team gets in. And the b******t of an 8 win team hosting a playoff game against an 11 win team. Or what happened in the 90s where the NFC championship was the real superbowl.

It seems it originated from the days when teams traveled around by bus, but in the modern era the travel time is inconsequential. The NFL could use a computer program create the annual schedule based on the records of teams from the prior year, attempting to get the strength of schedule even as possible amongst all teams. Seed the top 12 teams with the top 4 getting byes.

They keep the divisions for the rivalries. Imagine us right now without sea to hate on. It
Wouldn't be as fun.

I remember the old NFC west when we had rivalries with the Saints and Falcons and Rams, lol. I think they should do something with the playoffs though, maybe strength of the division, trumps mediocre record, something like that. I would definitely be in favor of doing away with divisions, maybe like they have a qbr (quarter back rating, they could have a rivalry schedule rating system, where four games are scheduled throughout the season between other teams that has a high rivalry schedule ratings (this could also be voted on by the fans in the previous years probowl player ratings as well), something like this might would make better sense compared to what is out there now. Why not have a flex system in the league alignment as well, so that we could have a superbowl of for example, the 49ers versus the cowboys? This would make it a lot more interesting, at least to me.
Share 49ersWebzone