There are 173 users in the forums

Conferences and divisions are stupid

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Liono
What is the point to dividing teams up into conferences and divisions? All you're doing is setting up situations where 11 win teams miss the playoffs while an 8 win team gets in. And the b******t of an 8 win team hosting a playoff game against an 11 win team. Or what happened in the 90s where the NFC championship was the real superbowl.

It seems it originated from the days when teams traveled around by bus, but in the modern era the travel time is inconsequential. The NFL could use a computer program create the annual schedule based on the records of teams from the prior year, attempting to get the strength of schedule even as possible amongst all teams. Seed the top 12 teams with the top 4 getting byes.
[ Edited by Liono on Dec 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM ]
Originally posted by Liono:
What is the point to dividing teams up into conferences and divisions? All you're doing is setting up situations where 11 win teams miss the playoffs while an 8 win team gets in. And the b******t of an 8 win team hosting a playoff game against an 11 win team. Or what happened in the 90s where the NFC championship was the real superbowl.

It seems it originated from the days when teams traveled around by bus, but in the modern era the travel time is inconsequential. The NFL could use a computer program create the annual schedule based on the records of teams from the prior year, attempting to get the strength of schedule even as possible amongst all teams. Seed the top 12 teams with the top 4 getting byes.

They keep the divisions for the rivalries. Imagine us right now without sea to hate on. It
Wouldn't be as fun.
the NFL would be better if people would stop trying to fix something that wasn't broke to begin with.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
the NFL would be better if people would stop trying to fix something that wasn't broke to begin with.

A lot of crying about this
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

its bizarre that people complain about the "wussification" of America and how "everyone gets a trophy" and then turn around and say, "The NFL isn't fair because sometimes decent team miss the playoffs."

its only happened like three times in the modern era. No reason to blow the whole thing up because one AZ team that couldn't beat top competition consistently doesn't make the playoffs in a stacked division and conference.

its bizarre that people complain about the "wussification" of America and how "everyone gets a trophy" and then turn around and say, "The NFL isn't fair because sometimes decent team miss the playoffs."

its only happened like three times in the modern era. No reason to blow the whole thing up because one AZ team that couldn't beat top competition consistently doesn't make the playoffs in a stacked division and conference.

Yeah..Win your division and you don't have anything to worry about
Originally posted by Ballistic:

is this jim schwartz?

This. What will (likely) happen to Arizona this year is extremely rare in the NFL. And really, the simple answer to what is really a non-issue would be for them to win more games.

Its not anyone else's problem that despite being a 10-win team, they're still only the third best in their division. And it's not like they've strung together multiple winning seasons only to lose out because of the division they play in.

Being quite honest, I seriously doubt Arizona will have another season like this anytime soon.
  • Liono
I don't care about rivalries. I just want the 49ers to beat whoever they are playing, and I think most fans feel the same way. If you have a playoff system to determine the NFL champion, the best teams in the league should go. Having a system were team A can go at 8-8 while team B misses it at 11-5, just because of the region Team A is from doesn't make sense.

All I know is this, to all you guys who defend this current joke of a system, I hope you feel the same way if a 12 win 49er team goes to Green Bay and loses to an 8 win team because of home field.
It's a simple fix...

Keep the divison winners get an automatic bid into the playoffs regardless of record.

CHANGE the rule that they get to host, higher seed should always get homefield.

I'm suprised the NFL has not implemented this with them wanting to make every game count.
Originally posted by dave1003:
All I know is this, to all you guys who defend this current joke of a system, I hope you feel the same way if a 12 win 49er team goes to Green Bay and loses to an 8 win team because of home field.

Man up and take the 4th place trophies off the shelf.

If we loose, we loose. The system is fine as is. The seek of perfection is often the downfall of near perfect systems.
It didn't work out for us this year. But it did work out for Seattle the year they were 7 - 9 and got a home game in the playoffs....
Originally posted by dave1003:

the better team will win. not worried, lol.
Share 49ersWebzone