There are 166 users in the forums

Lions sign worlds fastest rugby player

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by pelos21:
How the f**k do you even play rugby anyways?

imagine the NFL if you weren't allowed to block....... and there were no downs........ and no forward passes........

for starters.

No padding.

Playing the whole time - no O, D, STs.

Nowhere near as many penalties.

Nowhere near as much money .

well........ that the referee catches at least...........................

No, I meant nowhere near as many rules to break.

No, I meant nowhere near as many rules to break.

got it.
I would race him at track and field on a Power Pad®
I've always wanted to see rugby players in the NFL.

Could you imagine if every team had 5 rugby guys you could put in desperation situations at end of games? They have tremendous experience with lateraling the ball compared to football players.

It's a cool sport. Would love to see a football game of mixed NFL/Rugby guys and a rugby game of mixed NFL/union guys.....unfortunately the injury factor would never allow it.
  • slip
  • Veteran
Union or League?

League is better. I don't mind union, but I grew up on league. Australia won the world cup against New Zealand. No contest. Oh yeah. Lol
New weapon for a new coach?
This another example of why the Detroit Lions suck. Did some research on this guy and discovered he doesn't even play the true form of rugby. He plays 7's which is basically like seven on seven drills in training camp in the NFL. Also from what I seen he is only known as a good US rugby player which honestly is like being the tallest midget in the circus.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

49ers needs to sign this guy and develop him in to a FB or a OLB. Dude is a BEAST. 6'2, 260lbs, pretty fast for a big guy, super athletic.

the problem is that football scouts and such don't evaluate international talent very well. they're more locked into evaluating football playmaking, not raw athletic potential.
the truth is there are scores of elite athletes in international sports like track and field, rugby, wrestling, etc, but the nfl doesn't devote the effort to find them all. there are even elite athletes who don't play any pro sports because they live in poverty conditions. there are millions of men in nigeria, for example, and i'll bet there's at least 50 or so athletic studs who are doing nothing.
western europe, the nordic countries? there are plenty of elite o-linemen living there who don't know it. the nfl needs to scout the world for elite teenagers and channel them to american college football. invest in their own product. as it is, the nfl is currently too stingy.
if i was an owner, i'd have about 5 international scouts, and they'd probably not be from football. probably from track and field; guys used to evaluating raw, clean athletic talent.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
the first time lewis delmas blows up isles, he'll be on a plane back to rugbyville. he's too small

Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

49ers needs to sign this guy and develop him in to a FB or a OLB. Dude is a BEAST. 6'2, 260lbs, pretty fast for a big guy, super athletic.

the problem is that football scouts and such don't evaluate international talent very well. they're more locked into evaluating football playmaking, not raw athletic potential.
the truth is there are scores of elite athletes in international sports like track and field, rugby, wrestling, etc, but the nfl doesn't devote the effort to find them all. there are even elite athletes who don't play any pro sports because they live in poverty conditions. there are millions of men in nigeria, for example, and i'll bet there's at least 50 or so athletic studs who are doing nothing.
western europe, the nordic countries? there are plenty of elite o-linemen living there who don't know it. the nfl needs to scout the world for elite teenagers and channel them to american college football. invest in their own product. as it is, the nfl is currently too stingy.
if i was an owner, i'd have about 5 international scouts, and they'd probably not be from football. probably from track and field; guys used to evaluating raw, clean athletic talent.

It makes sense, but maybe they figure the time/money invested isn't worth it. It isn't the easiest thing in the world for a guy to put on pads and play football when they haven't played in awhile or in this, may have never played.

Brock Lesnar is a tremendous athlete and we saw what happened when he tried to make an NFL team. Though I will admit a player who is attempting such a jump is probably going to need to make a 2-3 year commitment to prepare for that transition.
Share 49ersWebzone