LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Lions sign worlds fastest rugby player

Shop 49ers game tickets
What were the odds that this track guy would make the U.S. National Sevens rugby squad after playing the sport for less than three months? What are the odds that he'd not only make the team, but earn a contract with Nike and the moniker, "The fastest rugby player in the world?"

What then were the odds that this 5-8, 166-pound budding rugby star would be signed to the Lions' practice squad? He hadn't played any real football in four years except briefly returning kicks at Ashland University. Heck, what were the odds he'd even be asked to tryout?

He did good. He ran the 40-yard dash one time for the Lions and posted a 4.22.

"I'd a run a 4.1 if they let me do it again," he said.

He might not have been kidding. Before he quit track and took his talents to rugby, he was considered the 36th fastest sprinter in the United States.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131226/SPORTS0101/312260070#ixzz2oegOrKET
They better not get him hurt....

I was looking forward to see him play in the olympics in two years....
Same height, 8 pounds lighter than Tavon Austin. Austin ran a 4.25 unofficial. Isles going to be dangerous on the turf in Detroit. Just hope the Rams don't claim him and pair him up with Austin.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Dec 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM ]
Oh please just because you're fast it's not a given you can come into the NFL and even be average. Austin is no where at least his rookie year near the hype he had coming out of the draft with the exception of 2-3 games. On top of that dude hasn't even played football for 4 years and when he played it was at some unknown school.

49ers needs to sign this guy and develop him in to a FB or a OLB. Dude is a BEAST. 6'2, 260lbs, pretty fast for a big guy, super athletic.
36th fastest? I wish the guy the best, but it's a long shot.

At one point, Justin Gatlin was THE fastest sprinter in the world and even he couldn't crack a spot on the Houston Texans lineup. The NFL is a different beast than all field sports -- including college football, CFL, AFL, and rugby.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2679967
[ Edited by Imfasterthanur on Dec 27, 2013 at 1:28 AM ]
  • slip
  • Veteran
Being from Australia, I watch rugby a far bit, but it's a completely different game to the NFL. Just because a player is fast or strong, does not mean they will be successful in the NFL. Would an NFL player go from padding and helmet to just a mouth guard in Rugby? Both sports are great, but forget players crossing over. The NFL has seen former AFL players used for punting on 4th down. I think Sav Rocco a former Collingwood Magpie played for an NFL team that played in the Super Bowl.
How the f**k do you even play rugby anyways?
Originally posted by pelos21:

Union or League?
They say Davis has freakish speed.. this kid can flat out FLY.

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Has straight line speed but didnt see agilty or any cuts, if he runs back kick offs he'll end up shooting the gap to soon
Now yhat Tulaji guy I can see being a fullback
160 lbs? His weight will double with the pads on. Let's see how fast he is suited up.

imagine the NFL if you weren't allowed to block....... and there were no downs........ and no forward passes........

for starters.
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Dec 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

imagine the NFL if you weren't allowed to block....... and there were no downs........ and no forward passes........

for starters.

No padding.

Playing the whole time - no O, D, STs.

Nowhere near as many penalties.

Nowhere near as much money .
Share 49ersWebzone