LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

Roger Goodell--His Game, His Rules

Shop 49ers game tickets
What the hell is the point of coaching challenges if you're going to get a third for being wrong on the first 2 free ones? That's a reward for being correct twice. Philly & Washington are dumbass teams.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
15. By Competition Committee: Makes actions to conserve time illegal after the two-minute warning of either half.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/23/nfl-to-consider-15-new-rules-6-new-bylaws-3-new-resolutions/

What does this mean? Faking an injury?
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
15. By Competition Committee: Makes actions to conserve time illegal after the two-minute warning of either half.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/23/nfl-to-consider-15-new-rules-6-new-bylaws-3-new-resolutions/

What does this mean? Faking an injury?
2017 PLAYING RULE PROPOSAL NO. 15 Amend Rule 4, Section 7, Articles 1, 2, and 4 (Actions to Conserve Time, pgs. 15-16) to read (new language underlined, deleted language struck through):

ARTICLE 1. ILLEGAL ACTS. A team is not permitted to conserve time inside of one minute after the two-minute warning of either half by committing any of these acts:

ARTICLE 2. SUBSTITUTION VIOLATION INSIDE ONE MINUTE AFTER TWO-MINUTE WARNING. Inside one minute After the two-minute warning of either half, if there is a violation of the substitution rule while the ball is dead and time is in, in addition to the applicable yardage penalty for illegal substitution, there will be a 10-second runoff pursuant to Article 1 above, unless it is obvious that the offensive team is not attempting to conserve time.

ARTICLE 4. REPLAY REVIEW INSIDE ONE MINUTE AFTER TWO-MINUTE WARNING OF EITHER HALF. If a replay review inside of one minute after the two minute warning of either half results in the on-field ruling being reversed and the correct ruling would not have stopped the game clock, then the officials will run 10 seconds off the game clock before permitting the ball to be put in play on the ready-for-play signal. The defense cannot decline the runoff, but either team can use a remaining timeout to prevent it.

Submitted by Competition Committee

Effect: Makes actions to conserve time illegal after the two-minute warning of either half.

Reason: Greater consistency in application of timing rules.
https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2017%20Offseason/Rules%20Change%20Proposals.pdf
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Mar 24, 2017 at 2:12 AM ]
  • thl408
Thanks. I don't understand the first rule about illegal substitution rule. Probably need an example of a game situation. About the second rule, I thought all reviews inside of the two minute warning had to come from the booth?
When Joe Namath was told to get rid of his bar, Bachelor's 3, back in the late 60's he had a luncheon with team owner Sonny Werblin and his wife. Joe explained that it was his right and the NFL can't tell him what to do etc. etc. Werblin was an impresario in show business, his wife laughed and said, "Joe, it's entertainment". When fans get riled up over Goodell, Kraft, Brady, keep in mind the bottom line, it's just entertainment.
Thanks. I don't understand the first rule about illegal substitution rule. Probably need an example of a game situation. About the second rule, I thought all reviews inside of the two minute warning had to come from the booth?

Basically its the same illegal substitution rule but they tack on a 10 second runoff if under 2mim..

Similar to false start at the end of the game under two min. There is a runoff.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 27, 2017 at 8:32 PM ]
NFL's huge overtime rule change gets tabled, change to kickoff gets voted down
Not every rule proposal was approved at the league's annual meeting

If the NFL's overtime format is going to change before the 2017 season starts, the league's 32 owners are going to have to do some wheeling and dealing over the next two months to make it happen.

The proposal to shorten the league's overtime period from 15 minutes to 10 minutes for preseason and regular-season games was tabled on Tuesday. However, that doesn't mean it won't eventually pass.

According to Pro Football Talk, nine owners were going to vote against the rule change, which would've been enough to defeat the proposal. To become a rule, a proposal needs at least 24 votes from the NFL's 32 owners, so nine votes against was barely enough to block the proposal.

According to NFL reporter Howard Balzer, there's a chance the overtime rule could be voted on again at the league meetings in May since the first vote was so close. The owners who want to change overtime would only need to convince one other owner to vote for the change between now and May 22, when the spring league meeting begins in Chicago.

The NFL basically has three options at this point; The league could drop the proposal, try to vote on it again in May or come up with several options for the owners to vote on. When the extra point was changed in 2015, NFL owners actually had three options to choose from before the line of scrimmage for the kick was eventually moved back to the 15-yard line.

The biggest downside of shortening overtime to 10 minutes is that it would mean more ties, something that NFL VP of officiating Dean Blandino recently admitted.

"There's no question that when you shorten that overtime period, the potential for ties does increase," Blandino told ProFootballTalk over the weekend. "And I don't think we feel that ties are necessarily a bad thing. They're certainly great for tie-breakers when it comes to postseason. But ultimately you want to have a winner in the game."

The competition committee had proposed the overtime change in hopes of improving player safety. According to NFL.com, the league feels that teams are at a "real disadvantage" when they have to play a Thursday game following a Sunday game where they played a 15-minute overtime period.

One other big rule proposal also got shot down on Tuesday: The league decided not to modify the kickoff.

Washington made a proposal that would move touchbacks to the 20-yard line if a kickoff went through the uprights. According to NFL.com, the proposal only received 11 of the 24 needed votes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfls-huge-overtime-rule-change-gets-tabled-change-to-kickoff-gets-voted-down/
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Basically its the same illegal substitution rule but they tack on a 10 second runoff if under 2mim..

No. This is the "Chip Kelly Rule"

Basically telling your players to commit a foul on purpose to kill the clock.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/3/24/15041968/nfl-rule-proposals-chip-kelly-rule-holding-penalty-game-clock-manipulation

I believe the first time he did it was with the Eagles. He told 15 guys to go out on defense during a final play.
They need to stop trying to change/improve in-game rules and need to focus more on how they can make more accurate calls.

Its basically a 12 men on the field rule. You can substitute as long as you dont slow down the progression of the play but you also cant have 12 men on the field when the ball is hiked even if they are running off the field.

Its mostly all involved with a hurry up style offense and the opposed defense.

As far as the injury penalty goes im not sure how that is determined.
[ Edited by JBrack on Mar 30, 2017 at 5:58 PM ]

• thl408
Originally posted by JBrack:

Its basically a 12 men on the field rule. You can substitute as long as you dont slow down the progression of the play but you also cant have 12 men on the field when the ball is hiked even if they are running off the field.

ARTICLE 2. SUBSTITUTION VIOLATION INSIDE ONE MINUTE AFTER TWO-MINUTE WARNING. Inside one minute After the two-minute warning of either half, if there is a violation of the substitution rule while the ball is dead and time is in, in addition to the applicable yardage penalty for illegal substitution, there will be a 10-second runoff pursuant to Article 1 above, unless it is obvious that the offensive team is not attempting to conserve time.

I'm not clear on why a team in hurry up offense mode would intentionally commit a substitution penalty. Is it because they will happily take a loss of yards in exchange for the clock to stop? So now with this rule change, it's no longer advantageous to intentionally commit a substitution penalty due to the 10 second runoff?
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by JBrack:

I'm not clear on why a team in hurry up offense mode would intentionally commit a substitution penalty. Is it because they will happily take a loss of yards in exchange for the clock to stop? So now with this rule change, it's no longer advantageous to intentionally commit a substitution penalty due to the 10 second runoff?

See the Chip play I posted above. It's not just about substitutions.

Lets say a team needs 20 yards to get into FG range.
10 sec left in the game.
DBs hold all the WRs on purpose.
Defensive holding 5 yards and 10 sec runoff.
Offense is left with 1 untimed down.
Now they can't get into FG range.

They want to change the rule so if a foul is committed just to kill the clock the penalty would be an unsportsmanlike conduct.
15 yards
Clock is reset to before the play.
Offensive team would now only need 5 yards to get into FG range and have 10 sec left.

That's the difference.
  • thl408
Originally posted by SoCold:
See the Chip play I posted above. It's not just about substitutions.

Lets say a team needs 20 yards to get into FG range.
10 sec left in the game.
DBs hold all the WRs on purpose.
Defensive holding 5 yards and 10 sec runoff.
Offense is left with 1 untimed down.
Now they can't get into FG range.

They want to change the rule so if a foul is committed just to kill the clock the penalty would be an unsportsmanlike conduct.
15 yards
Clock is reset to before the play.
Offensive team would now only need 5 yards to get into FG range and have 10 sec left.

That's the difference.

Thanks, I get that situation you described, but I am referring specifically about the substitution rule. What kind of illegal substitution will now result in a 10 second runoff? So forget about the Chip rule, that is not what I am talking about. I'd like some example of the substitution rule if anyone can provide one.

Question: How have teams been committing substitution penalties to help conserve the clock, to the point where the league has to step in and implement this 10 second runoff?
Jerry Jones addresses Roger Goodell's contract, marijuana at owners-only meeting

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones took a lead role in an owners-only meeting last week in Arizona, where discussion topics included NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's next contract, the league's marijuana policy and its practice of investigating players' off-field misconduct, Pro Football Talk reports.

While several owners want more influence in determining Goodell's next contract, Jones suggested all owners be involved. The feeling among some owners is that they are paying Goodell too much money, according to PFT. SportsBusiness Daily reported last July that Goodell earned almost $32 million in 2015.

Jones also suggested to his fellow owners that the NFL lift its ban on marijuana. Other owners noted that doing so could be used as a bargaining chip as the league and NFLPA negotiate their next labor deal.

While Jones also encouraged owners to consider ending the league's practice of investigating off-field legal matters, an NFL spokesperson told PFT that the league remains committed to doing its own investigative work.

Putting into context Jones' position on marijuana and off-field investigations, PFT notes several Cowboys players — Rolando McClain, DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory — have been suspended recently for violating the league's substance-abuse policy, and that Jones has been frustrated with the league's less-than-expeditious investigation into Ezekiel Elliott's alleged domestic violence incident.

But Jones, one of the league's most influential owners, remains committed to Goodell, according to the report. And while Jones wants a larger voice in the three issues he addressed in Arizona last week, no significant changes are expected any time soon.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/jerry-jones-cowboys-owners-meeting-nfl-marijuana-roger-goodell-ezekiel-elliott/1depxy1ni54791my63nh5nng2p
Coming soon--
Roger will allow players to adhere to state pot laws, which will really suck for teams in states with strict cannabis laws, in exchange for an 18 game season.
This will be followed by an exodus of players to cannabis decrminalized states.
Share 49ersWebzone