LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 244 users in the forums

Roger Goodell--His Game, His Rules

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
It's about time. The owners are figuring out that another commissioner can get them the same TV money without all the negative press. The beginning of the end was when he lost Kraft's support.

Well I hope he kept a backup copy of those Spygate videos to hold over the Patriots as leverage

Yeah right, I believe that Goodell didn't keep any videotapes or the notes. He had them all transferred to BLU RAY and microfilm.
As the $$$ flow in, it really doesn't matter what Goddell did (or not)...from a football perspective that is. The NFL's net worth has grown under his leadership, and that's what the owners pay him to do. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a big bonus for "going above and beyond initial revenue goals".
NFL is not a philanthropic organization out there to benefit the world, rather an entertainment related business.
If it looks, smells, and acts like a turd, put a suit on it and make it the commissioner of the NFL.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersking:
As the $$$ flow in, it really doesn't matter what Goddell did (or not)...from a football perspective that is. The NFL's net worth has grown under his leadership, and that's what the owners pay him to do. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a big bonus for "going above and beyond initial revenue goals".
NFL is not a philanthropic organization out there to benefit the world, rather an entertainment related business.

I feel you but as Tom Cruise said in Tropic Thunder, I think a nutless monkey cpuld do his job, at least from a revenue standpoint. To me, those revenues wouldve increased regardless. The TV deals woulda gotten done regardless. Im not incredibly versed on the subject, but I cant think of anything he's done profit wise that was all that awe inspiring pr unexpected. Hell, theBiners just made the NFL a s**tton ofmoney opening up a new market in Australia now that Hayne is on the team. Gooddel was a coach given an already stacked roster...just dont f**k it up. He's castrated the game, shifted all the balance to the offense and changed rules that didnt need to be changed. The game itself has actually gotten worse under his watch and no true football fan can argue that.

Im not an owner, but if I was I wouldnt be judging him based on increased revenues. I think that was just the natural order of things. Id grade him on everything else ehich imo has been average at best. He's mishandled pretty much every high profile situation the NFL has been involved with.
Have you guys noticed that every team that is building a new stadium is magically in the Super Bowl the year before they move into their new stadium?

Is the NFL rigging games? Goodell is a money grab type of guy so I wouldn't put it past him.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
The Pats winning this SB will be the greatest FU to Goodell and his horrible term as Commissioner.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/23/tom-brady-maybe-ill-share-thoughts-on-roger-goodell-after-super-bowl/
The Goodell F L.
Originally posted by jcs:
The Pats winning this SB will be the greatest FU to Goodell and his horrible term as Commissioner.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/23/tom-brady-maybe-ill-share-thoughts-on-roger-goodell-after-super-bowl/

As much as I want to see the Pats win to rub it in Goodell's face, I don't want Brady to win another ring and surpass Montana as the all time QB

That's what I'll be rooting for.
Originally posted by Eli_23:

As much as I want to see the Pats win to rub it in Goodell's face, I don't want Brady to win another ring and surpass Montana as the all time QB

that type of stuff doesn't matter anymore when it comes to the Patriots.

Big time proven cheaters. The fact that Brady is a bay area niners/Giants fan makes me think of nobody else that would be more deserving even with the different rules and asterisks.

Originally posted by glorydayz:
Have you guys noticed that every team that is building a new stadium is magically in the Super Bowl the year before they move into their new stadium?

Is the NFL rigging games? Goodell is a money grab type of guy so I wouldn't put it past him.

Ummm... the Vikings haven't sniffed the Super Bowl before they built their new place. What about the Rams?
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Ummm... the Vikings haven't sniffed the Super Bowl before they built their new place. What about the Rams?

Based on this theory, 2018 is Rams V Chargers. yeah.
Originally posted by Eli_23:

Yup
WTF is Goodell doing to the game?

NFL to consider 15 new rules, 6 new bylaws, 3 new resolutions
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 23, 2017, 6:02 PM EDT
AP

NFL owners will vote on a wide variety of potential new rules, new league bylaws and new resolutions, covering everything from whether a player can leap over the line of scrimmage on a field goal to whether a team can opt-out of the league's "Color Rush" uniforms.

2017 rule proposals

1. By Philadelphia: Gives additional protections for long snappers on kick plays.

2. By Philadelphia: Prohibits the "leaper" block attempt on field goal and extra point plays.

3. By Philadelphia: Expands the "crown of helmet" foul to include "hairline" part of helmet.

4. By Philadelphia: Amends the challenge system by granting a third challenge if a club is successful on at least one of its initial two challenges, and expands reviewable plays outside of two minutes of each half.

5. By Washington: Eliminates the limit of three total challenges per team per game and eliminates the requirement that a team be successful on each of its first two challenges in order to be awarded a third challenge.

6. By Washington: Moves the line of scrimmage to the 20-yard line for any touchback where the free kick travels through the uprights.

7. By Buffalo and Seattle: Permits a coach to challenge any officials' decision except scoring plays and turnovers.

8. By Competition Committee: Makes permanent the rule that disqualifies a player who is penalized twice in one game for certain types of unsportsmanlike conduct fouls.

9. By Competition Committee: Changes the spot of the next snap after a touchback resulting from a free kick to the 25-yard line for one year only.

10. By Competition Committee: Reduces the length of preseason and regular season overtime periods to 10 minutes.

11. By Competition Committee: Gives a receiver running a pass route defenseless player protection.

12. By Competition Committee: Makes crackback blocks prohibited by a backfield player who is in motion, even if he is not more than two yards outside the tackle when the ball is snapped.

13. By Competition Committee: Replaces the sideline replay monitor with a hand-held device and authorizes designated members of the Officiating department to make the final decision on replay reviews.

14. By Competition Committee: Makes it Unsportsmanlike Conduct to commit multiple fouls during the same down designed to manipulate the game clock.

15. By Competition Committee: Makes actions to conserve time illegal after the two-minute warning of either half.

2017 bylaw proposals

1. By Washington: Amends Article XVII, Section 17.1 to eliminate the mandatory cutdown to 75 Active List players.

2. By Washington: Amends Article XVII, Section 17.14 to place a player who has suffered a concussion, and who has not been cleared to play, on the club's Exempt List, and be replaced by a player on the club's Practice Squad on a game-by-game basis until the player is cleared to play.

3. By Washington: Amends Article XIX, Sections 19.8(B) and 19.9(B) to permit clubs to opt out of the "color rush" jerseys created for Thursday Night Football.

4. By Competition Committee: Liberalizes rules for timing, testing, and administering physical examinations to draft-eligible players at a club's facility for one year only.

5. By Competition Committee: Changes the procedures for returning a player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness to the Active List to be similar to those for returning a player that was Designated for Return.

6. By Competition Committee; The League office will transmit a Personnel Notice to clubs on Sundays during training camp and preseason.

2017 Resolution Proposals

1. By Philadelphia: Amends the NFL's On-Field Policy to allow clubs to have an alternate helmet in a color to match their third uniform.

2. By Competition Committee: Permits a club to negotiate and reach an agreement with a head coach candidate during the postseason prior to the conclusion of the employer club's season.

3. By Competition Committee: Permits a contract or non-contract non-football employee to interview with and be hired by another club during the playing season, provided the employer club has consented.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/23/nfl-to-consider-15-new-rules-6-new-bylaws-3-new-resolutions/
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Mar 23, 2017 at 7:36 PM ]
Goodell is an _ _ _ _ _ _ _!

'It's good?' Possible bonus for kickoff between uprights
Posted by Michael Gehlken on March 23, 2017, 7:44 PM EDT

Two referees stand beneath the goal post before a field-goal or extra-point attempt, waiting there to determine if a kick sails beyond the crossbar and between the uprights for a successful conversion.

Imagine that for kickoffs, too

Such is one rules-change proposal that will be considered next week at the NFL owner meetings. This one, proposed by Washington owner Dan Snyder, stands to reward a team whose kickoff is ruled "good" with field position, as its opponent would start the ensuing drive at the 20-yard line as opposed to the expected 25.

This is not the first time something like this has been discussed. Last November, the Ravens banged the drum for a one-point scoreboard incentive on such straight-shot kicks. (Note: We need to find a name for these. Kickoff conversions?)

Snyder's rule proposal is a tamer version, albeit one that still incentivizes touchbacks and thereby furthers the NFL's player-safety cause.

Potential drawbacks to the rule, other than its ease for video gamers, appear few. One potential concern that could be raised, however, is whether or not the monitoring of a "good" kickoff will compromise the crew's ability to position itself properly for a returned kickoff.

Currently, one referee stands near the goal post for kickoffs. If kickoffs are to be judged like field goals and extra points, a second official would have to join him or her. If a converted kickoff is a one-person ruling, this concern is rendered moot.

Secondly, there is the matter of doing too much. Last year, the league made the extra point more interesting — and, some might argue, too interesting — when turning a gimme try into a 33-yard attempt. "Kickoff conversions" would be the latest example of making a wrinkle of something that once was routine.

Too many wrinkles can be off-putting.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/23/its-good-possible-bonus-for-kickoff-between-uprights/
Share 49ersWebzone