There are 136 users in the forums

Playoff Seed changes?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Has the NFL ever proposed changes for playoffs seeding. I believe the better record should host the home game NOT because you clinched your division its been an on going problems for years its time for the change imo.
This is the first time I have ever heard this...
it should be like that but i doubt anything changes. its more incentive to win your division
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
it should be like that but i doubt anything changes. its more incentive to win your division

Exactly. I like the order of it all. This argument could be extended to conferences as well if we are going to go there. Just have the top 12 teams in the tournament. Keep it the way it is.
I can see them ditching division winners getting automatic home games if they add another playoff team to each conference. Then you'd have only the #1 team getting a bye, which would happen regardless of giving division winners home field, and then #'s 2-7 would be slotted on record only.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Exactly. I like the order of it all. This argument could be extended to conferences as well if we are going to go there. Just have the top 12 teams in the tournament. Keep it the way it is.

They've talked about expanding the field to 16 teams, best way to this is to eventually dissolve the divisions. They could still have conferences but I wouldn't be surprised if it just becomes one giant league with the top 12-16 teams making the playoffs. Especially if they truly aspire to have 1 or more international teams. Plus it means bigger, better games as the season wears on. Can you imagine a post season with this as the seeding?

1. Seattle
2. Denver
3. Carolina
4. New England
5. Kansas City
6. San Francisco
7. New Orleans
8. Indianapolis
9. Arizona
10. Cincinnati
11. Baltimore
12. Philadelphia
13. Chicago
14. Miami
15. Green Bay
16. Dallas

I tried to stick to just the records so this could be off but lets just take a look at what the round 1 stories would be if the NFL expanded it to top 50% playoffs based solely off of your record. I'd take this over the current format any day.

Seattle -- Dallas (Top team against the schizophrenic Cowboys)
Denver -- Green Bay (2 of the most elite QBs ever...in round 1 in round 1 when it would have to be a SB match under current format)
Carolina -- Miami (a sleeper game. Could Miami knock out the panthers?)
New England -- Chicago (two teams accustomed to cold weather duking it out?)
Kansas City -- Philadelphia (Reid matching up against his old team. two dynamic RBs, etc)
San Francisco -- Baltimore (rematch of last years SB in round 1???!)
New Orleans -- Cincinnati (two gun slinging QBs and great defenses)
Indianapolis -- Arizona (Arians against his old team. AZ's insane D versus Luck)

You know the NFL is salivating at this. It is going to happen sooner or later.

EDIT: They could as long as the team # is at 32. Keep the divisions and say the top two teams automatically get in the playoffs and then it is seeded strictly off of overall record and head to head match ups.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 22, 2013 at 4:57 PM ]
I don't see them going to 16 teams in playoffs for a couple reasons.

1. They'll want to keep the incentive of a bye for the top teams without adding an extra weekend of playoffs.

2. 50% of teams in a playoff is not that appealing as it devalues the regular season too much (see: NBA, NHL)
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
it'll never change.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:
I don't see them going to 16 teams in playoffs for a couple reasons.

1. They'll want to keep the incentive of a bye for the top teams without adding an extra weekend of playoffs.

2. 50% of teams in a playoff is not that appealing as it devalues the regular season too much (see: NBA, NHL)

I see them doing it for 1 reason.

Money.

This is a business and the NFL has made it clear that they value the money more than ever.

They could expand it to 16 teams.

Give the top 2 teams bye's and the 13-16 seeded teams are in 1 game playoffs to match up against the top 2.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

They've talked about expanding the field to 16 teams, best way to this is to eventually dissolve the divisions. They could still have conferences but I wouldn't be surprised if it just becomes one giant league with the top 12-16 teams making the playoffs. Especially if they truly aspire to have 1 or more international teams. Plus it means bigger, better games as the season wears on. Can you imagine a post season with this as the seeding?

1. Seattle
2. Denver
3. Carolina
4. New England
5. Kansas City
6. San Francisco
7. New Orleans
8. Indianapolis
9. Arizona
10. Cincinnati
11. Baltimore
12. Philadelphia
13. Chicago
14. Miami
15. Green Bay
16. Dallas

I tried to stick to just the records so this could be off but lets just take a look at what the round 1 stories would be if the NFL expanded it to top 50% playoffs based solely off of your record. I'd take this over the current format any day.

Seattle -- Dallas (Top team against the schizophrenic Cowboys)
Denver -- Green Bay (2 of the most elite QBs ever...in round 1 in round 1 when it would have to be a SB match under current format)
Carolina -- Miami (a sleeper game. Could Miami knock out the panthers?)
New England -- Chicago (two teams accustomed to cold weather duking it out?)
Kansas City -- Philadelphia (Reid matching up against his old team. two dynamic RBs, etc)
San Francisco -- Baltimore (rematch of last years SB in round 1???!)
New Orleans -- Cincinnati (two gun slinging QBs and great defenses)
Indianapolis -- Arizona (Arians against his old team. AZ's insane D versus Luck)

You know the NFL is salivating at this. It is going to happen sooner or later.

EDIT: They could as long as the team # is at 32. Keep the divisions and say the top two teams automatically get in the playoffs and then it is seeded strictly off of overall record and head to head match ups.

The problem with this would be scheduling, no?

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cory4903:

How? it would just be 8 games in 1 day. Or as they've mused in the past the higher seeded teams (coming off a bye week)could play on Saturday and get an extra day of rest for the next round. The lower seeded teams would be at an immediate disadvantage of 1 less day to prepare, especially if you take into account the idea of expanding the field to 16 teams with the bottom 4 playing for the right to face the 1 and 2 seed.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
it'll never change.

This.

It would make having divisions and conferences pointless -- too much anarchy.
It's perfect the way it is but if you would change something it would be that if the wildcard team has a better record than the #3 or #4 division winner then the wildcard team gets the home game. If they don't then obviously the division winner gets the home game. You still have to have division winners get into the playoffs (even if 7-9, 8-8) or it kind of defeats the purpose of divisions. Also, don't add anymore teams 6 is perfect...not too many, not too few. Last thing we want is to have 8 from each side and have it like the NBA where under 500 teams get in every year.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 22, 2013 at 7:35 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by cory4903:

How? it would just be 8 games in 1 day. Or as they've mused in the past the higher seeded teams (coming off a bye week)could play on Saturday and get an extra day of rest for the next round. The lower seeded teams would be at an immediate disadvantage of 1 less day to prepare, especially if you take into account the idea of expanding the field to 16 teams with the bottom 4 playing for the right to face the 1 and 2 seed.

Stupid..makes divisions worthless
I like the format. -It makes the NFL more exciting, like seeing a low seed beat the crap out of an overrated team (that got screwed out of its division).

Winning the division is one thing, but losing it + the perks can motivate a team into playing Superbowl football.
Share 49ersWebzone