LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

KC: steal of the offseason?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Baalke probably gonna waste the picks on players with torn ACLs.
  • dj43
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by dj43:
That is a good deal ONLY if Carradine turns out to be at least a SOLID starter. As of now, all the 49ers got was cap space. If those picks don't turn out, this will be considered a TERRIBLE trade. So while that is unlikely, it is impossible to say whether or not the 49ers received value for Alex Smith.

No. Only with the benefit of hindsight.

True, but that is what this entire thread is about.
Originally posted by daWest:
Well, if you wanna know my opinion, I'm like, well, hell yeah the trade should've yielded more from a 49ers standpoint, especially since we have yet to really see a return on the transaction. But that's me being needy. And also, my knack for perceiving things in retrospect. Had anyone foreseen the effect Andy Reid and Alex would've had on the Chiefs turnaround, of course they would've demanded more, and rightly so. As it stands, the 49ers front office accepted the best deal on the table. Do I hold it against them? Yes, absolutely. In 2 years under the right regime, Alex killed the majority of his critics, won the hearts of doubters, AND after receiving tutelage in SF, he finds himself in a system that suits him even better. I feel the talent evaluators in SF should've been privy to the fact that Alex would be immensely beneficial to an Andy Reid screen-oriented offense, and in turn, pried a 1st round pick out of the deal. And again, that's me, and my perfect 20/20 hindsight vision. But still...damn...we've yet to see a return on the trade minus the cap space and moves made in lieu of.

Some very good insight here.

Andy Reid proved to have better insight into the value of Alex Smith than did anyone in the 49er organization. While Harbaugh was looking for a QB who could drive the ball down the field when his power running offense wouldn't work, and didn't think Smith could do that, Andy Reid saw Alex Smith as the perfect WCO QB for a KC team that had most of the other pieces in place to be a very good team. Since Harbaugh couldn't tell the WCO from the 1930s WPA, he had no idea as to the value of what he had right on his own roster. So while Baalke should have been able to get AT LEAST a 1st round pick for Smith, because he didn't know the value of what he had, Reid got his man for less than the Chiefs would have had to give otherwise for a top 10 NFL starting QB.

As of now, Alex Smith and the Chiefs are filling Arrowhead with happy fans while 49er fans are hoping Kaepernick can accelerate his learning process to make the most of the 49er roster and win the Super Bowl this year because anything less than a Super Bowl win this year will be considered a failed season.

All of this and that.

There were a handful of KC fans spewing the "we better win it all or this trade sux" mantra, but that's being horribly dense. The players and community needed to find its way back to winning football. They needed to put the butts in the seats and give the good KC players a reason to stick around. Drafting a rookie QB and developing him as they suck for another year or two was not acceptable to the coaches, players, or most fans. You want a good starting QB that knows a lil something about winning with a flawed team? Pay to get him... and KC did. Trade will be good for both, I suspect... but for now, clearly KC is ecstatic.
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Dec 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM ]
I'd say we did just fine with this trade.
Just wondering the general consensus on this. Alex Smith is having a career year numbers-wise - TD passes, passing yards, and yards per game - in 2013. KC is 11-3 and Alex's career win total and win % just keep climbing. And in that, I feel it begs the question: Did Alex warrant more than the 2013 2nd rnd pick and 2014 2nd/3rd rnd pick revisiting the subject now? Thoughts?

No. I'd say its about right.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Well, if you wanna know my opinion, I'm like, well, hell yeah the trade should've yielded more from a 49ers standpoint, especially since we have yet to really see a return on the transaction. But that's me being needy. And also, my knack for perceiving things in retrospect. Had anyone foreseen the effect Andy Reid and Alex would've had on the Chiefs turnaround, of course they would've demanded more, and rightly so. As it stands, the 49ers front office accepted the best deal on the table. Do I hold it against them? Yes, absolutely. In 2 years under the right regime, Alex killed the majority of his critics, won the hearts of doubters, AND after receiving tutelage in SF, he finds himself in a system that suits him even better. I feel the talent evaluators in SF should've been privy to the fact that Alex would be immensely beneficial to an Andy Reid screen-oriented offense, and in turn, pried a 1st round pick out of the deal. And again, that's me, and my perfect 20/20 hindsight vision. But still...damn...we've yet to see a return on the trade minus the cap space and moves made in lieu of.

Some very good insight here.

Andy Reid proved to have better insight into the value of Alex Smith than did anyone in the 49er organization. While Harbaugh was looking for a QB who could drive the ball down the field when his power running offense wouldn't work, and didn't think Smith could do that, Andy Reid saw Alex Smith as the perfect WCO QB for a KC team that had most of the other pieces in place to be a very good team. Since Harbaugh couldn't tell the WCO from the 1930s WPA, he had no idea as to the value of what he had right on his own roster. So while Baalke should have been able to get AT LEAST a 1st round pick for Smith, because he didn't know the value of what he had, Reid got his man for less than the Chiefs would have had to give otherwise for a top 10 NFL starting QB.

As of now, Alex Smith and the Chiefs are filling Arrowhead with happy fans while 49er fans are hoping Kaepernick can accelerate his learning process to make the most of the 49er roster and win the Super Bowl this year because anything less than a Super Bowl win this year will be considered a failed season.

All of this and that.

There were a handful of KC fans spewing the "we better win it all or this trade sux" mantra, but that's being horribly dense. The players and community needed to find its way back to winning football. They needed to put the butts in the seats and give the good KC players a reason to stick around. Drafting a rookie QB and developing him as they suck for another year or two was not acceptable to the coaches, players, or most fans. You want a good starting QB that knows a lil something about winning with a flawed team? Pay to get him... and KC did. Trade will be good for both, I suspect... but for now, clearly KC is ecstatic.

The irony of that was that the majority of Chiefs fans were hoping to use the #1 overall pick on Geno Smith. When the Alex Smith trade was announced, most of those bought into the "game manager" nonsense and just went ballistic over the trade. They HATED the deal.

Wonder how many of them would still prefer Geno over Alex?
God I wish we would have traded KAP! Coulda gotten a first and a 2nd from da cheifs
... Kap can make some throws Alex can't .. But I say Alex makes more throws Kap can't ..
KC and their O are starting to show! Think if he had a TE
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Just wondering the general consensus on this. Alex Smith is having a career year numbers-wise - TD passes, passing yards, and yards per game - in 2013. KC is 11-3 and Alex's career win total and win % just keep climbing. And in that, I feel it begs the question: Did Alex warrant more than the 2013 2nd rnd pick and 2014 2nd/3rd rnd pick revisiting the subject now? Thoughts?

You can't look back now and question whether the 49ers should have gotten more for Smith using his play from this year as a basis for the question/argument. Smith's value was determined at the time of the trade. As I recall, the strong consensus here and among the NFL commentators/experts was that the 49ers did very well in the trade, the Chiefs probably overpaid in acquiring Smith and that it showed how uninspiring the 2013 QB class was with the Chiefs having the top pick.

It also should come as no surprise that Smith would put up good numbers in Andy Reid's QB friendly offense. Reid made A.J. Feeley and Kevin Kolb look so good the Eagles were able to trade them for high draft picks. Lets also not forget that there have been plenty of games this year when Smith played exactly how he played here under Harbaugh, put up very similar numbers as he did here the last year and a half before his injury and the Chiefs won because of their defense and special teams with the offense doing just enough and not turning the ball over, not to mention the Chiefs having the benefit of a last place schedule.
Smith putting up points these days and winning DESPITE their D. If their d showed up in SD or Den they win , have one or 0 losses.
The irony of that was that the majority of Chiefs fans were hoping to use the #1 overall pick on Geno Smith. When the Alex Smith trade was announced, most of those bought into the "game manager" nonsense and just went ballistic over the trade. They HATED the deal.

Very few, from what I read. Not sure about majority for the underlined though. As it often was for SF fans... the majority was actually the minority.... that minority was just more vocal and crybabyish.. which made them seem like the majority.
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Dec 16, 2013 at 3:03 PM ]

Originally posted by matthewabbit:
Smith putting up points these days and winning DESPITE their D. If their d showed up in SD or Den they win , have one or 0 losses.

Pretty true here. ^
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Very few, from what I read. Not sure about majority for the underlined though. As it often was for SF fans... the majority was actually the minority.... that minority was just more vocal and crybabyish.. which made them seem like the majority.

story of the internets
Originally posted by 99problems:
This.
To get all that for a player that was probably gonna be released (nobody spends what was it 8 mill on a backup QB)

Great move
my thoughts exactly. everybody knew that he wouldnt be our starter and that we would think about releasing him due to high salary.

considered these issues I would say it is a win-win.
Originally posted by vaden:
story of the internets

lol... definitely true.
Trading Smith made Q possible from a cap perspective .
Share 49ersWebzone