LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

KC: steal of the offseason?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Even Nick Foles threw for a gazillion touchdowns (7 to be exact) against those effin Faders. I should have known!
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Dec 16, 2013 at 7:49 AM ]
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
I wouldn't say STEAL OF THE SEASON. I think it was a great trade by both teams. Alex is playing really well, but they did give up two 2nd round picks, which is no small amount.

Alex unfairly gets all the credit for the Chiefs turnaround too. That's coming from an Alex fan too. Just like QB's unfairly get blamed for every loss, they unfairly get credit for every win. Alex is playing lights out, but he's not the sole reason the chiefs are so good this season, regardless of what the pundits say.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Even Nick Foles threw for a gazillion touchdowns (7 to be exact) against those effin Faders. I should have known!

even?

umm Nick Foles is a franchise QB.
It was a good deal for both teams. The Niners didn't just give him away. Don't believe it was a steal either way.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

even?

Hard not to agree there. Only Peyton has thrown more TDs than N.Foles w/o throwing a pick to begin a season. Philly will only continue to improve.
I think we got the right value for him. When giving draft grades teams grade generally as follows:
1st round - immediate starter out of college(meaning raw out of college they are going to make just as much of an impact as a seasoned vet) with the skill set and athleticism to become an all-pro/pro-bowl at their respective position.
2nd round - impact role player first year, usually lacking in something, (needs a year in a strength program to fill out the frame, has to learn the game a little more, work on mechanics) but looking for a 2nd or at most 3rd year starter.
3rd round - role player who will probably develop into a quality starter
4th round - special teams type player who is lacking from a physical standpoint to develop into a full time starter
5th round - looking for someone who could develop into a quality backup
6th round - Someone who has is severely lacking in one or more areas but has the potential to turn into a quality player in the right environment
7th round - Similar to 6th but usually from a smaller school so there's more of a mystery.

In that, think about the values given to a guy like Anquan Boldin - in the prime of his career he got traded to Baltimore for a 3rd round pick. Last year we picked him up for a 6th round pick.

Darrelle Revis was given a 1st round pick valuation(immediate starter who becomes all-pro)

Yes the QB position is more valuable than the others, but, I think the 2nd round pick valuation is right with the extra pick for the value of a QB.
Originally posted by fryet:
It should also be noted that the 49ers got the first pick in the 2nd round (at least I think that is the case). So it was basically a 1st round pick anyway. KC still won on the deal, but realistically, the 49ers could not have gotten a better deal.

There was little chance the 49ers could have gotten better picks from the Chiefs because they would likely deem the 1st overall pick as too valuable, but if the 49ers held the line, maybe another team would jump in and offer out right a first round pick. It could be that the 49ers FO respected Smith for his very professional handling of the demotion, and thought the team ought to make a fair trade instead of hanging/hoping for a better deal. It could also be that the pay-or-cut deadline was coming up forcing the 49ers to pull the trigger.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
KC got a great QB, we got a couple high picks. i think alex was the best offseason addition by anyone but Boldin has to be 2nd on that list. dude has been making a huge impact since game one and we got him for a late pick that wouldve had a hard time making the team anyway

Not only that, but we were able to use the Smith money to pay Boldin. They were not going to retain Smith regardless, so anything they got for him was a win. I remember the prevailing opinion being that KC got fleeced. I am glad it worked out well for both teams ... the way it should be. And I am really happy for Alex, he deserved to land someplace good.
That would entirely depend if KC wins any playoff games because they haven't won a playoff game since Joe freakin Montana was QB. Before that, the last time they won a playoff game was the Super Bowl season in '69! I would assume this trade for two high picks was a move to win-now, and it appears they're doing so, but I need to see them come playoff time.
Originally posted by English:
And where are all the posters who were saying we would be lucky to get a 5th for him? You remember, the ones who exploded with abuse if anyone suggested we might get a 1st or 2nd for him?

They are the people calling it the worse 5 TD performance ever.

Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
KC got a great QB, we got a couple high picks. i think alex was the best offseason addition by anyone but Boldin has to be 2nd on that list. dude has been making a huge impact since game one and we got him for a late pick that wouldve had a hard time making the team anyway

Not only that, but we were able to use the Smith money to pay Boldin. They were not going to retain Smith regardless, so anything they got for him was a win. I remember the prevailing opinion being that KC got fleeced. I am glad it worked out well for both teams ... the way it should be. And I am really happy for Alex, he deserved to land someplace good.

ya im happy for the guy, i would rather he have his success next year so our pick doesnt keep getting worse but im happy for him either way. went to a good team and hes getting the respect he should get as a good qb
  • dj43
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Got to remember that 2013 2nd round pick got traded down frm #34 to#40 got us tank N a 2014 3rd round pick... so basically we got 2 2nd round N a 3rd round pick plus almost 9million in free up cap space ....

That is a good deal ONLY if Carradine turns out to be at least a SOLID starter. As of now, all the 49ers got was cap space. If those picks don't turn out, this will be considered a TERRIBLE trade. So while that is unlikely, it is impossible to say whether or not the 49ers received value for Alex Smith.
Originally posted by boast:
even?

I'd take him over CK every time.
Originally posted by dj43:
That is a good deal ONLY if Carradine turns out to be at least a SOLID starter. As of now, all the 49ers got was cap space. If those picks don't turn out, this will be considered a TERRIBLE trade. So while that is unlikely, it is impossible to say whether or not the 49ers received value for Alex Smith.

No. Only with the benefit of hindsight.
  • dj43
Originally posted by daWest:
Well, if you wanna know my opinion, I'm like, well, hell yeah the trade should've yielded more from a 49ers standpoint, especially since we have yet to really see a return on the transaction. But that's me being needy. And also, my knack for perceiving things in retrospect. Had anyone foreseen the effect Andy Reid and Alex would've had on the Chiefs turnaround, of course they would've demanded more, and rightly so. As it stands, the 49ers front office accepted the best deal on the table. Do I hold it against them? Yes, absolutely. In 2 years under the right regime, Alex killed the majority of his critics, won the hearts of doubters, AND after receiving tutelage in SF, he finds himself in a system that suits him even better. I feel the talent evaluators in SF should've been privy to the fact that Alex would be immensely beneficial to an Andy Reid screen-oriented offense, and in turn, pried a 1st round pick out of the deal. And again, that's me, and my perfect 20/20 hindsight vision. But still...damn...we've yet to see a return on the trade minus the cap space and moves made in lieu of.

Some very good insight here.

Andy Reid proved to have better insight into the value of Alex Smith than did anyone in the 49er organization. While Harbaugh was looking for a QB who could drive the ball down the field when his power running offense wouldn't work, and didn't think Smith could do that, Andy Reid saw Alex Smith as the perfect WCO QB for a KC team that had most of the other pieces in place to be a very good team. Since Harbaugh couldn't tell the WCO from the 1930s WPA, he had no idea as to the value of what he had right on his own roster. So while Baalke should have been able to get AT LEAST a 1st round pick for Smith, because he didn't know the value of what he had, Reid got his man for less than the Chiefs would have had to give otherwise for a top 10 NFL starting QB.

As of now, Alex Smith and the Chiefs are filling Arrowhead with happy fans while 49er fans are hoping Kaepernick can accelerate his learning process to make the most of the 49er roster and win the Super Bowl this year because anything less than a Super Bowl win this year will be considered a failed season.
[ Edited by dj43 on Dec 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone