There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

KC: steal of the offseason?

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
I love the talk of "Alex can't win you a super bowl alone. He needs a great defense and a decent run game!" Welcome to the NFL! Pretty much every team needs that. Peyton has 1 super bowl, and he had a run game but not the great defense. Brees has one super bowl, with some question marks on D...but he beat Peyton's low-D squad to get it. Rodgers got one in the year his D played great. Brady stopped winning them when his D and run game dried up, but got 3 with coaching and defense and timely kicking. Big Ben has 2 on the strength of his D. Flacco got one the same way. Eli got 2 with his D controlling Brady. Brad Johnson got one, thanks to his D. Same with Dilfer.

You know what kind of QB wins super bowls? The kind with a good D and a solid running game, who does enough to chalk up the W at the end of the day. Of the last 13 SB champs, only 2 or 3 don't really fit that mold and one of those was 2 similar teams facing off. You want to win a super bowl? Build a great D and find a QB who knows how to win/doesn't lose you the game.

Truth

Also can help to not have to pay 20+ million to that QB.

What a difference a day makes! Yesterday all the posts were about how bad Smith is...LOL! Some folks are so set on their old ways.

I've never seen a QB win a game by himself, let alone win a Super Bowl...but I have seen teams win games. Almost every QB in the NFL is capable of winning the Super Bowl if the team around him is good enough and the coaching is as well. Smith is in the upper half of NFL QBs so he could definitely win. The only question I have...will the D hold up and are the receivers and line good enough against the best teams. Oddly, I see the Chiefs in a similar position as the niners...great coaching, great defense, excellent QBs but some questions at receiver and on the OLine.

Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning , Kurt Warner are the most recent...The others was a pass game and a defense without a run game.

If they do get close..AS will need to pass more to WR's then RBs
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning , Kurt Warner are the most recent...The others was a pass game and a defense without a run game.

If they do get close..AS will need to pass more to WR's then RBs

Why? You think they'll need more than five TDs?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning , Kurt Warner are the most recent...The others was a pass game and a defense without a run game.

If they do get close..AS will need to pass more to WR's then RBs

Why? You think they'll need more than five TDs?
because thats what happens in the playoffs....you will need to over come

and dont fool yourself in thinking they are a high powered offense
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning , Kurt Warner are the most recent...The others was a pass game and a defense without a run game.

If they do get close..AS will need to pass more to WR's then RBs

Why? You think they'll need more than five TDs?
because thats what happens in the playoffs....you will need to over come

and dont fool yourself in thinking they are a high powered offense

No, but they don't have KW returning punts.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning , Kurt Warner are the most recent...The others was a pass game and a defense without a run game.

If they do get close..AS will need to pass more to WR's then RBs

Why? You think they'll need more than five TDs?
because thats what happens in the playoffs....you will need to over come

and dont fool yourself in thinking they are a high powered offense

No, but they don't have KW returning punts.
They almost did, lol...they do have KWs mojo on the sidelines
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
They almost did, lol...they do have KWs mojo on the sidelines

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Whoa. I always wondered what happened to oldman9er... Glad you're still around!



Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Reid is nowhere without Alex Smith. Insert the clown they had at QB last year and you are looking at 2 - 14. Alex is playing the best ball of his entire career. Better than even for us the last few years. Give him some credit.

At first, I was inclined to agree with his sentiment... but you do make a good point. If Reid were starting Cassell, you are very likely looking at a 5-9 team at best. People dump on the first half-of-season KC offense... but it was a significant help in winning games just by (a) taking care of the ball .. and (b) putting together critical scoring drives +/or time-consuming 4th quarter drives to finish opponents off. That's not Cassell... you need the right QB for that.

QB is a big part of it. And Alex is really playing well. Better than the Alex of 2011 or 2012 even. This is the best Alex I have ever seen. Honestly I didn't know he could be this good. He has grown and gotten better it seems every year. Of course it did take him a long time to learn.... But when he finally got there you have to admit he is much better than he used to be. Plus a big part of their success.

If Norv Turner didn't leave for the SD head coaching job, who knows what would have happened.

Amen. Alex is talented. You don't win that many games over the last two years by luck.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Amen. Alex is talented. You don't win that many games over the last two years by luck.
He is smart and he makes great decisions. He will always make the right play a very high percentage of the time
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning , Kurt Warner are the most recent...The others was a pass game and a defense without a run game.

If they do get close..AS will need to pass more to WR's then RBs
qb, as well the trenches, is a very important part of the team but a qb cannot overcome every weakness. otherwise, we would see brees, rodgers or peyton in SBs very often.
green bay was limited last season, same goes for the saints. the colts were not very good in the playoffs overall, given their level of Talent back then.

it is still team sports.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning , Kurt Warner are the most recent...The others was a pass game and a defense without a run game.

If they do get close..AS will need to pass more to WR's then RBs
qb, as well the trenches, is a very important part of the team but a qb cannot overcome every weakness. otherwise, we would see brees, rodgers or peyton in SBs very often.
green bay was limited last season, same goes for the saints. the colts were not very good in the playoffs overall, given their level of Talent back then.

it is still team sports.

What is this "team sport" you speak of? I thought it was supposed to be one or two people and a bunch of towel boys wiping up sweat. Jordan and Pippen, Kobe and Shaq, Kobe, King James, King James, King James...
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Whoa. I always wondered what happened to oldman9er... Glad you're still around!



Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Reid is nowhere without Alex Smith. Insert the clown they had at QB last year and you are looking at 2 - 14. Alex is playing the best ball of his entire career. Better than even for us the last few years. Give him some credit.

At first, I was inclined to agree with his sentiment... but you do make a good point. If Reid were starting Cassell, you are very likely looking at a 5-9 team at best. People dump on the first half-of-season KC offense... but it was a significant help in winning games just by (a) taking care of the ball .. and (b) putting together critical scoring drives +/or time-consuming 4th quarter drives to finish opponents off. That's not Cassell... you need the right QB for that.

QB is a big part of it. And Alex is really playing well. Better than the Alex of 2011 or 2012 even. This is the best Alex I have ever seen. Honestly I didn't know he could be this good. He has grown and gotten better it seems every year. Of course it did take him a long time to learn.... But when he finally got there you have to admit he is much better than he used to be. Plus a big part of their success.

If Norv Turner didn't leave for the SD head coaching job, who knows what would have happened.

Amen. Alex is talented. You don't win that many games over the last two years by luck.

Akers should get credit
  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,925
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
You know, we have been having this debate for the longest and im just gonna call it like it is.

1. Honestly Smith would be more of a ready for the SB QB than Kaep (my opinion). Smith took us to 13-3, and the divisional championship after the catch 2. Everyone's talking well if Smith would of played this better, or that. Then I in turn say ok, it is ok to say that, then make sure we say the same about Kaep. That had Kaep made noise the first half before the blackout, then we might have won. See what I did there, talked about both, and the main conclusion is that until either QB wins the SB neither is actually a SB winning QB. Someone said it before, gotta win one, to be a SB QB first off. While I do see what you did there. unfortunately, its not he same. Smith playing better would mean actually converting a 3rd down. Kaep playing better is scoreing more than 30ish points to make up for the defense.

2. Remember when soo many would doubt Smith, and literally tear down everything about him, and constantly on what he cant do. NOw and im not saying any names, i love when people now say something negative, then am like I was one of the main ones pulling for Smith. Not saying any names, but some of you guys are full of crap. When u come into this thread, and say something negative, when it's a positive Smith thread or how KC got a good deal, then it's why u jumping on me, i was his biggest supporter, lmao. I think it was a win win deal. KC gets an above average starter for 2 2nds and we get 2 2nds for someone we would have cut if no trade partners arose.

3. Kaep did take us to the SB, but how fast many forget he took over a 6-2 team, not necessarily too shabby. I mean a winning record like that, and thats when u take over. s**t. i would of been happy as hell if i was a QB, and I helped take our team to the SB. Whats funny tho, is many act like Kaep got us there, all on his own, and completely negate the fact that Smith helped him get there. While he may have learned how to play QB from Alex. he didn't go in and play alex's style. Thank goodness

4. Smith helped lead KC to a playoff spot, and now Kaep is trying to lead us to a playoff spot. 1 QB lost in the divisionals, and 1 QB lost the SB. Now that they both are leading their respective teams, now lets see what they do. Lets see if Smith can make it past the division and gets to the SB. Or lets see if kaep can help lead us back to the SB. Andy Reid made an overrated Mcnabb a household name. Got Kevin Kolb paid!. made koy detmer serviceable. had a washed up Garcia get him to the playoffs. just saying!

Very interesting times fellas, but honestly you shouldnt belittle either QB. Kaep hasnt shown anything to call him a SB winning QB, just ask Jaws, when he said Kaep would finish being the best in the league. Wow was that a crazy statement. Let him get 3-5 SB's like Montana or Brady, to talk about SB QB's. Smith yes has gone back the post season, now lets see how far he can go. I'm pulling for both to succeed, and would love a KC & SF SB. Would be one of the best yet.

just my two cents

...
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
You know, we have been having this debate for the longest and im just gonna call it like it is.

1. Honestly Smith would be more of a ready for the SB QB than Kaep (my opinion). Smith took us to 13-3, and the divisional championship after the catch 2. Everyone's talking well if Smith would of played this better, or that. Then I in turn say ok, it is ok to say that, then make sure we say the same about Kaep. That had Kaep made noise the first half before the blackout, then we might have won. See what I did there, talked about both, and the main conclusion is that until either QB wins the SB neither is actually a SB winning QB. Someone said it before, gotta win one, to be a SB QB first off. While I do see what you did there. unfortunately, its not he same. Smith playing better would mean actually converting a 3rd down. Kaep playing better is scoreing more than 30ish points to make up for the defense.

2. Remember when soo many would doubt Smith, and literally tear down everything about him, and constantly on what he cant do. NOw and im not saying any names, i love when people now say something negative, then am like I was one of the main ones pulling for Smith. Not saying any names, but some of you guys are full of crap. When u come into this thread, and say something negative, when it's a positive Smith thread or how KC got a good deal, then it's why u jumping on me, i was his biggest supporter, lmao. I think it was a win win deal. KC gets an above average starter for 2 2nds and we get 2 2nds for someone we would have cut if no trade partners arose.

3. Kaep did take us to the SB, but how fast many forget he took over a 6-2 team, not necessarily too shabby. I mean a winning record like that, and thats when u take over. s**t. i would of been happy as hell if i was a QB, and I helped take our team to the SB. Whats funny tho, is many act like Kaep got us there, all on his own, and completely negate the fact that Smith helped him get there. While he may have learned how to play QB from Alex. he didn't go in and play alex's style. Thank goodness

4. Smith helped lead KC to a playoff spot, and now Kaep is trying to lead us to a playoff spot. 1 QB lost in the divisionals, and 1 QB lost the SB. Now that they both are leading their respective teams, now lets see what they do. Lets see if Smith can make it past the division and gets to the SB. Or lets see if kaep can help lead us back to the SB. Andy Reid made an overrated Mcnabb a household name. Got Kevin Kolb paid!. made koy detmer serviceable. had a washed up Garcia get him to the playoffs. just saying!

Very interesting times fellas, but honestly you shouldnt belittle either QB. Kaep hasnt shown anything to call him a SB winning QB, just ask Jaws, when he said Kaep would finish being the best in the league. Wow was that a crazy statement. Let him get 3-5 SB's like Montana or Brady, to talk about SB QB's. Smith yes has gone back the post season, now lets see how far he can go. I'm pulling for both to succeed, and would love a KC & SF SB. Would be one of the best yet.

just my two cents

...

Good points K, some people still don't get it
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Whoa. I always wondered what happened to oldman9er... Glad you're still around!



Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Reid is nowhere without Alex Smith. Insert the clown they had at QB last year and you are looking at 2 - 14. Alex is playing the best ball of his entire career. Better than even for us the last few years. Give him some credit.

At first, I was inclined to agree with his sentiment... but you do make a good point. If Reid were starting Cassell, you are very likely looking at a 5-9 team at best. People dump on the first half-of-season KC offense... but it was a significant help in winning games just by (a) taking care of the ball .. and (b) putting together critical scoring drives +/or time-consuming 4th quarter drives to finish opponents off. That's not Cassell... you need the right QB for that.

QB is a big part of it. And Alex is really playing well. Better than the Alex of 2011 or 2012 even. This is the best Alex I have ever seen. Honestly I didn't know he could be this good. He has grown and gotten better it seems every year. Of course it did take him a long time to learn.... But when he finally got there you have to admit he is much better than he used to be. Plus a big part of their success.

If Norv Turner didn't leave for the SD head coaching job, who knows what would have happened.

Amen. Alex is talented. You don't win that many games over the last two years by luck.

Akers should get credit

like dawson this year--where would niners be without those 25 straight field goals
The best kind of trade is when both sides win. You don't want to trick teams and laugh to the bank.

We'll be working with the Chiefs more often as the years go on imo.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM ]