There are 321 users in the forums

KC: steal of the offseason?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Absolutely. The first half of the season, I saw the growing pains of a yr 1 offense all over again... just like 2011. As the OL (and really, overall system comfort-level) improved, Alex has quickly stepped into his 2012 self.. and really more, now that he is being given the time to be more aggressive with downfield throws. This offense is progressing, and it would so much better still if KC wasn't top 5 in receiver drops and O-penalties. Now, if they can just get a good #2 receiver opposite of Bowe and get healthy at TE? Oh my...

Do you think Hemingway will reach that number two spot? I really like that guy and hope he develops.
As I said before all the trials and tribulations and steps back he had to take because of the revolving door of OC's and offensive systems he had to endure have created a unique QB skill-set foundation for Alex. As a result his decision making and football IQ have improved tremendously. He was able to adapt faster to Reid's system and it's showing in his play today. If everything goes well health wise, imagine the type of QB he's going to be with Reid in KC two years from now, especially if they get some better WR options.
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Dec 19, 2013 at 7:07 AM ]
Originally posted by swayze:
somebody tweet Jed and make sure we get a couch this offseason

Hey, I don't have a great couch but I did stay at a Holiday Inn! You got me!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Whoa. I always wondered what happened to oldman9er... Glad you're still around!

Reid is nowhere without Alex Smith. Insert the clown they had at QB last year and you are looking at 2 - 14. Alex is playing the best ball of his entire career. Better than even for us the last few years. Give him some credit.

At first, I was inclined to agree with his sentiment... but you do make a good point. If Reid were starting Cassell, you are very likely looking at a 5-9 team at best. People dump on the first half-of-season KC offense... but it was a significant help in winning games just by (a) taking care of the ball .. and (b) putting together critical scoring drives +/or time-consuming 4th quarter drives to finish opponents off. That's not Cassell... you need the right QB for that.

QB is a big part of it. And Alex is really playing well. Better than the Alex of 2011 or 2012 even. This is the best Alex I have ever seen. Honestly I didn't know he could be this good. He has grown and gotten better it seems every year. Of course it did take him a long time to learn.... But when he finally got there you have to admit he is much better than he used to be. Plus a big part of their success.

If Norv Turner didn't leave for the SD head coaching job, who knows what would have happened.
Originally posted by fastforward:

Reid is nowhere without Alex Smith. Insert the clown they had at QB last year and you are looking at 2 - 14. Alex is playing the best ball of his entire career. Better than even for us the last few years. Give him some credit.

At first, I was inclined to agree with his sentiment... but you do make a good point. If Reid were starting Cassell, you are very likely looking at a 5-9 team at best. People dump on the first half-of-season KC offense... but it was a significant help in winning games just by (a) taking care of the ball .. and (b) putting together critical scoring drives +/or time-consuming 4th quarter drives to finish opponents off. That's not Cassell... you need the right QB for that.

QB is a big part of it. And Alex is really playing well. Better than the Alex of 2011 or 2012 even. This is the best Alex I have ever seen. Honestly I didn't know he could be this good. He has grown and gotten better it seems every year. Of course it did take him a long time to learn.... But when he finally got there you have to admit he is much better than he used to be. Plus a big part of their success.

If Norv Turner didn't leave for the SD head coaching job, who knows what would have happened.

frank gore 2000 rushing yards in a season would have happened.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Do you think Hemingway will reach that number two spot? I really like that guy and hope he develops.

Eh... too hard to say, really. My guess is no. No one has really seen enough of him on the field. Hemingway has good hands, and has looked good in the little time he has seen... but he lacks speed. For an ideal situation, you would easily want someone with speed and separation skills to be the # 2 across from Bowe.. who has his own separation/speed issues. A prospect like Odell Beckham Jr. or Marqise Lee would likely be a great target for KC.. or SF. Avery has another season on his contract. He has speed... but man, he has been very inconsistent and often gimpy. I would rather see him get pushed to # 3 to finish out his contract.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
As I said before all the trials and tribulations and steps back he had to take because of the revolving door of OC's and offensive systems he had to endure have created a unique QB skill-set foundation for Alex. As a result his decision making and football IQ have improved tremendously. He was able to adapt faster to Reid's system and it's showing in his play today. If everything goes well health wise, imagine the type of QB he's going to be with Reid in KC two years from now, especially if they get some better WR options.

There is a lot of truth to that.
A San Francisco, Kansas City Super bowl would be incredible. A story for the ages.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by fastforward:

frank gore 2000 rushing yards in a season would have happened.

With Norv Turner taking the head coaching job and further destroying the franchise.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
A San Francisco, Kansas City Super bowl would be incredible. A story for the ages.

I always get nervous watching the niners...not sure that game wouldn't kill me! LOL! Might be worth it!

poor chad hall..got resigned last week when mccluster sat out raiders game with infection--had at least 1 catch and gets cut this week
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
I love the talk of "Alex can't win you a super bowl alone. He needs a great defense and a decent run game!" Welcome to the NFL! Pretty much every team needs that. Peyton has 1 super bowl, and he had a run game but not the great defense. Brees has one super bowl, with some question marks on D...but he beat Peyton's low-D squad to get it. Rodgers got one in the year his D played great. Brady stopped winning them when his D and run game dried up, but got 3 with coaching and defense and timely kicking. Big Ben has 2 on the strength of his D. Flacco got one the same way. Eli got 2 with his D controlling Brady. Brad Johnson got one, thanks to his D. Same with Dilfer.

You know what kind of QB wins super bowls? The kind with a good D and a solid running game, who does enough to chalk up the W at the end of the day. Of the last 13 SB champs, only 2 or 3 don't really fit that mold and one of those was 2 similar teams facing off. You want to win a super bowl? Build a great D and find a QB who knows how to win/doesn't lose you the game.

Truth
Originally posted by captveg:
I love the talk of "Alex can't win you a super bowl alone. He needs a great defense and a decent run game!" Welcome to the NFL! Pretty much every team needs that. Peyton has 1 super bowl, and he had a run game but not the great defense. Brees has one super bowl, with some question marks on D...but he beat Peyton's low-D squad to get it. Rodgers got one in the year his D played great. Brady stopped winning them when his D and run game dried up, but got 3 with coaching and defense and timely kicking. Big Ben has 2 on the strength of his D. Flacco got one the same way. Eli got 2 with his D controlling Brady. Brad Johnson got one, thanks to his D. Same with Dilfer.

You know what kind of QB wins super bowls? The kind with a good D and a solid running game, who does enough to chalk up the W at the end of the day. Of the last 13 SB champs, only 2 or 3 don't really fit that mold and one of those was 2 similar teams facing off. You want to win a super bowl? Build a great D and find a QB who knows how to win/doesn't lose you the game.

Truth

Also can help to not have to pay 20+ million to that QB.

Truth

What a difference a day makes! Yesterday all the posts were about how bad Smith is...LOL! Some folks are so set on their old ways.

I've never seen a QB win a game by himself, let alone win a Super Bowl...but I have seen teams win games. Almost every QB in the NFL is capable of winning the Super Bowl if the team around him is good enough and the coaching is as well. Smith is in the upper half of NFL QBs so he could definitely win. The only question I have...will the D hold up and are the receivers and line good enough against the best teams. Oddly, I see the Chiefs in a similar position as the niners...great coaching, great defense, excellent QBs but some questions at receiver and on the OLine.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Truth

What a difference a day makes! Yesterday all the posts were about how bad Smith is...LOL! Some folks are so set on their old ways.

I've never seen a QB win a game by himself, let alone win a Super Bowl...but I have seen teams win games. Almost every QB in the NFL is capable of winning the Super Bowl if the team around him is good enough and the coaching is as well. Smith is in the upper half of NFL QBs so he could definitely win. The only question I have...will the D hold up and are the receivers and line good enough against the best teams. Oddly, I see the Chiefs in a similar position as the niners...great coaching, great defense, excellent QBs but some questions at receiver and on the OLine.

Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning , Kurt Warner are the most recent...The others was a pass game and a defense without a run game.

If they do get close..AS will need to pass more to WR's then RBs
Share 49ersWebzone