There are 118 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

GOAT: Peyton Manning vs Joe Montana comparison threads

Joe and it's really not that close. I do think Peyton redefined the QB position somewhat by making the position much more cerebral (switching plays at the line, essentially being your own coordinator, etc) but "greatest ever?" I don't think so. Definitely top 5 but not greatest ever. There were quite a few guys in the 80s and 90s and even recently that put up good numbers, piled up regular season wins, and even got into the playoffs only to get consistently eliminated and/or maybe squeak one SB win out. I wouldn't consider any of them "greatest ever." Favre, Gannon, Esiason, McNair, Jake Plummer, Warren Moon, McNabb, Jim Everett (softer example), Dave Krieg, Roman Gabriel (way back), Sonny Jurgenson, JIM KELLY, Tarkenton, and............MARINO.
I read a comment in one of the forums that stood out-
"Montana played in a time when quarterbacks were still football players", think about that one for a second. Think about the hits that Joe took thoughout his career. Then look at the call Brees got this season. That was not a football call but an entertainment value call of the new NFL.
I think Peyton will go down as the best regular season QB of all time.

I wouldn't take post-spygate Brady, period.
Joe Montana is the greatest QB in NFL history.

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning can argue over whos the best of that generation, but they both fall short of the GOAT.

Montana didnt lose Super Bowls, and he didnt throw Super Bowl picks. He wasnt a pretty boy or a media darling. He wasnt protected by the new rules that make touching a QB illegal. He took a beating, and never complained.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning can argue over whos the best of that generation, but they both fall short of the GOAT.

Montana didnt lose Super Bowls, and he didnt throw Super Bowl picks. He wasnt a pretty boy or a media darling. He wasnt protected by the new rules that make touching a QB illegal. He took a beating, and never complained.
How many more rings would he have if he would have been protected like the Big 4 are today? He would have run out of fingers.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Dec 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

How many more rings would he have if he would have been protected like the Big 4 are today? He would have run out of fingers.

He shouldve had 2 more regardless. 1987 and 1990 shouldve been our years. 4 straight!

Steve Young once said in an interview that the toughest player he ever played with was Joe Montana. That his body was not built for football, and he took so many shots that he shouldve been down and out many times. Young said he was shocked at how much of a beating Montana took and yet continued to play through the pain.

If he had gotten the Tom Brady treatment from the refs, imagine the advantage for us. Montana with a healthy back and elbow, well into the 1990's...

He shouldve had 2 more regardless. 1987 and 1990 shouldve been our years. 4 straight!

Steve Young once said in an interview that the toughest player he ever played with was Joe Montana. That his body was not built for football, and he took so many shots that he shouldve been down and out many times. Young said he was shocked at how much of a beating Montana took and yet continued to play through the pain.

If he had gotten the Tom Brady treatment from the refs, imagine the advantage for us. Montana with a healthy back and elbow, well into the 1990's...
1987 yes, but the 1990 season would have been Steve Young's SB win.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Mechanically speaking its hard to find a better thrower than Peyton. He's like a god damn robot out there lol. But Montana has that "IT" factor like nobody else.

Its why you cant really compare stats.
This again. LOL
peyton manning is the greatest regular season QB of all time.
"Montana played in a time when quarterbacks were still football players", think about that one for a second. Think about the hits that Joe took thoughout his career. Then look at the call Brees got this season. That was not a football call but an entertainment value call of the new NFL.

Ding Ding Ding

I really want to see Manning vs the Smith brothers, Brooks and Willis though.

He's got nothing on Joe.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
peyton manning is the greatest regular season QB of all time.

This. I'll give him the tegular season but anybody who says he's the GOAT doesn't know football. It took Manning forever just to win a playoff game. Montana isn't even comparable.

I know people wanna be like it takes luck and a good team blah blah blah to win a SB but Manning was directly the cause of them losing one and a bunch of other playoff games. His one SB win was against a Grossman led Bears team. If it weren't for him being able to throw for a gajillion TDs during the reg season I'm not even sure he'd be top 5. Even with that I find it difficult to put him in my top 5.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by scrubisme:

Ding Ding Ding

I really want to see Manning vs the Smith brothers, Brooks and Willis though.

He's got nothing on Joe.

I think this is a good point as well. QBs past 2000 shouldn't be compared to earlier qbs because of how much the rules encourage and aid good qb play. When we talk about goats I think the conversation is more interesting if you compare qbs pre 2000 and the qbs post 2000 but not comparing them together because the benefit of the doubt should always do to pre 2000 qbs.