There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

GOAT: Peyton Manning vs Joe Montana comparison threads

I would encourage Niner fans to check these threads out to see how fans from other teams compare these QB's, along with Brady, for the position of GOAT -

From Patsfans.com
Is this even a fair question or is Peyton Manning so thoroughly out classed by Joe Montana's achievements that to even mention them together is completely laughable considering Peyton Manning's abysmal post season record?

Further more, if it is a laughable absurdity to compare Peyton Manning against Joe Montana, based on their accomplishments, is it fair to say that Peyton Manning actually piggy-backs on Tom Brady's shoulders into the GOAT conversation due to them being compared as the two best of their generation?

I think that's an interesting point that I never see raised anywhere.

Tom Brady can be compared to Joe Montana.
Montana: 4 Superbowl championships and 16 post season victories.
Brady: 3 Superbowl rings, 5 Superbowl appearances, 17 post season wins.

Peyton Manning.... simply cannot.

Montana: 4 Superbowl championships and 16 post season victories.
Manning: 1 Superbowl Championship, 2 Superbowl appearances, most first round post season eliminations by a starting quarterback.

Peyton Manning leeches his way on Tom Brady into the best of all time discussion.

He really has no business being there at all, and were he not compared to Brady, by virtue of their team and generational rivalry, he wouldn't be in that discussion at all.

Fair statement?

Or can you argue Peyton is in Montana's league without invoking Tom Terrific as a bridge to get him there?
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/1080604-peyton-manning-vrs-joe-montana.html

And this one from philadelphiaeagles.com-

I always thought Montana was the best QB I ever seen now I think Manning-

I have watched 3 Bronco games this year and Manning is just flat out awesome He has been the guy in Denver and to come back from neck surgery and play out of his mind at 37 years old he is tops in my book
http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/topic/677791-i-always-thought-montana-was-the-best-qb-i-ever-seen-now-i-think-manni/

Denverbroncos.com
Is Peyton Manning the GOAT?
I've watched Elway. I've watched Marino. I've watched Montana and Brady, et al. I can say with honesty, I have never seen a QB like Peyton Manning. We truly are blessed, even if only for a few season, to have who I believe is the greatest QB of all time.

Agree?
http://forums.denverbroncos.com/printthread.php?t=216509&pp=40&page=4
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Dec 15, 2013 at 10:47 PM ]
Joe Montana

HANDS DOWN!!!
the fact that manning's broncos lost to brady a few weeks back is f**king embarrassing.

the broncos are loaded with talent and the pats are so depleted with injuries everywhere.

manning is top 5 no doubt. brady and montana are a cut above
Manning? Seriously?

Just ............ no. No explanation, no discussion needed.

No.

Might be interesting comparing Manning with Steve Young though.
montana 4 superbowl wins, ZERO INTs in the superbowl and didnt need a kicker to win the game for him. plus countless other clutch performances and 4th quarter comebacks and blowouts against some teams that were supposed to pound our little "finesse" team. Montana>everyone else
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
It's not even worth comparing - you put Montana at his prime into the league today and it would be embarrassing for every team he faced. The rules protecting the QB now, the PI rules, everything friendly for the aerial offense - Joe would be slicing and dicing every team he came up against.

He probably wouldn't put up Peyton numbers, but he'd almost never lose and I mean that literally. He'd be 14-0 if he was Qbing the Bronco's right now, and the points against them would be much better too because Joe would be running the clock down every offensive drive.
With the rules that currently exist protecting WR & QB - Manning is getting a pass.

Montana by a landslide.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
With the rules that currently exist protecting WR & QB - Manning is getting a pass.

Montana by a landslide.

and he'll STILL choke.
Then again, Manning NEVER had the defense that Montana had throughout all those years. And he's not getting it in Denver too. Pour soul.
Peyton Manning is the greatest regular season quarterback of all time.

That's about as far as I'm willing to go.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

In warm weather!
there is no comparison. throw on the tapes of every one of their playoff games. you'll notice a huge difference.
Montana=Brady>Manning
Originally posted by robniner:
Joe Montana

HANDS DOWN!!!

This, go niners
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

In warm weather!

And against teams not named the Patriots. lol