LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 198 users in the forums

josh mccown looks familar

Shop 49ers game tickets
is he the same guy the niners signed while he was coaching high school football a few years back...

it also appears marc trestman has learned something about a passing game since being the o.c. for the niners
Originally posted by hofer36:
is he the same guy the niners signed while he was coaching high school football a few years back...

it also appears marc trestman has learned something about a passing game since being the o.c. for the niners

Passing game was never really the problem when trestman was OC (JR had one of his best seasons in '95, trestman made even Grbac look good when he had to start, and of course Young was still Young when healthy). What got trestman canned was the running game and the team never being able to replace Watters from 95-96...ironic that it was too late by the time garrison Hearst was signed, Seifert regime had already given way to Mooch
Almost 20 yrz later u would hope he N others would learn more.... lol...

U wot mate?

49ers had the #1 passing offense under Trestman. Jerry Rice had the single best season of his career with Trestman calling the plays. And he was the only 49ers OC of that era to get it done without the benefit of a running game. BRB, going from Roger Craig to Ricky Watters to...........Derek Loville?
  • kray28
  • Veteran

Marc Trestman on his worst day could draw up a better passing game than Greg Roman.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Passing game was never really the problem when trestman was OC (JR had one of his best seasons in '95, trestman made even Grbac look good when he had to start, and of course Young was still Young when healthy). What got trestman canned was the running game and the team never being able to replace Watters from 95-96...ironic that it was too late by the time garrison Hearst was signed, Seifert regime had already given way to Mooch

That was two wasted years searching for a replacement for Watters....and yeah, by the time they got Hearst, Seifert was gone.
San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said Friday that new Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman "taught me everything" when they were on the Oakland Raiders coaching staff, and he still uses many of Trestman's techniques.

San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh joined "Waddle & Silvy" and discusses the impact Marc Trestman had on his coaching career. "Everything wouldn't be an overstatement," Harbaugh said Friday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN Chicago 1000. "We use his system still of calling plays and the way he taught us those concepts and techniques.

I've used (those) since I coached with the Raiders, the University of San Diego, Stanford and the 49ers. "He will do great and talk about long overdue. Marc Trestman becoming a head coach is well deserved, he will do a phenomenal job."

He says similar stuff about Walsh too, but looking at this offense, other than perhaps the first few months of the 2011 season, you really wouldn't know it.
Originally posted by kray28:
That was two wasted years searching for a replacement for Watters....and yeah, by the time they got Hearst, Seifert was gone.

After our last Super Bowl triumph we lost our offensive MVP Watters, and our defensive MVP Neon.The team searched for ten years to find a shutdown corner and never found one. Watters was a first rate pass receiver, I believe he caught 66 passes that Super Bowl year. No team can lose that much and get back to the top spot.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
After our last Super Bowl triumph we lost our offensive MVP Watters, and our defensive MVP Neon.The team searched for ten years to find a shutdown corner and never found one. Watters was a first rate pass receiver, I believe he caught 66 passes that Super Bowl year. No team can lose that much and get back to the top spot.

Even without Deion, the secondary was fine, the issue was that the offense became one-dimensional, that's how Green Bay beat them all those times, attacked the passing game and ignored the non-existent running game, would have been far more competitive with Watters out there for the 49ers. To me that was the single biggest free agency blunder this team ever made. Potentially cost them a Superbowl or 2, if not more. The very next season the 49ers went into Dallas with no Steve Young and still smacked around the Cowboys who would end up winning it all that season. Had they been able to get past Green Bay, they very well could have rolled into the Superbowl and rolled all over the overrated Steelers.
Trestman is extremely intelligent. When he was first hired by the Niners, he was already away from football. He was able to basically came to the Niners cold and got the offense running from Shanny with a lesser running game. I think he lacked seasoning and experience at the time to deal with adverse situations. He's much better equipped now to be a HC, not just a coordinator.

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

U wot mate?

49ers had the #1 passing offense under Trestman. Jerry Rice had the single best season of his career with Trestman calling the plays. And he was the only 49ers OC of that era to get it done without the benefit of a running game. BRB, going from Roger Craig to Ricky Watters to...........Derek Loville?

Jerry was overjoyed when Trestman was fired. Trestman almost caused Jerry to retire. Jerry also had one of his worst years the year Trestman canned. only 8 TDs and his receiving yards avg was way below normal.
Originally posted by boast:
Jerry was overjoyed when Trestman was fired. Trestman almost caused Jerry to retire. Jerry also had one of his worst years the year Trestman canned. only 8 TDs and his receiving yards avg was way below normal.

1995-Jerry Rice set the NFL single season receiving yards record...who was the OC that year?

Rice may have complained about Trestman, but that's because he adapted the offense, utilizing more short passes to try and compensate for the lack of a running game. Jerry didn't want to be used as a possession receiver. Trestman stated at the time that he was limited by personnel in terms of running a similar offense to what Shanahan had...IE....Derek Loville sucked goat balls.

Now what did Jerry say about Trestman when they were in Oakland together?

""Coming from the Niners, I don't feel like he got a legitimate shot," says Rice, who left the 49ers in 2001 to play for the Raiders, the same season Trestman joined the club after three seasons with the Arizona Cardinals. "So this is like another opportunity for him. And he's making the best of it"

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Raiders-coach-gets-last-laugh-on-49ers-2687422.php

"When Gannon accepted his M.V.P. award, he singled out Trestman, a well-worn veteran like himself.

''The thing I like about Marc is his aggressiveness,'' Gannon said. ''I feel like he's always in attack mode, and as players, we respond to that.''

Gruden said of Trestman, ''He probably doesn't get enough credit as a strategist in the N.F.L.''

"In 1996, Young led the NFL with a 97.2 passer rating and Rice topped the league with 108 receptions as the 49ers went 12-4 and made the playoffs for the fifth straight year. "He was an offensive innovator at that time, a great game-day play-caller," Young said Wednesday on ESPN. "But he's grown into the ability to actually be an orchestrator of a whole organization. This guy is ready. More than anybody, he's mature and experienced. It's time for Marc Trestman to be a head coach in the NFL, and I'm very excited for him."

"This is an exceptional hire for the Chicago Bears," Rice added on ESPN. "He's an offensive-minded coach. He's a great play-caller. He's a guru when it comes to quarterbacking."

"I think you're going to see a different quarterback, a guy that pretty much when he steps on the football field he knows exactly what he wants to do," Rice said.

"Marc Trestman is right up there with Mike Holmgren and Mike Shanahan. [The Bears] got an exceptional coach. [Cutler and Trestman] are going to build a relationship. I think it's going to be very similar to [Colin] Kaepernick and Jim Harbaugh [with the 49ers]."

"Marc Trestman is a very smart coach. He knows how to get next to this guy and bring out the best in him. I think with Jay Cutler, he just needs that type of relationship with a coach and that's going to bring out the best in him."

The 49ers problems stemmed from the front office miscalculating just how important Ricky Watters was and underestimating how difficult it would be to replace him. Derek Loville was an awful, awful running back with no vision. What that did was make the 49ers one-dimensional and they weren't a serious threat again until Garrison Heart, a legit starting RB, came along. Trestman simply became a convenient scapegoat for the fanbase's anger at having lost to Green Bay back to back. Its a shame, because he could have been a very good OC for a long time with the 49ers.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM ]

No..He was in Rocky IV

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
wish we had a qb like McCown
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
wish we had a qb like McCown

Share 49ersWebzone