LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Josh Gordon is a former Patriot

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
KO a woman - two games, get caught smoking pot a few times -1 year, what am I missing?

a persons inability to follow the rules after getting caught the 1st time. that shows a trend and a disregard for your privilaged position as a pro athlete. he also got dui while this was under appeal. not too bright.

This

I have to disagree. Ray Rice knocked his then girlfriend out drunkenly. If you read into Josh Gordon's actual weed "levels" they were literally miniscule. I get that the NFL sends a message that you shouldn't be a repeat offender... but for a drug that is being legalized across America and in small dosages.. it's ludicrous. If the guy is Rob Ford'ing this b***h then I totally agree with a YEAR suspension.

This does not bode well for Aldon Smith IMO.

Dont curr, get popped more than once and you know the penalty, you deserve everything you get. On top of that, you know the they only test in the offseason, and you still get caught? Youre a dumbass or just dont give af.

He or any other player who wants to cry about severity of punishment for dope over domestic issues, talk to your union prez, you signed off on the terms of the cba. Your own fault.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Aug 27, 2014 at 10:21 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I have to disagree. Ray Rice knocked his then girlfriend out drunkenly. If you read into Josh Gordon's actual weed "levels" they were literally miniscule. I get that the NFL sends a message that you shouldn't be a repeat offender... but for a drug that is being legalized across America and in small dosages.. it's ludicrous. If the guy is Rob Ford'ing this b***h then I totally agree with a YEAR suspension.

The Gordon suspension was collectively bargained in. NFL has no policy on suspensions for domestic violence.
Originally posted by Jcool:

The Gordon suspension was collectively bargained in. NFL has no policy on suspensions for domestic violence.

yeah thats the thing i think a lot of people dont understand. the drug program has protocols built in there, whereas the personal conduct policy is more of roger winging it. doesnt really seem to be any template for it.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Damn I drafted this dude in my fantasy league hoping he would get his suspension reduced, the nfl screws me again
I dont know who is more dumb,the clowns or Gordon. They knew this was comin, with Sammy sittin right there. CUT TIES w Gordon n move on?? No, you trade out of the spot. You gave Gordon a chance by signin him undrafted with all his baggage. He continued to f**k up. You took a chance, the bs continued. They had a chance to put it behind them and failed. Why stick by Gordon?? Makes 0 sense to me.

The subsequent trade made little sense to me. I understand the rationale, I just feel they didnt need Manziel as much as they needed a replacement for Gordon, a DB they could have got at another spot imho. IJS.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Aug 27, 2014 at 10:46 AM ]
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
I dont know who is more dumb,the clowns or Gordon. They knew this was comin, with Sammy sittin right there. CUT TIES w Gordon n move on?? No, you trade out of the spot. You gave Gordon a chance by signin him undrafted with all his baggage. He continued to f**k up. You took a chance, the bs continued. They had a chance to put it behind them and failed. Why stick by Gordon?? Makes 0 sense to me.

The subsequent trade made little sense to me. I understand the rationale, I just feel they didnt need Manziel as much as they needed a replacement for Gordon, the DB they could have got at another spot imho. IJS.

that cb they picked 8th better be as good as haden and fairly quickly. otherwise they will never live down passing on watkins
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:

The subsequent trade made little sense to me. I understand the rationale, I just feel they didnt need Manziel as much as they needed a replacement for Gordon, the DB they could have got at another spot imho. IJS.

that cb they picked 8th better be as good as haden and fairly quickly. otherwise they will never live down passing on watkins

Exactly
Originally posted by Jcool:

yeah thats the thing i think a lot of people dont understand. the drug program has protocols built in there, whereas the personal conduct policy is more of roger winging it. doesnt really seem to be any template for it.

Ahhh, I see. I didn't know they were separate entities like that. Makes more sense why the hammer was brought down so hard then...

Smith is a totally different case. Gordon's suspension was basically mandatory once the appeal was denied.
after the DUI, gordon's appeal was done! i mean he maybe could of had it reduced to 12 games had that not happened

I know there's a league drug policy, we understand, but Ray Rice is beating women unconscious and gets barely nothing while Gordon is losing a year of his career for smoking a joint. There is still right and wrong and this I would flat call a WRONG move by the NFL. f**k them.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,400 for crake49.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
I know there's a league drug policy, we understand, but Ray Rice is beating women unconscious and gets barely nothing while Gordon is losing a year of his career for smoking a joint. There is still right and wrong and this I would flat call a WRONG move by the NFL. f**k them.

Yes! I'm getting tired of hearing the old "well, that's the policy." The policy is wrong whether it's recreational or medicinal. It's legal for medical use in over half the states in the country and completely legal in two other states. By the end of the 2016 election cycle, it will most likely be totally legal in as many as 6 states and legal for medicinal use in possibly 35 out of 50 states. NFL players can take opiate-based pain killers that account for sixteen to eighteen thousand overdose deaths a year in this country and they can drink themselves into a stupor but they can't use a relatively harmless herb which has proven time and again to be an effective treatment for the kinds of pain, muscle and joint soreness that NFL players routinely experience on a daily basis. It's absurd.

For some reason, I feel compelled to say that because of certain consulting work I do for the government, I'm subject to random drug testing, so it's not like I'm a disgruntled pot smoker. I haven't smoked the stuff in over 15 years. But, I'd like to. I could be a crack head and since it leaves your system in less than a couple days, I'd pass the test. But if I ate the wrong cookie at a party three weeks ago, I'd possibly lose my ability to make income. Again, it's absurd.

And now we have the best receiver in the NFL who smokes a relatively harmless herb for whatever reason and he loses his job for a year. Meanwhile, another player beats up a woman and drags her across a public floor by the hair - two games. Sorry, but the policy makes no sense to me. I think it's a disgrace.
Aldon is at least trying to better himself.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Aldon is at least trying to better himself.

To me it seems like the NFL have made a huge error with the Ray Rice thing. You're right. You've got Aldon Smith, who checks himself into rehab, voluntarily misses five games, now has a child he's taking care of and hasn't really been a danger to anyone but himself when you look at the facts surrounding his DUI's and gun issues and he's looking at multiple games. On the other hand, you've got a violent act on a woman by Rice, who draws two games.

They've got to know that it's not going to look good if they bring the hammer down on Smith after slapping Rice's wrist.

Exactly.

Just like the Rams not picking a QB w/the picks they had.
Share 49ersWebzone