There are 148 users in the forums

Jon Baldwin Has Played His Last Game For The 9ers ?!

Shop 49ers game tickets
The KC Chiefs coaching staff thinks that AJ Jenkins is better than Jon Baldwin.

Think about that.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Rascal:
I think it's true Baldwin has played his last game this season, barring injury. Crabs, Ham, Boldin, and Osgood (special teams) will be the 4 that suit up on gameday. In a 4WR set, VD acts as a WR so only three real WRs are on the field (Ham, Crabs, Boldin). There is no longer a need for Baldwin. The coaching staff has tried to give him the jump ball routes and they have all failed for one reason or another. Unlike when he was with KC and was targeted with poor results (2 years KC: 99 targets/41 catches - yahoo stats), the 49ers will not continue to force the issue with Baldwin. He had his chances and did not achieve any success.

From his comments when he came on board, I don't think work ethic is an issue. He seemed enthusiastic about coming to the 49ers, learning from Boldin, and catching passes from Kap. It just hasn't materialized. I really hope he works on his burst (first two steps after changing direction). I think that is what is most lacking in his game. Notice all the throws that came his way this season, they were all straight ahead routes. No routes that involved cutting and changing direction. It's because he sucks at it and would lose separation when changing direction. He has the size which you can't teach, he needs the coaching staff to step up and guide him. Then he needs Kap to give him a chance.

That's the point, isn't it ? Take Seattle for example, who were these Golden Tates, Jermaine Kearses and Doug Baldwins of the world ? They are all balling for the Seahawks. Why can't we do the same fr the younger receivers ?

Jon Baldwin hasn't been given his fair opportunity. Do you call 9 targets in 7 games "had his chances" ?? Seriously ??

I can't speak for why the SEA WRs are succeeding so I won't try to answer those questions. I am serious though that Baldwin has had his chances. How many more times must the passes to him fail before the 49ers stop forcing the issue? He is limited in what he can do. Are you suggesting that the 49ers continue to try and make it work just for the sake of making it work? Why not just throw it Anquan or VD and move the chains? The 49ers are not at the stage where they can use game day reps to develop a WR. There is a playoff berth to win and continuing to try the same thing (throw to Baldwin on a go route) expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

at this rate its all moot anyways. the guy wont even be active on gamedays. boldin, crabs and manningham, with osgood active for sp teams. patton be healthy now and i bet he'd even get the call before baldwin.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Not surprising. This coaching staff has done next to nothing to prove they can develop young receivers. Don't like it. It needs to change.
I pray that JED do like His uncle did with Bill Walsh qhen they were not playing good,He threaten Bill get it right or else.....Jed is gonna have to make this Change at OC,WR Coach, QB coach.....these are the 3 things that are holding the offense back......I seen a Play last nite that Seattle ran tha fake the Saints out on a boot leg that had the tight-end wide open for a Big gain,same play that the Patriots ran against I believe might have been against the Jets where Brady rolled out on a boot leg and hit Aaron Dobson for a TD....How come Roman cannot call plays like that? andis Morton Jerry Sullivan 2.0?

Originally posted by dj43:
this

Seattle picks up a Harbaugh reject (Doug Baldwin) and Jerome Kearse (who?) to replace Sydney Rice and Percy Harvin, and blows out a team that beat the 49ers. This coaching staff has no clue how to use receivers. They depend on raw talent alone to make the passing game work…or sort of work.

yes I agree with you we NEED a Creative Mind for an O.C. Please JED make that Change

Is time to shake things up a bit. Seattle has surpassed us already. There will be a lot of work ahead if we were to reverse the situation. Got to draft better players, get a better OC, better WR and QB coach.
Not surprising. This coaching staff has done next to nothing to prove they can develop young receivers. Don't like it. It needs to change.
I pray that JED do like His uncle did with Bill Walsh qhen they were not playing good,He threaten Bill get it right or else.....Jed is gonna have to make this Change at OC,WR Coach, QB coach.....these are the 3 things that are holding the offense back......I seen a Play last nite that Seattle ran tha fake the Saints out on a boot leg that had the tight-end wide open for a Big gain,same play that the Patriots ran against I believe might have been against the Jets where Brady rolled out on a boot leg and hit Aaron Dobson for a TD....How come Roman cannot call plays like that? andis Morton Jerry Sullivan 2.0?

Originally posted by dj43:
this

Seattle picks up a Harbaugh reject (Doug Baldwin) and Jerome Kearse (who?) to replace Sydney Rice and Percy Harvin, and blows out a team that beat the 49ers. This coaching staff has no clue how to use receivers. They depend on raw talent alone to make the passing game work…or sort of work.

yes I agree with you we NEED a Creative Mind for an O.C. Please JED make that Change
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Yeah, you would think the common denominator would point toward Morton and I don't understand Harbaugh not holding him more accountable in the passing game. We have legit talent but its less and less production from the outside, the inside, the blocking, ...everything the last 3 years.

Has Harbaugh even fired anybody from the staff? I don't think he has.

I'm sick of the lack of dynamics in the passing game, but I'm most aggravated at continuous players drafted after our picks that produce at high levels. And Baalke needs to make a change to get guys in here to get it done scouting, coaching, and on the field

That might be a problem with Balke getting people in here that can coach our wrs and qbs and can put out a very good passing game plan week after week,because Romlan thinks if you can pass for 230 is blowing the roof of,he's crazier then a besty-bug...like I say small-minds have small-ways.
BS! I'm seeing teams get by and making playmakers out of mediocre receivers while this team consistently gets nothing out of what they have. Did you watch the Seattle game last night? None of those receivers would be #1 or even #2 guys on a lot if teams and yet they make them look like stars. Look at how Carolina is using Ginn. You cannot convince me this coaching staff cannot do better. If young receivers are always failing here that speaks a lot about the coaching, whose jobs are to develop them and enhance their strengths, not continue this trend of underachieving.

could not say it any better,I so agree,people are seeing the the same thing, what does that say about Harbaugh? He needs to make a move.
If the rumour is true, it would mean nothing has changed with the coaching staff in developing young wideouts. Sigh...

http://www.profootballcentral.com/2013/12/02/49ers-kaptain-kap-is-back/

Its just some rumor someone made up.

As one of the only three WRs under contract for next season (Crabtree, Baldwin, Patton) they are most definitely going to hang on to him. There is no reason not to at this point.

We can assume Manningham is not coming back and with the cap situation the 9ers find themselves in Boldin is no guarantee either (remember he refused any sort of pay cut to stay with the Ravens just months after winning the Super Bowl). Even if they draft a WR early they are going to need at least one more WR, even if they do retain Boldin.
also young TE's.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Not surprising indeed considering Baldwin SUCKS!!!!!! There's a reason he's been a wash out everywhere he's played. I'm sorry. I tried giving him the benefit of the doubt but the truth cannot be sugar coated. The coaches see him every day. Maybe he's lazy or he's just not very good period. You blame the coaching staff? How do you know he has the work ethic to succeed? Blaming the offensive coaches for everything on this board is getting old. Now its their fault that Baldwin blows?

He's washed out everywhere he's been? He was an All American/First team All-conference in college.

As a rookie he was injured in preseason and missed the whole thing, never a good thing for a rookie, but still had a couple big games once healthy. Last year in KC no one on offense did anything with their O-line, QBs (many of them), and coaching.

This year he's been buried on the depth chart on a team that almost never runs three WRs and doesn't often (as any other team) even run two.

Obviously he's not great and will never been an elite NFL player, but to scream he SUCKS!!!!! is retarded. Especially since you haven't really seen him play or practice. There is a long history of NFL players that didn't make much noise in their first few years for one reason or another that ended up being solid pros.
[ Edited by Gavintech on Dec 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM ]
BS! I'm seeing teams get by and making playmakers out of mediocre receivers while this team consistently gets nothing out of what they have. Did you watch the Seattle game last night? None of those receivers would be #1 or even #2 guys on a lot if teams and yet they make them look like stars. Look at how Carolina is using Ginn. You cannot convince me this coaching staff cannot do better. If young receivers are always failing here that speaks a lot about the coaching, whose jobs are to develop them and enhance their strengths, not continue this trend of underachieving.

Coaches don't take the ball from center on Sunday.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He looks better in KC. Strangely a lot better....

Uhhh, what? A lot better than zero production sure, but dude has 5 receptions in 12 games played. Lets not make it seem like something it is not.

Jon Baldwin has played his last game for the 49ers? How about Baldwin has hardly yet played his first game for the 49ers?. As Rascal said , 9 targets in 7 games? What that means is he has not even been test driven yet. And why is that, exactly, when in the game we played against the Saints, Brees completed 11(ELEVEN) passes to 11 different guys. ELEVEN! That says one thing and one thing only...our HC and especially our OC(especially offensive) have no faith in guys we drafted or in Baldwin's case, traded for, and then we DON'T even try to use him. If Brees can find 11 different guys to catch passes, one would think we could at least find 5 or 6, or 7. But no, roman has Boldin, Vernon and Crabs. Rarely has Vance been thrown to. But 9 targets in 7 games? That is inexcusably bad...to have talent and have no idea what it can do...on a team that needs more receivers. To hell with this #1 , #2 , and #3 business....if a guy lines up in a receiving position, then throw the damn ball to him , and more than on one occasion.

This is roman's fault, his inexperience not allowing him to use someone who isn't already a pass catching star. Crbs being out...should have paved the way to find out how Hunter, LMJ, Vance, and Baldwin could be used in our passing attack. But bonehead roman can only use the guys he personally trusts and cannot use new guys in any circumstance. That alone is a GREAT reason to fire his miserable azz. And worse, jim harbaugh has condoned this or else he would have forced roman to find out who else on our team could be a reliable pass catcher. In the games against the weak sisters, jags, etc, we should not have gone for the 30 pt win differential, we should have had LMJ, Baldwin, hunter, vance, out there being "tried out" as potential other dependable receivers. NOPE. Neither JImbo nor roman would hear of that, and just played to win...and win big.

I thought that jim H was a great coach, the re-embodiment of Bill Walsh. No, in fact, jimbo couldn't carry BW's jockstrap because he is so close minded and so afraid of change of any kind. Not trying out all your skill guys is a stooooopid, dumb ass mistake, and has come around to bite us in the azz. Shame on jimbo for not insisting on that. Waiting for crbs to return was C.S., and showed a remarkable lack of thinking out of the box, as Coach Walsh always did. IF BW had a receiver , bet your boots he knew what that kid could do, or not, and if not, brot in someone else who could catch...or run...or tackle,, or whatever. So jimbo has a great GM, he and trent seem to find pearls in the draft...only to be forgotten once they put on the uniform. That is shameful, because at this late date, NObody knows if hunter, or Baldwin or LMJ or vance are terrific receivers or not....because they were never tried out as such. Instead, Baldwin gets seven targets in 9 games, and he didn't get much chance with the few balls thrown his way.

So roman is a blockhead, with head stuck in the sand, and jimbo looks to him for all the O calls, and I guess the game planning too. Roman can win against college level teams like Skins, and jags, but cannot coach a W against the elites. Oh, well, in college if you win 10 or 12 games you get to keep your job... your season is a success...but in the pros, there is only one goal and that is the SB. Now we face a team I do not think we can beat with roman as OC. Nor with jimbo as HC. Until jim cuts the ties with roman, we are going to be 2nd in the NFC West for a long time. Their OC and HC are vastly superior to ours, something I would have thot incredibly stupid to say just a few short months ago. Re-signing roman for 2 yrs? You gotta be kidding . The guy is a novice, a failure against real elite teams. He thinks he is the world's smartest human, but when the going gets tough, he folds up like a cheap suit. Not knowing what Baldwin, LMJ, hunter or vance can do in the receiving department is inexcusably stupid. Yet that is what our OC has failed to do...apparently with the blessing of jim harbaugh. I honestly thot Coach H was better than that, but staying with roman proves that is false. Man, what a disappointment.

Oh, against SEA? Could we just mail that one in? Our QB is about half as good as theirs(in great part thanks to roman), our OC and HC are about half as good, and their D and O are better than us in most everything. The bad joke is we have terrific talent and have not tapped half of it. Shame on JH for not doing that, and starting with Baldwin, he should get that fixed ASAP. I actually thot Payton was the best coach in the league, but reluctantly, I now believe that title falls to Pete the Cheat...and that is both disgusting and disappointing. As a staunch jim harbaugh fan, I am losing confidence in him as the weeks fly by....and that just flat ass kills me. Go 9ers, but c'mon, Coach, you gotta get engaged with the Offense also. YOU should be calling plays like Payton, Bellichek, frequently Pete the Cheat.. It is obvious you don't feel comfortable doing so, (much to your detriment), but hanging onto the skirts of roman is just plain foolish, and in a way, chicken s... You are a way better coach than that, we all know it, you have revived our beloved 9ers, and now you are contributing to our slinking back into oblivion again, courtesy of your inept really offensive coordinator. Coach , please do us all a favor and fire this incompetent, call your own dam plays, and work on a great OC for next yr. Keeping roman on, not using talent we already have...those things are killing our team. Our inept playcalling...hell, if you can't do better than that I will eat my shoes. I KNOW you can do better.

So do it already. Go 9ers, Go Coach Harbaugh, and GO AWAY roman.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Dec 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Ginn was valuable to the team and he's having a nice year, but he's the fourth leading receiver on the 27th ranked passing offense. I wish we would have kept him too but lets not pretend like we let Calvin Johnson walk.

That's what happens in the WZ. They see a highlight of an ex-49er scoring a TD and all of a sudden the guy is an All-Pro, when the facts usually point to something different.

We let go "the fourth leading receiver on the 27th ranked passing offense", oh the humanity!
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Ginn was valuable to the team and he's having a nice year, but he's the fourth leading receiver on the 27th ranked passing offense. I wish we would have kept him too but lets not pretend like we let Calvin Johnson walk.

That's what happens in the WZ. They see a highlight of an ex-49er scoring a TD and all of a sudden the guy is an All-Pro, when the facts usually point to something different.

We let go "the fourth leading receiver on the 27th ranked passing offense", oh the humanity!
He may be the 4th leading reciever on the 27th rank pass offense but he would be the 2nd leading WR on our 31st ranked pass offense.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
He caught a pass last Sunday!

I was saying in another post that it was a big catch! It led them downfield to almost tie!
I think it's true Baldwin has played his last game this season, barring injury. Crabs, Ham, Boldin, and Osgood (special teams) will be the 4 that suit up on gameday. In a 4WR set, VD acts as a WR so only three real WRs are on the field (Ham, Crabs, Boldin). There is no longer a need for Baldwin. The coaching staff has tried to give him the jump ball routes and they have all failed for one reason or another. Unlike when he was with KC and was targeted with poor results (2 years KC: 99 targets/41 catches - yahoo stats), the 49ers will not continue to force the issue with Baldwin. He had his chances and did not achieve any success.

From his comments when he came on board, I don't think work ethic is an issue. He seemed enthusiastic about coming to the 49ers, learning from Boldin, and catching passes from Kap. It just hasn't materialized. I really hope he works on his burst (first two steps after changing direction). I think that is what is most lacking in his game. Notice all the throws that came his way this season, they were all straight ahead routes. No routes that involved cutting and changing direction. It's because he sucks at it and would lose separation when changing direction. He has the size which you can't teach, he needs the coaching staff to step up and guide him. Then he needs Kap to give him a chance.

That's the point, isn't it ? Take Seattle for example, who were these Golden Tates, Jermaine Kearses and Doug Baldwins of the world ? They are all balling for the Seahawks. Why can't we do the same fr the younger receivers ?

Jon Baldwin hasn't been given his fair opportunity. Do you call 9 targets in 7 games "had his chances" ?? Seriously ??

I can't speak for why the SEA WRs are succeeding so I won't try to answer those questions. I am serious though that Baldwin has had his chances. How many more times must the passes to him fail before the 49ers stop forcing the issue? He is limited in what he can do. Are you suggesting that the 49ers continue to try and make it work just for the sake of making it work? Why not just throw it Anquan or VD and move the chains? The 49ers are not at the stage where they can use game day reps to develop a WR. There is a playoff berth to win and continuing to try the same thing (throw to Baldwin on a go route) expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

"How many more times must the passes to him fail?" How about more than six times? Is that fair?

You telling me the 49ers are "forcing the issue" trying to get him the ball when he has less than 10 targets all season? On what planet does this make any sense?
Share 49ersWebzone