LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Jon Baldwin Has Played His Last Game For The 9ers ?!

Shop 49ers game tickets
I wanted and almost was baffled that Alshon Jeffrey was still on the board at #30 in the 12' Draft. He would have fit perfect, he's 6'2 225 similar build to Crabtree, comes from the SEC, has very good hands and decent speed, can create space like Crabs. It made all the sense in the WORLD, I literally had him PENCILED in and then........."With the 30th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, The SF 49ers select WR AJ Jenkins, Illinois".. And I was like WHOOOOO????? I watch College Football every year, I seen Alshon Jeffrey PRODUCE in the tough SEC vs the LSUs Alabamas and Georgias of the NCAA. Still baffles me. And if Alshon was gone, I wanted DE Kendall Reyes from UCONN, Another producer!!
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I wanted and almost was baffled that Alshon Jeffrey was still on the board at #30 in the 12' Draft. He would have fit perfect, he's 6'2 225 similar build to Crabtree, comes from the SEC, has very good hands and decent speed, can create space like Crabs. It made all the sense in the WORLD, I literally had him PENCILED in and then........."With the 30th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, The SF 49ers select WR AJ Jenkins, Illinois".. And I was like WHOOOOO????? I watch College Football every year, I seen Alshon Jeffrey PRODUCE in the tough SEC vs the LSUs Alabamas and Georgias of the NCAA. Still baffles me. And if Alshon was gone, I wanted DE Kendall Reyes from UCONN, Another producer!!

Yeah that's a tough pill to swallow. Our front office is one of the best, but one area they have scouted poorly is WR. Crabtree is the only successful draft pick, but he was a no-brainer.
  • dj43
49er coaches have no idea how to develop or use a receiver, be it WR or TE. It took Crabtree 3 years to absorb enough game experience to learn to play. Manningham came pre-packaged. Same with Randy Moss. Kyle Williams never got over the hump. Vernon Davis took 5 years to become half-way effective and still doesn't read defenses or adjust routes very well. Delanie Walker finally figured out a few routes and was a big better than Davis in some respects.

Now the 49ers move up to take McDonald and he does nothing other than block. All the while Tyler Eifert and Zach Ertz are putting up numbers with other teams.

No wonder Baldwin hasn't seen the field. No one knows how to get him ready. Of course the fact he managed to play reasonable well in the old mess that was KC has not impact on the greatness that is Jim Harbaugh. This staff is SO over-rated. (Tomsula excepted.)

If a young Jerry Rice walked onto the field they would probably tell him to go put on 15 pounds so he could block for the AR.

you may recall jeffrey gained alot of weight before th draft--not being in shape will cause your draft stock to fall
Im really thinking its not the WRS and TEs but infact, the coaching and passing game coordination is FAILING BIGTIME. If VD or Crabtree had a Manning, Rogers, Brady or Brees throwing to them, I'd be almost scared to see what SICKENING stats they would have, Crabs would be good for 90 grabs, 1700 yards and 20 TDs, VD would have 82 grabs, 1500 yards and 18 tds.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
wish niners had aj jenkins back

no worries... Brett Swain and Chad Hall will shine on Sunday
dude just isn't good
Originally posted by hofer36:

you may recall jeffrey gained alot of weight before th draft--not being in shape will cause your draft stock to fall

No he didnt. Before the draft he actually lost a lot of weight. It was his weight while playing that people worried about. I was real high on Alshon and everyone told me he was a fat ass, lazy, and slow. Then they would post that SI cover with him on it as some sort of proof. Jefferey was not a board favorite. Most people posting we should have picked him were the ones calling him fat and lazy.

Hell everyone thought i was nuts having him as a late first rounder, even guys that somewhat liked him.

Hindsight.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/24/alshon-jeffery-sheds-large-amount-of-weight-for-combine/

They really whiffed hard with the AJJ pick. Probably one of the biggest busts in this franchise history. Actually, it's hard to call AJ a bust considering Baalke made an enormous reach for a WR that had no business being selected higher than the 2nd or 3rd round. I was just skimming through Aj's highlights @ Illinois the other day and I just cannot see what the hell Baalke and the FO saw in him. Very average in almost every aspect other than speed, not to mention he couldn't break a tackle to save his life which should have been a red flag. The fact that we could have had Alshon Jeffrey just makes me sick to my stomach. Awful, AWFUL WR scouting and evaluating. I have no idea what it is with this team and receivers but everything from scouting/drafting to coaching is piss poor and mediocre.
Honestly, I wish the 49ers would Hire me to scout WRs for them, let me do it, I can tell who fits, who doesn't translate to the NFL. Obviously no one is perfect but how the hell did the 49ers, needing WRS the last 4 drafts outside of Crabs, not take Dez Bryant in the 10' Draft and not take Alshon in the 12' Draft?? Even if they got just one of those 2, this offense would be downright scary.

every time i see josh gordon's stats i get pissed off...
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
every time i see josh gordon's stats i get pissed off...

THIS!!!! Why not throw the Browns the KC 2nd rounder in October before the bye week, let him get some reps & playbook. Come in and start off easing into the offense and by late December he'll be a HUGE asset??? Dudes young just 23. Made a lot of sense, imagine if he played for a winner like the 49ers, he'd keep his nose clean.
Originally posted by dj43:
49er coaches have no idea how to develop or use a receiver, be it WR or TE. It took Crabtree 3 years to absorb enough game experience to learn to play. Manningham came pre-packaged. Same with Randy Moss. Kyle Williams never got over the hump. Vernon Davis took 5 years to become half-way effective and still doesn't read defenses or adjust routes very well. Delanie Walker finally figured out a few routes and was a big better than Davis in some respects.

Now the 49ers move up to take McDonald and he does nothing other than block. All the while Tyler Eifert and Zach Ertz are putting up numbers with other teams.

No wonder Baldwin hasn't seen the field. No one knows how to get him ready. Of course the fact he managed to play reasonable well in the old mess that was KC has not impact on the greatness that is Jim Harbaugh. This staff is SO over-rated. (Tomsula excepted.)

If a young Jerry Rice walked onto the field they would probably tell him to go put on 15 pounds so he could block for the AR.

I agree that the staff hasn't shown the ability to teach/develop receivers, but I don't think Baldwin is an example of that. He did nothing in KC (lets not rewrite history by saying he played reasonably well) and after spending an entire summer with Andy Reid, Reid decided that Baldwin had so little potential he'd rather have AJ Jenkins than him--Jenkins, who has similarly done nothing in KC.

Baldwin is a guy with nice size who doesn't have something intangible necessary to play in the NFL. Its a shame he couldn't resurrect his career with us when he needed him, but that's more on him than it is on our coaches. (again, not saying they're blameless when it comes to our receivers as a whole, but holding up Baldwin as an example of how "overrated" our coaching staff is, is pretty short-sighted).
  • dj43
[ Edited by dj43 on Dec 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM ]
I would assume with Crabs, Mario and now Patton back playing and Osgood so important to ST that Baldwin could get cut to make room for an O-line man this week.
Share 49ersWebzone