There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

AJ Jenkins Play & Coaches Letting Go of Good Talent

If AJ pans out, this will look very, very bad on Morton and the (offensive) coaching staff. Already looks bad enough he vouched for Johnson, a talentless WR he failed to develop when we could've had Baldwin and the young WRs have mostly underachieved under him. I wouldn't be surprised if Patton gets more pointers from Boldin and Crabtree.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
"ESPN's Louis Riddick said on NFL Insiders Monday that he's heard the Chiefs are "very excited about" third-year WR A.J. Jenkins. Riddick worked in Philadelphia's front office alongside much of Kansas City's current coaching staff, so he has notable ties. Acquired from the 49ers in exchange for Jon Baldwin last August, Jenkins showed some flashes in his first season with the Chiefs, posting a 3-67 line in Week 17 and catching a 27-yard pass in K.C.'s playoff loss. Still only 24 years old, there's an outside chance Jenkins could push to start opposite Dwayne Bowe in 2014."

If this happens, John Morton needs to be packing his s**t up that same day.

i agree, but will that happen? harbaugh seems pretty loyal to his guys, sometimes to a fault.
Yes we are letting go good talent. For the most part, this is a good problem to have. It means that our roster is already so talented that we either have to let other good guys go or that the roster is so talented that the margins between players is small enough that you can't always tell who really is the better player.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
My take is this team doesn't give many opportunities to back ups especially 3rd string guys at their natural positions (they play on special teams only) in game situations. If you look at a lot of box scores of blow out games you see two quarterbacks, 4-5 guys getting carries, and 10 guys catching passes. You don't see that with the current 49ers, and it is hard to get an accurate evaluation just by team practices alone. Some guys perform better with the higher intensity in a game situation and other guys crumble.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
"ESPN's Louis Riddick said on NFL Insiders Monday that he's heard the Chiefs are "very excited about" third-year WR A.J. Jenkins. Riddick worked in Philadelphia's front office alongside much of Kansas City's current coaching staff, so he has notable ties. Acquired from the 49ers in exchange for Jon Baldwin last August, Jenkins showed some flashes in his first season with the Chiefs, posting a 3-67 line in Week 17 and catching a 27-yard pass in K.C.'s playoff loss. Still only 24 years old, there's an outside chance Jenkins could push to start opposite Dwayne Bowe in 2014."

If this happens, John Morton needs to be packing his s**t up that same day.

i agree, but will that happen? harbaugh seems pretty loyal to his guys, sometimes to a fault.

Jenkins showed up out of shape to his first OTA. It was reported that he had trouble staying on his feet in practices because any contact and he'd go down. It seems like he dropped his bags once he was drafted and felt that he made it. If he is bouncing back in Kansas City then it is probably because getting traded was an eye-opener that he better start busting his butt again to stay in the league. The 49ers are Super Bowl or bust and keep up or get left behind... in his time here Jenkins was falling behind. Under the known circumstances of his time here... I think it is really low to 2nd guess the coaching staff or GM. They don't have time to nurse along guys who aren't playing up to par.
I'm bummed out that AJ never panned out for us. I knew it was a reach for us to select him in the first but I still figured he would have been a second day pick and a steal at that.. smh
Yea we gave up way to early on him 8 catchz 130 yardz Jon Baldwin 3 catchz 28 yardz...N yet we keep a waste like LMJ(that whinez N wantz out) around 12 carriez 59 yardz we f*ck up...
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
aj has the same body type as jimmy "dynamite" walker; not starting nfl material. it PROVES that baalke is a mere human and not much more skilled than most of us at recognizing talent. i had aj in the late 4th round, and i don't remember anyone on the boards who had him in the 1st or 2nd. so, how is it that we all were right and baalke was egregiously wrong?
Originally posted by xcfan:
aj has the same body type as jimmy "dynamite" walker; not starting nfl material. it PROVES that baalke is a mere human and not much more skilled than most of us at recognizing talent. i had aj in the late 4th round, and i don't remember anyone on the boards who had him in the 1st or 2nd. so, how is it that we all were right and baalke was egregiously wrong?

Congrats on your ability to draft better then the Niners organization.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by xcfan:

Congrats on your ability to draft better then the Niners organization.

seriously, sometimes I read posts on the zone and just don't know wtf to say. Listening to NFL Radio last night and a great point was made, I forget who said it but the point is good. The host said if a GM hits on 50% of his draft picks he's going to be getting a raise and keeping a job for a long long time. Think about that, this is not an easy job & I agree the AJ pick was horrible, the 2012 Draft wasn't good at all, but look at TBs body of work as a whole and it's very, very good.
Originally posted by matt49er:
seriously, sometimes I read posts on the zone and just don't know wtf to say. Listening to NFL Radio last night and a great point was made, I forget who said it but the point is good. The host said if a GM hits on 50% of his draft picks he's going to be getting a raise and keeping a job for a long long time. Think about that, this is not an easy job & I agree the AJ pick was horrible, the 2012 Draft wasn't good at all, but look at TBs body of work as a whole and it's very, very good.

Baalke has done really well with his free agent moves.
Morton really needs to be fired
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Morton really needs to be fired

Maybe he is the problem and not Roman. Cause the running game is still doing well.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
If AJ pans out, this will look very, very bad on Morton and the (offensive) coaching staff. Already looks bad enough he vouched for Johnson, a talentless WR he failed to develop when we could've had Baldwin and the young WRs have mostly underachieved under him. I wouldn't be surprised if Patton gets more pointers from Boldin and Crabtree.

Morton is certainly a part of the problem. He has now had two 1st round draft picks (Jenkins and Baldwin) and done NOTHING with them while BOTH have been more productive in KC.

When we look at what the 49ers now have at WR, Morton's failure is even more obvious. Neither of the two starters can really say Morton had much to do with their current position. Boldin came packaged for success from Baltimore. Crabtree was a consensus #1 overall pick before his injury allowed him to fall to the 49ers at #10. Crabtree was almost certain to be a successful NFL receiver based on his college production. Still, even allowing for his holdout and injuries, it should not have taken three years for him to begin to show up.

The list of other wide receivers that have come through this team is notable only in a continued lack of success. While Seattle is winning a Super Bowl with two starters (Baldwin and Kearse) that were backups at the beginning of the season, the 49ers can't get anybody on the field that did not come pre-packaged.

Something is definitely wrong here. It is difficult to accept that Harbaugh is satisfied with the lack of success at WR other than those two but he is the boss. For the most part, Harbaugh is still playing with the hand that was dealt him when he first got here. With the imminent departure of some starters that have unacceptable cap numbers and the need to replace them along with finding/developing a #1 WR, we will soon learn if he and his "offensive" staff can actually coach up players or just manage ones they are given.
[ Edited by dj43 on Feb 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM ]
Originally posted by matt49er:

This. The secret is that even great GM's generally miss more than they hit. Take any GM in the NFL, if they're good enough to stay in their jobs for at least 5 years, you'll be able to point to some huge, egregious busts. Ozzie Newsome has had about 4 or 5 ENTIRE drafts that were busts and he's still regarded as a brilliant talent evaluator.