There are 272 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins Play & Coaches Letting Go of Good Talent

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OC49erLuVeR:
Was just watching ESPN and the Chiefs Broncos highlights. Did you see AJ's 26 yard reception? Tough catch too! Anyone prefer to have Jenkins over Baldwin? Maybe the coaches didn't give AJ enough time? I know Baldwin had that tough endzone drop I believe against the Saints. Wasn't Jonathan's issue his hands with the Chiefs?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000291247/GameDay-Broncos-vs-Chiefs-highlights

Water under the bridge, but are we too quick to let go of young talent? I.e., we had at QB Daniels. Gamble with him and he goes to the she-hawks. Get Skelton. Dropped him. Get another no-name and drop him. So we have Kap, McCoy and Boldin as the 3rd stringer (who can sling it at FSU)?

I know there were money issues, but here's some good looking players we let go (feel free to add more I missed)

Ginn Jr (Star @ Carolina)
Jenkins
Walker
Daniels
Goldson (but too much $$$)
Tolzien (I think is better than McCoy)
JT O'Sullivan (LOL..jk here)

Sucked we had issues at WR this year, but we're picking up steam. Just thinking about Jenkins' play...lol...Seller's Remorse

All of the bold are useless and deserved to be released.

Edit: Other than Tolzien, he just wasn't a good fit at the time.
[ Edited by Kronos2560 on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
I get the point you're trying to make, but the examples you used are weak.

Ginn is a "star"?
Walker (too much $)
Goldson (too much $) < Reid
Tolzien (who cares)
BJ Daniels (was let go by SEA)
Skelton: why would you choose to mention him to present your case?
AJ Jenkins: he makes one good catch and it spurred you on to create this thread.

You list these examples then immediately counter your own argument by saying "I know there were money issues".

Let's look at some UDFA "bums" that the 49ers did not let go:
Alex Boone
Ian Williams
Tony Jerrod Eddie

Sorry as they were not the best examples...ended up rambling after my initial thought...At the end, those one big plays are huge. Jenkins helped put the chiefs in scoring position to possibly tie at the end. Baldwin's drop in the end zone could have been a game changer vs. the Saints. Doesn't it always come down to one big play to help us get the win?
[ Edited by OC49erLuVeR on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Exactly. You beat me to it. Some more UDFA "bums" we found:

Tramaine Brock
Michael Wilhoite
DeMarcus Dobbs

Wow, how could I have forgotten Brock. Thanks. I think it's pretty clear the 49ers are more likely to find a gold nugget in the dirt than let go of unrealized talent.
  • thl408
Originally posted by OC49erLuVeR:
Sorry as they were not the best examples...ended up rambling after my initial thought...At the end, those one big plays are huge. Jenkins helped put the chiefs in scoring position to possibly tie at the end. Baldwin's drop in the end zone could have been a game changer vs. the Saints. Doesn't it always come down to one big play to help us get the win?

That trade was a bust for bust trade. AJJ is a bit a weakling while Baldwin is a bit of a turtle. Both still have some upside, but each franchise was done waiting for it to materialize. I know it's frustrating to see that catch and think he could have done it wearing a 49er uniform, but for every catch AJJ makes, he probably gets rag dolled and loses on a run block twice as many times. Kyle was poo poo trying to run block and we saw Kap give it to him a few times after the play. AJJ would have made Kap do the same.
Originally posted by thl408:
That trade was a bust for bust trade. AJJ is a bit a weakling while Baldwin is a bit of a turtle. Both still have some upside, but each franchise was done waiting for it to materialize. I know it's frustrating to see that catch and think he could have done it wearing a 49er uniform, but for every catch AJJ makes, he probably gets rag dolled and loses on a run block twice as many times. Kyle was poo poo trying to run block and we saw Kap give it to him a few times after the play. AJJ would have made Kap do the same.

Agreed. Thank you for the insight. Congrats on the 1000 post too...hehe.
[ Edited by OC49erLuVeR on Dec 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM ]
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Ginn a star really 469 rec yardz make him a star ???

In all honesty we could have used his field stretching abilities during our dry spell at WR. Once AJJ didn't pan out we had no one to draw coverage away from VD and Boldin underneath. VD, a TE had to stretch the field for us. My only beef is that why did we not at least try to use Baldwin to stretch the field with his size/speed combination? Now we have Crabtree and Mario to help Q and VD get single coverage but we needed a Ginn earlier this season
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Ginn a star really 469 rec yardz make him a star ???

well it is literally 469 times as many yards as he had last year
Should have paid Walker. The other people were expendable. I will admit I wasn't sold on letting go of Goldson, but Reid has been every bit the player Goldson was (concussions do worry me though long term).
a thread praising AJ and Ginn, I've seen it all.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Too much talent on the team. Someone has to be cut...

Originally posted by 24plus25er:
a thread praising AJ and Ginn, I've seen it all.

Hold the presses. We have a late entry to the dumbest thread of the year award.

All of those players you listed are worthless. As for Delanie we could not afford to pay him.
AJ Jenkins still dropping passes that was put right in his hands 20+ yds down field. He seems to be 50/50 on any one of his catches. Smith put a beauty deep over Jenkins shoulder. The dude had it in both hands, but then dropped it trying to pull it in.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

All of those players you listed are worthless. As for Delanie we could not afford to pay him.

Originally posted by SportsFan:

"well it is literally 469 times as many yards as he had last year"

2013 = 469 yards = 4 TDs = Ginn = Worthless = Seriously???

It would have been nice to have Ginn vs. Caronlina or the Aints to stretch the field.
I've used toilet paper tougher tan AJ and more useful too.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
now post AJ's easy drop 2 drives before that. dude is f**king garbage

he has 2 catches this season.... same amount as baldwin

lol this.

funny but not quite accurate he had 3 catches vs the chiefs
Share 49ersWebzone