There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rules clarification - QB out of pocket

I can't find clarification on this "QB as a runner" rule - anyone help?

1. QB rolls outside the pocket, but doesn't tuck the ball to run (continues to hold it with his hand like he could pass it, but it the ball is down low while he runs), is he still protected by roughing the passer rule?

2. QB tucks the ball to roll out, essentially QB run action to the outside, but pulls up and threatens to pass, again, is he protected?

Essentially, it is pretty clear that the QB is protected in the pocket, and pretty clear when the QB is running the option what the rule is. But it seems like a huge gray area outside the pocket.
How the hell is it a gray area?
there is no gray area. the QB is only protected and deemed defenseless if he is in the ACT of passing the ball. If hes scrambling to make a throw, unless he's in a throwing stance/motion, he isnt protected and is an assumed runner.

atleast thats what i figured it to be.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
I can't find clarification on this "QB as a runner" rule - anyone help?

1. QB rolls outside the pocket, but doesn't tuck the ball to run (continues to hold it with his hand like he could pass it, but it the ball is down low while he runs), is he still protected by roughing the passer rule?

2. QB tucks the ball to roll out, essentially QB run action to the outside, but pulls up and threatens to pass, again, is he protected?

Essentially, it is pretty clear that the QB is protected in the pocket, and pretty clear when the QB is running the option what the rule is. But it seems like a huge gray area outside the pocket.

Can someone answer this who knows for sure, I want to know also. I have seen Kaep out of the pocket and fake like he was gonna throw but his intent was to fake the pass rusher and run the entire time. He fooled the pass rusher as if he was in the ACT of throwing the ball but his INTENT was the scramble for the first down.