LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Are the Panthers legit?

Shop 49ers game tickets
At 7-3 they're contending for the NFC South championship...two games w/NO coming up. They're also leading in the wild card race, so I have a hard time seeing what's not legit about that.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
At 7-3 they're contending for the NFC South championship...two games w/NO coming up. They're also leading in the wild card race, so I have a hard time seeing what's not legit about that.

i think the question is legit in terms of making noise in the playoffs as opposed to just making the playoffs.
Like I said in the nfl gameday thread, Panthers are who the 49ers should be this year. They're built just like us!

-Extra stout defense (elite front 7)
-Smash mouth running game
-Dual threat QB

Only difference really is that Cam has progressed to another level.

I honestly think they're the only team capable of beating the Seahawks in Seattle.
[ Edited by verb1der on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM ]
They're looking like the Seahawks from last year. Started off with good D, offense not quite there yet. Now offense is picking up and they are able to beat some big teams. Seahawks fortunate we played them at the beginning of the season and not now. Their team looks like it's heating up and Cam is definitely picking up his play. I think sometimes we all forget that in the NFL teams that do well for years will eventually drop due to high salaries that can't be maintained and player ages/health. And teams that aren't doing well for years will get better as they continue to develop their usually young players along with high draft picks from the bad years. So yes, Panthers are legit. If I remember correctly they got hot towards the end of last season too, but just a little too late.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Like I said in the nfl gameday thread, Panthers are who the 49ers should be this year. They're built just like us!

-Dual threat QB

If my midget QB RW had Cam's physical gifts combined with his leadership and passing skills he would be ridiculously scary, but then again my guess is his ability to scramble is due to his small size.
Yes, the Panthers are for real, and sadly we are not.

-Dual threat QB

I honestly think they're the only team capable of beating the Seahawks in Seattle.

Agreed, but I guess the only difference would be that Cam has been a longer starting QB if that counts for anything. Not making excuses for Kaep. He definitely needs to play a WHOLE lot better than what he's doing as of late. It's difficult to sit and watch him right now.
They are completely legit and I said it before they played us. Statistically the best D in the league. Cam is over the hump from last year and playing like he did rookie season. They have their full stable of RBs back, an elite TE and Lafell is finally rounding into form as a quality reciever so that you can't double cover an ageing Steve Smith every down.

People say they are built like us, but I actually think offensively they are us a year from now. Kap is having the exact same growing pains Cam had last year, we have one quality but aging vet at wide out and nothing else just like they did last year, our all world TE is in and out of the line up/ not 100% just like they had last year. The parallels are uncanny...

The difference in my mind and why we compete now, where they didnt then is our D is world class where as they just caught up in that category and are now putting it all together.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
we would've beat them if VD didn't get hurt. true story.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Yes I told everyone this since week 4 their defense is Legit and they are very very physical. They remind me a lot of us last year with a young inexperienced qb but cam has more tools and uses his weapons more effectively than Kap this year and thier defense is top 5 easy. They also are not afraid to take shots down field and let Cam be cam and let him run. Looks like we have to win out now to even make wildcard makes me sick

• nj9er
  • Veteran
They look like us first year Jim took over. Team on the rise could make noise in playoffs.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LanceQ:

-Dual threat QB

Agreed, but I guess the only difference would be that Cam has been a longer starting QB if that counts for anything. Not making excuses for Kaep. He definitely needs to play a WHOLE lot better than what he's doing as of late. It's difficult to sit and watch him right now.

Hate to say it but if we dont go all the way I think NFC belongs to carolina or saints.

-Dual threat QB

Newton progressed after a subpar 2nd year...
they're us two years ago..... but better......
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Nov 20, 2013 at 4:39 PM ]
Cam leads the NFL in 3rd Down conversion rate.
He is extending drives and Bc of it they lead the league with an average of almost 34 minutes of possession.
Share 49ersWebzone