There are 128 users in the forums

question on noncall at end of pats-panthers game

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
He's too far...and running int he wrong direction. You can clearly see when he realizes the ball is under-thrown and tries to slow down. By that time...the defender is moving forward to catch the ball. Unless Gronk is superman - he can't catch the ball. He'd have to make a complete stop...plant his foot and jump forward...while a defender is catching the ball and another defender between him and ball.

Disagree, he's starting to plant his foot to come back to the ball, but then it's Keuchly's hug/momentum that forces Gronkowski back another 5-6 steps.

When he's starting to plant his foot...the other defender is moving forward to catch the ball. There is no way Gronk can plant is foot and jump forward and make a play on that ball. The ball is ridiculously under thrown.

Gronkowski starts planting his right foot to come back right about 5 yds deep into the end-zone, his foot just inside the 'O' of CAROLINA...38 ends up catching the ball about dead-center of the 'O...that's what, the difference of maybe a few feet?

You really have no way of knowing what Gronkowski could have done...just as I can't say he would've caught the ball. But I do think absent Keuchly's interference, Gronkowski absolutely would have had the opportunity to compete for the ball.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Nov 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM ]
NEW NFL RULE:

In the last 20 seconds of a game, there are no penalties.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by maltz88:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
worst part is that they actually threw the flag,then just picked it up. It was pass interference since it happened when the ball was in the air.

..........but it's not pass interference if the ball is tipped or intercepted before the ball makes it to the receiver.

I think it's actually a good call. Horrible rule.

By the rule, what's to keep a defender from absolutely driving a receiver out of the way while a ball is in the air and letting another defender in the area make the int. unconstested?

that cant be the rule if the interference or hold prevents the receiver from getting too the ball before the interception--in other if the interference allows the db to make the int unimpeded, it had an effect on the play

But the ball was intercepted about 5 yards before it got to Gronk. There was no way he could have caught it.

Notice when Gronk first tries to slow down...he has gone past the defender who makes the INT. That defender is going forward and Gronk is moving back. He can not catch that ball. No penalty.

He cant stop from going backwards Bc there is a guy with his arms around him. Gron has the athletic ability to come back for the ball except for a 250lb defender's momentum and arms preventing it.

Gronk could have pushed Krackley out of the way but then that's called offensive PI. One guy played by the rules and got screwed for it. The other guy broke the rule and was rewarded for it.

Just another week is the new age NFL where there are so many new and convoluted rules that 60 year old guys with bad vision aren't able to adapt and we have this.

Refs gave us a double penetration this weeekend. OUCH.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I don't get this. So, Brooks - who is running towards a slightly bigger target in Brees than a football can't adjust in split second and hit him any lower...but Gronk in a split second can plant his foot...stop his momentum...make a half turn jump forward (at least 2-3 yards) and catch a poorly thrown ball which is gettin' intercepted 4 yards underneath him.

Classic webzone

...but Brooks can't adjust.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Gronkowski starts planting his right foot to come back right about 5 yds deep into the end-zone, his foot just inside the 'O' of CAROLINA...38 ends up catching the ball about dead-center of the 'O...that's what, the difference of maybe a few feet?

You really have no way of knowing what Gronkowski could have done...just as I can't say he would've caught the ball. But I do think absent Keuchly's interference, Gronkowski absolutely would have had the opportunity to complete for the ball.

The dude who intercepted the ball is ahead of Gronk and moving in the right direction. That was going to be intercepted.
[ Edited by 4ML on Nov 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM ]
I don't get this. So, Brooks - who is running towards a slightly bigger target in Brees than a football can't adjust in split second and hit him any lower...but Gronk in a split second can plant his foot...stop his momentum...make a half turn jump forward (at least 2-3 yards) and catch a poorly thrown ball which is gettin' intercepted 4 yards underneath him.

Classic webzone

Who said anything about Brooks?

I guess it's also classic for some to take the air of condescension when others happen to disagree.

Classic webzone

Apples and Oranges.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame

Classic webzone

uh...... idk if anyone is saying he would've made the catch. Doesn't change the fact that it's still pass interference.

On a running play, if there is holding on the other side of the field, they still call it. Would that defender have come all the way across the field and made the tackle? Probably not. Doesn't change the fact that the penalty occurred.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Classic webzone

uh...... idk if anyone is saying he would've made the catch. Doesn't change the fact that it's still pass interference.

On a running play, if there is holding on the other side of the field, they still call it. Would that defender have come all the way across the field and made the tackle? Probably not. Doesn't change the fact that the penalty occurred.

Bro...holding calls are different than PI. You can't call holding if the penalty occurred after the QB has released the ball. If Gronk was held before Brady had thrown the ball - then you've a legitimate point. It could have only be called PI...and the ball has to be catch-able. Even if Gronk plants his foot and jumps forward...the ball was intercepted at a point where Gronk wouldn't have reached. Had he been running in the same direction...then maybe...maybe...Gronk would have reach the ball but the fact that he had to make a complete stop and then jump...he wouldn't have come close.
i been saying it, teams need to adapt the seahawks philosophy in coverage. keep grabbing until they call it, then do it some more, they're not going to call everything.

• 4ML
  • Veteran

Classic webzone

Who said anything about Brooks?

I guess it's also classic for some to take the air of condescension when others happen to disagree.

First of all...it was directed towards folks who pointed out that Brooks can't adjust in a split second in the NT. If you didn't bring that up...it wasn't directed towards you. That should be very clear from my post.

Secondly...there is no air of condescension from me. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy here. If I came off as that...my bad. That was not my intention.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
i been saying it, teams need to adapt the seahawks philosophy in coverage. keep grabbing until they call it, then do it some more, they're not going to call everything.

I remember Pats used to that all the time when they won 3 rings in 4 years.

ty law was wicked good at it
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

ty law was wicked good at it

He held Marvin Harrison all game every time they played the Colts lol
This just goes to prove that the Refs determine how games end. Its all ran by the Mob
Share 49ersWebzone