LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

More proof that NFL refs are very biased in calling games.

Shop 49ers game tickets
I hope I don't sound like a wack job in saying this but I think we could get a serious class action lawsuit going against the NFL with all this inconsistency from the refs and the way the NFL enforces the rules. As fans of the NFL we spend too much money on tickets, merchandise, fantasy teams, gambling and everything else that comes with the sport for them to operate in this fashion. This is getting out of hand, even the NBA isn't this bad. Hell Stern made the league more friendly if you ask me by taking out all that ridiculous flopping players do.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I hope I don't sound like a wack job in saying this but I think we could get a serious class action lawsuit going against the NFL with all this inconsistency from the refs and the way the NFL enforces the rules. As fans of the NFL we spend too much money on tickets, merchandise, fantasy teams, gambling and everything else that comes with the sport for them to operate in this fashion. This is getting out of hand, even the NBA isn't this bad. Hell Stern made the league more friendly if you ask me by taking out all that ridiculous flopping players do.

The NFL is classified as entertainment under law. I believe someone tried to do just this and the ruling (the NFL even argued this) was that the defendant paid for entertainment and received entertainment.
IMO The rule changes allowing ref calls to dramatically impact games over the last few years are starting to remind me of the days when Don King started fixing, er, um, I mean promoting fights. Fixing went from a possiblity to blatantly obvious which is where the league is heading.
The SB has already been decided in November. Its between the Saints and Broncos, with the Broncos winning it followed by Manning's retirement. Ray Lewis style, right now Goodell is all about publicity and fame. He wants to go down as the Commissioner with the most Hall of Famers winning Super Bowls, makes him looks like the best NFL Commissioner ever.
so matt ryan's blow to the head wasn't a penalty but brees was???/
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by pdizo916:
so matt ryan's blow to the head wasn't a penalty but brees was???/

That sounds fair right!!!
Penalties don't seem to exist in either C-Link, or the Superdome.
Originally posted by vermonator:
Now lets go in to the NFL Films vault and find all the triumphant plays replayed by the NFL to help recruit new fans, including children. How about the taunting of Brian Sims by Jack Lambert which the NFL reruns in memorial, even though, in their words is bad sportsmanship yet they continue to replay what is now illegal.
Check out how Lambert tackled...

The NFL gives him a bronze statue but everybody else gets 15 yards and a fine. What a bunch of hypocripts! Maybe we should start censoring the Hall of Fame then?

I don't like this soft watered down version of football that the NFL is moving towards but, I also don't agree with this argument. Arguing that this is how thing used to be and then saying that in order to promote safety and not be a hypocrite the NFL must remove the accomplishments of an older generation is kind of hog wash my friend. I believe that these new rules for the most part are well thought out and very poorly executed. Referees should not be infallible and refusing to use the technology that is already there to make sure a defender who has worked his tail off to get a good clean hard hit doesn't get penalized is beyond reason. Eric Reid is a perfect example of a defender who doesn't have viscous intent lays the wood and does it legally. Unfortunately he has two concussions early in his career as a reward for it.

I know the current system isn't the answer but, i'm not too sure what the answer really is. I don't want to hear that my favorite players like Gore, Willis, Bowman, and company are slobbering on themselves because of brain damage in the future.
Originally posted by vermonator:
Now lets go in to the NFL Films vault and find all the triumphant plays replayed by the NFL to help recruit new fans, including children. How about the taunting of Brian Sims by Jack Lambert which the NFL reruns in memorial, even though, in their words is bad sportsmanship yet they continue to replay what is now illegal.
Check out how Lambert tackled...

The NFL gives him a bronze statue but everybody else gets 15 yards and a fine. What a bunch of hypocripts! Maybe we should start censoring the Hall of Fame then?

I don't like this soft watered down version of football that the NFL is moving towards but, I also don't agree with this argument. Arguing that this is how thing used to be and then saying that in order to promote safety and not be a hypocrite the NFL must remove the accomplishments of an older generation is kind of hog wash my friend. I believe that these new rules for the most part are well thought out and very poorly executed. Referees should not be infallible and refusing to use the technology that is already there to make sure a defender who has worked his tail off to get a good clean hard hit doesn't get penalized is beyond reason. Eric Reid is a perfect example of a defender who doesn't have viscous intent lays the wood and does it legally. Unfortunately he has two concussions early in his career as a reward for it.

I know the current system isn't the answer but, i'm not too sure what the answer really is. I don't want to hear that my favorite players like Gore, Willis, Bowman, and company are slobbering on themselves because of brain damage in the future.
  • hps49
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for hps49.
NFL is rigged.
It's like how we use to watch wwf back in the day. Entertainment.

Nfl celebrates and markets players who today would be fined, suspended and villified. What a double standard and a joke.
  • NONAME
  • Go Raiders
Originally posted by hps49:
NFL is rigged.
It's like how we use to watch wwf back in the day. Entertainment.

Said the same thing
  • Jiks
Both NFL and NBA are rigged IMO. Especially NBA because a ref can impact and change a game at any moment. They are the ones controlling the flow. Always wondered how they call a tick tack foul on one guy, then that same guy they called a foul on gets hammered and it's a no call. There is absolutely no consistency, it all depends on the players name on the jersey.

Same could be said for NFL. Look at all the robbing the Seahawks secondary got away with. You watch any other game and they make that call.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Both NFL and NBA are rigged IMO. Especially NBA because a ref can impact and change a game at any moment. They are the ones controlling the flow. Always wondered how they call a tick tack foul on one guy, then that same guy they called a foul on gets hammered and it's a no call. There is absolutely no consistency, it all depends on the players name on the jersey.

Same could be said for NFL. Look at all the robbing the Seahawks secondary got away with. You watch any other game and they make that call.

I feel the same way. The Saints will get the benefit because they don't want them leaving town (do to low attendance). Seattle gets the benefit due to the fact they have a new stadium they need to sellout, and they want to keep them in Seattle; remember this team only recently became popular and sold out their stadium.

The 49ers are leaving the Stick and moving to a new stadium. They don't have to sell out or even be a playoff contender because they will be new and shiny next year. If the NFL wants a great story, the 49ers may be the benefactor of favorable officiating.

I'm starting to feel like I'm watching the WWE instead of real sports.

The same goes for College Football. Basically, the conferences rig (to the best of their ability) which teams win in conference play. This is for Bowl benefit.
There was a paradigm shift in the Goodell era, the NFL is no longer in the buisness of being sheppards of the game that people know and love. They are now in the buisness of creating stars to continue their money printing machine. If that means biased calls that protect only those who have achieved a certain level of fame or allowing a kid who has mike skills that turn a post game presser into a WWE promo to cheat on the field and off as well...then that is exactly what they are going to do.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Nov 22, 2013 at 7:57 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone